This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lincoln Center Festival 2017

10 hours ago, alexL said:

Yes, I regret for not seeing her more often when she was dancing the role more often. It seems like she's moved on to dance more principal roles now.

She did dance it when NYCB last did Jewels, in fall 2016.

3 hours ago, nanushka said:

She did dance it when NYCB last did Jewels, in fall 2016.

Yes I did see her last year but I think she was cast in the role more frequently before. I think I've seen Lowery and Kikta as well and they were all underwhelming. 

17 hours ago, alexL said:

Yes, I regret for not seeing her more often when she was dancing the role more often. It seems like she's moved on to dance more principal roles now.

“I’m weirdly possessive of it. That’s my ballet!”

This quote from a recent NY Times piece on the Lincoln Center Festival's presentation of Jewels suggests that Reichlen isn't necessarily eager to give up the role.

I'd also suggest that her great performance of it has either given the role principal status, or perhaps restored it. Balanchine created the Tall Girl role on Patricia Neary; I think she may have left the company while still a soloist, but she did perform many principal roles. I think it's notable that both the Times and NYCB have showcased Reichlen's Tall Girl rather than the principal couple in their promotional pieces about the ballet. (Here is NYCB's: http://www.nycballet.com/ballets/j/jewels.aspx

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

33 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

“I’m weirdly possessive of it. That’s my ballet!”

This quote from a recent NY Times piece on the Lincoln Center Festival's presentation of Jewels suggests that Reichlen isn't necessarily eager to give up the role.

I'd also suggest that her great performance of it has either given the role principal status, or perhaps restored it. Balanchine created the Tall Girl role on Patricia Neary; I think she may have left the company while still a soloist, but she did perform many principal roles. I think it's notable that both the Times and NYCB have showcased Reichlen's Tall Girl rather than the principal couple in their promotional pieces about the ballet. (Here is NYCB's: http://www.nycballet.com/ballets/j/jewels.aspx

I think you are right. It was initially a principal role but lately it has been danced by soloists except Reichlen. Is it simply because there are more tall soloists than principals? 

I'm glad to know that Reichlen has a special attachment to the role. For some  odd reason I thought she'd prefer to be the lead in Diamond (she is wonderful in it as well).

33 minutes ago, alexL said:

I think you are right. It was initially a principal role but lately it has been danced by soloists except Reichlen. Is it simply because there are more tall soloists than principals? 

I'm glad to know that Reichlen has a special attachment to the role. For some  odd reason I thought she'd prefer to be the lead in Diamond (she is wonderful in it as well).

Neary was not included in the iconic (and gorgeous!) publicity portraits taken with Balanchine and the costumed female leads, though both Verdy and Paul were included from Emeralds. That doesn't necessarily indicate how he conceived of the role, of course, and it's certainly a substantial part. Reynolds' Repertory in Review indicates that it was subsequently danced by Karin von Aroldingen, Renee Estópinal and Marnee Morris.

Edited by nanushka

25 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Neary was not included in the iconic (and gorgeous!) publicity portraits taken with Balanchine and the costumed female leads, though both Verdy and Paul were included from Emeralds. That doesn't necessarily indicate how he conceived of the role, of course, and it's certainly a substantial part. Reynolds' Repertory in Review indicates that it was subsequently danced by Karin von Aroldingen, Renee Estópinal and Marnee Morris.

Indeed, she wasn't - so here's a nice 1967 Martha Swope studio portrait of her in her Rubies togs, courtesy of the NYPL: https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/841285b0-9f98-0130-3e79-58d385a7bbd0

Balanchine did create challenging and iconic Tall Girl roles, but I don't think they were privileged roles in quite the same way that say, Symphony in C's second movement ballerina's is. To me the Rubies Tall Girl is akin to the second ballerina in Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2 - a big deal, but not the biggest deal.

Edited to add: Just for fun, here's a page full of Swope's 1967 publicity photos for Jewels. There are quite a few of Neary, but she's always solo. (Again, the photos are from the NYPL's digital archives.)

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

All I can say is Reichlen definitely made the role the biggest deal for me! 

Does anyone know how tall Patricia Neary was? I wonder how "tall" the dancer has to be for the role. It seems like majority of them are 5'8" and taller. 

9 minutes ago, alexL said:

Me too! That's my clue that she's either transformed the role or really plumbed its full potential. 

Maria Korowski has also danced the Rubies Tall Girl, although I don't know if it was when she was in the corps, or as a soloist or principal. She was a soloist for something like five minutes before being promoted to principal, so who knows ...

1 hour ago, alexL said:

Does anyone know how tall Patricia Neary was? I wonder how "tall" the dancer has to be for the role. It seems like majority of them are 5'8" and taller. 

I agree she's fantastic in it!

Don't know about Neary's height. I often wish there were a database somewhere with stats on every dancer, including height.

(Someone with too much time on their hands really should start working on that...)

Edited by nanushka

3 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Ballet Baseball Cards ...

Yes!

Now what do we want to know?  Height, apparently, but what else?

My choices:

training

companies danced for, with dates

roles danced (would have to be truncated somehow)

roles created (probably just an asterisk on the "roles danced" listing)

What am I missing here?

Edited by sandik

On the Bolshoi side, Semyon Chudin was injured mid-performance on June 12 and has withdrawn from all his performances since then, including a series of galas in Mexico over the past week. Perhaps, as with Mearns, his aim has been to rest and recover in time for the festival.

8 hours ago, sandik said:

Yes!

Now what do we want to know?  Height, apparently, but what else?

My choices:

training

companies danced for, with dates

roles danced (would have to be truncated somehow)

roles created (probably just an asterisk on the "roles danced" listing)

What am I missing here?

Head shots, staged studio portraits, or performance photos? Physical cards or eCards that one flips through in an app on one's phone? If the latter, there's no need to truncate anything: disclosure triangles, tabs, and hamburgers are a thing. 

Since I'm all for sharing the joy of the art form, I think I'd forgo engineering the kind of scarcity built into the baseball card market, not to mention predatory in-app purchases. 

Next on the list: fantasy ballet. Pick your roster and your repertory and watch your season crash and burn as injuries mount -- or soar to new heights with unexpected promotions ... 

I really do have half a mind to do the cards ... 

23 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

A phone app is a brilliant idea. Start a GoFundMe page, I have no doubt you'd get a lot of support from many on here!

Gathering the data (and keeping it up-to-date) would probably be a heavier lift than building the app! Also, dancer buy-in would be a MUST simply as a matter of respect, leaving aside whatever rights (to images, e.g.) and AGMA issues might be lurking out there. 

I'd pitch it as an audience development tool rather than a money-making opportunity.

But it could be done. 

On 7/16/2017 at 5:27 PM, alexL said:

Tell that to Kevin O'Hare.  Ironic that Neary has had to cast "medium" height girls in her part ever since Yanowsky retired the role.  

17 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Head shots, staged studio portraits, or performance photos? Physical cards or eCards that one flips through in an app on one's phone? If the latter, there's no need to truncate anything: disclosure triangles, tabs, and hamburgers are a thing. 

Since I'm all for sharing the joy of the art form, I think I'd forgo engineering the kind of scarcity built into the baseball card market, not to mention predatory in-app purchases. 

Next on the list: fantasy ballet. Pick your roster and your repertory and watch your season crash and burn as injuries mount -- or soar to new heights with unexpected promotions ... 

I think you could keep this original pretty simple -- a link to the company website would probably be the best image, and then links to any personal pages if you're hoping for more.

As much as I love printed things, I think your intuition about an electronic format is the better choice. 

My sister works for a fantasy football magazine -- it is indeed a complex world.