This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lincoln Center Festival 2017

On 6/7/2017 at 10:54 AM, canbelto said:

Taming of the Shrew is selling very poorly. But they also haven't dropped prices either.

Reading this I had a sudden horrified thought that if Taming of the Shrew doesn't eventually sell very well, then for all eternity New York will only see the Bolshoi in the Grigorovich Swan Lake and Spartacus. On the other hand, I would sort of like Lincoln Center to be put on notice that the super high prices they are trying out for this run won't pass muster. 

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Reading this I had a sudden horrified thought that if Taming of the Shrew doesn't eventually sell very well, then for all eternity New York will only see the Bolshoi in the Grigorovich Swan Lake and Spartacus.

Ah, but we got to see three performances of their quite spectacular Don Quixote, too, that season - the gold standard, even if they couldn't squeeze the entire production onto the State Theater stage.

I gotta admit that I kind of of enjoyed Spartacus. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that I ended up going to every show. It looked quite spectacular from upclose!

I equally enjoyed all three DonQs especially Krysanova's. I'm looking forward to seeing her again in Taming of the Shrew. 

I enjoyed the Bolshoi's last visit to NY too--but I still think it would be great to get a wider variety of repertory. More like what London gets. 

Edited by Drew

I believe poor ticket sales are related to the programming.  People like me want to see Grigorovich.  I bet revised programming to include Grigorovich ballets would cause ticket sales to go through the roof just like they did a couple of years ago.  Plus last time they had some nice early discounts if you bought all three ballets (which I did of course). 

Personally, I love Spartacus, and would be thrilled to see it again and again.  Maybe the Bolshoi should come for four weeks so we can see Don Q, Spartacus, The Golden Age and Ivan the Terrible. …..

I don't think the pricing has been this high in the past?  When they performed Swan Lake, I remember purchasing a 30 dollar 2nd tier side seat (pretty far forward towards the stage, where a good bit of the stage is cut off), that same ticket this year is now 90 dollars.  And if you want to sit in the back side of 2nd tier it's 175 dollars (it's normally 90 dollars for NYCB tickets).  Add in a ballet I'm not so sure I'd like, and there is NO way I'll pay for that.  

If the tickets were more reasonably priced, I'd gladly see more than one performance of Jewels, but 150 for my first ticket is enough money for me to spend.

Edited by Kaysta

30 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

I don't think the pricing has been this high in the past?  When they performed Swan Lake, I remember purchasing a 30 dollar 2nd tier side seat (pretty far forward towards the stage, where a good bit of the stage is cut off), that same ticket this year is now 90 dollars.  And if you want to sit in the back side of 2nd tier it's 175 dollars (it's normally 90 dollars for NYCB tickets).  Add in a ballet I'm not so sure I'd like, and there is NO way I'll pay for that.  

If the tickets were more reasonably priced, I'd gladly see more than one performance of Jewels, but 150 for my first ticket is enough money for me to spend.

I agree.  I have NEVER seen such ridiculously high prices for any company, visiting or otherwise.   I think center orchestra is $500 for Jewels and $200 for Taming.  BTW - I'm pretty sure they reduced those $200 Taming tickets from $250 a while back.  I doubt that has helped ticket sales.

Edited by NinaFan
Hit enter before I was finished

Yes, these ticket prices are about three times higher than what they were for the POB's season five years ago. And in that case the company brought three programs and a larger group of dancers. I also suspect that six performances of The Taming of the Shrew are too many. New York couldn't really be described as a Maillot-loving sort of place.

Edited by volcanohunter

The ticket prices and the number of performances are definitely a significant factor in poor ticket sale.  I am really surprised that the prices were set that high--after all, this is not one of the 19th century classics with a large cast and expensive sets. What I remember from the cinema broadcast, it only has a dozen of characters and essentially no sets. And the costumes are what can be classified as "El Cheapo". Big miscalculation, I think, on the part of the festival organizers. I'll catch it next year in Costa Mesa where the prices will hopefully be more reasonable. 

Edited by Dreamer

Lordy! Those ticket prices! I'd planned to give Jewels a miss (life is short and I've already seen it more times than I really need too ...), then had some second thoughts and wandered over to the Festival website to see what might still be available and :jawdrop: Whoah! Scrapped that plan real fast. 

Definitely skipping this, even though some great dancers are scheduled. I'd make the extra effort for a fully-staged traditional classic like Sleeping Beauty but not Jewels or Taming. Looking forward to reports!

I have decided to take a pass--money is a factor though in my case work is the major one. But I actually would very much like to see Taming of the Shrew especially when it's still being danced by its original cast, and I think the ballet fits with much of the Lincoln Center Festival ethos of presenting new and/or offbeat productions of classics etc.  But except for the possibility of seeing Smirnova in Diamonds, I have little interest in the three-company Jewels--which I hardly think is going to produce any revelations. So, although I'm a little disappointed to be missing the Bolshoi and doubtless will be more so when I read everyone's reports--at any rate I'm not quite as disappointed as I might have been. 

7 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

If they were doing Spartacus or La Bayadere (or even SL), I'd probably cough up the money. 

Or even Flames of Paris. That ballet doesn't require a fancy set anyway and the usual cast for Flames of Paris and Taming are pretty much identical. 

I'm excited to see Taming of the Shrew but at the same time I want more variety. 

I'm actually going to multiple Jewels performances because I rarely get to see POB live. However, I'd much prefer a standalone performance by POB in a more classical rep. 

9 hours ago, canbelto said:

It looks like they've quietly lowered the prices in some second and third ring seats to $80.

It's funny because they actually have increased the price for the cheapest ticket in Jewels from $55 to $75!! All other sections' pricing seems to be the same. Thank God I snagged those cheaper seats early on :/

56 minutes ago, alexL said:

This might sound a little weird but I'm most excited about seeing Reichlen's tall girl 3 times. 

Not at all -- we learn so much about someone's dancing when we see them in a concentrated situation.

4 hours ago, alexL said:

This might sound a little weird but I'm most excited about seeing Reichlen's tall girl 3 times. 

Not weird at all! I'm loathe to say "best Rubies tall girl ever," but facts are facts. :wink:  In all seriousness, Reichlen's Rubies tall girl just about walks off with the show. Treasure every chance you get to see her in the role.