This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lincoln Center Festival 2017

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

That's sort of what I thought I should do (and just not let it lapse this time)...But then -- partly because of the increasingly high base-level ticket prices and partly for other reasons, I'm thinking of focusing more of my ballet-travel budget on Kennedy Center. It might make more sense for me to become a Kennedy Center friend!

The $60 basic membership at Kennedy Center is a good deal -- priority ticket buying and lots of reminders when those come up on the schedule:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/membership/index

Updated release:

ANNOUNCING LINCOLN CENTER FESTIVAL 2017
JULY 10–30

20 International Productions and 43 Performances
by Innovators and Iconoclasts in Dance, Music, Theater, and Film

Hailing from Syria, Israel, Palestine, Tunisia, Chad, Cape Verde, China, Japan, England, Germany, France, Poland, Russia, Brazil, Cuba, Canada, USA

80ba4299-6df1-4cd2-92ac-146add286b5f.jpg

March 22, 2017 — Nigel Redden, Lincoln Center Festival Director, today announced the lineup for the 2017 Festival, which runs from July 10 to 30. This summer, in its 22nd season, the Festival continues to accentuate its mission of globalism by inviting to Lincoln Center artists and companies from many parts of the world who are creating audacious, original, and relevant work. Musicians, actors, writers, directors, filmmakers, and dancers from a dozen countries and five continents will animate Lincoln Center’s campus venues with bold creations—43 performances packed in a span of three weeks.

Redden notes: “One thing that has emerged as a theme this year—because the world has certainly changed since the 2016 Festival—is that our international festival has become about borders and specifically about crossing them.” Two theatrical productions from Israel and one from Syria offer powerful commentary on the links between place and identity, love and family, hope and despair; a global miniseries, Nomadic Nights, sheds light on an eclectic array of musicians whose art knows no boundaries; and several cross-cultural collaborations create rich dialogues between East and West.

“The point of the Festival has always been to provide perspectives that we wouldn’t have had otherwise,” remarks Redden. Thought-provoking plays such as David Grossman’s To the End of the Land, Amos Gitai’s Yitzhak Rabin: Chronicle of an Assassination, and Omar Abusaada and Mohammad Al Attar’s While I Was Waiting force the audience to think about how it would deal with the unimaginable, the things life throws at us. A more scientific and psychological quest for understanding what it means to be human reveals startling insight in Opening Skinner’s Box, an Improbable Theatre London import.

A much-anticipated highlight of this year’s Festival is the 50th anniversary presentation of George Balanchine’s 1967 masterpiece, Jewels, featuring the Bolshoi Ballet, New York City Ballet, and Paris Opera Ballet on a single stage. “We are celebrating Balanchine, one of the singular creative artists who founded Lincoln Center, in a way that reveals the roots of his ideas and training in Russia, France, and America,” says Redden. Lincoln Center Festival will also offer a special lottery for Jewels with $20 orchestra seats available for each performance (lottery details will be announced at a later date).

A very different 50th anniversary is celebrated on the same day that Jewels kicks off: American electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick’s iconic early techno album Silver Apples of the Moon, which was released by Nonesuch in 1967 and will be reimagined in a landmark live performance by the composer, alongside a world premiere entitled Crowds and Power.

These events reveal yet another thread in this summer’s offerings: artist-heroes who forge their own paths. In addition to Balanchine and Subotnick, there is the Japanese Paris-based choreographer Saburo Teshigawara , an extremely rare appearance by China’s superstar Gong Linna, Brazil’s larger-than-life musician/activist Carlinhos Brown, Poland’s musical archaeologist Maria Pomianowska, and a wide-ranging miniseries devoted to jazz radical and prime innovator Ornette Coleman—organized by his son, Denardo Coleman.

Tickets for Lincoln Center Festival go on sale to Friends of Lincoln Center beginning March 22 and to the general public starting March 29. For more information and to buy tickets, visit LincolnCenterFestival.org or the David Geffen Hall Box Office or call CenterCharge at 212.721.6500.

2 hours ago, California said:

Typical of Lincoln Center Festival: I am a member of Friends of Lincoln Center and re-sign up each year to be on the Festival e-mailing list. But the first I'm hearing about this year's festival is a NY times article and the web page. No email to Friends...

http://www.lincolncenter.org/lc-festival/

I complain a lot about the Lincoln Center Festival, so I should report that an e-mail announcing the season with information on pre-sale just arrived Wednesday afternoon. Better late than never!

Holy price inflation for Jewels.  I just bought my one (and only) ticket for the Saturday matinee.  150$ for 3rd ring side!  Would have liked to have possibly seen two casts, but I'm not paying for another performance.  Lots of good seats still available though.

For me, a trip to NYC would only make sense if I could see several performances but with prices like these it becomes quite an investment.  Another offering by Bolshoi--Mailott's Taming of the Shrew--doesn't make the trip any more attractive.  I guess I'll be staying home this summer, travelling only locally to see La Scalla in Costa Mesa and preparing for a week-long trip to DC for Mariinsky's La Bayadere.  

Edited by Dreamer

I was pleasantly surprised there were a lot of good seats left for Taming of the Shrew.  I'm glad I didn't waste money on a Lincoln Center Friendship.

I agree with Dreamer's comments, but my friend's daughter is finishing SAB summer intensive that weekend and I hope to attend watch day.  At least that's how I justify the trip to myself. :) 

Casting announced for Jewels.

http://www.lincolncenter.org/lc-festival/show/jewels-2

Thursday, July 20 at 7:30 pm

Emeralds, Paris Opera Ballet 
First Pas de Deux: Laëtitia Pujol (Étoile), Mathieu Ganio(Étoile)
Second Pas de Deux: Myriam Ould-Braham (Étoile), Mathias Heymann (Étoile)
Pas de Trois: Hannah O'Neill, Sae Eun Park, François Alu 

Rubies, New York City Ballet 
Leading Couple: Megan Fairchild (Principal), Joaquin De Luz (Principal)
Soloist: Teresa Reichlen (Principal)
Four Men: Harrison Coll, Spartak Hoxha, Ralph Ippolito, Giovanni Villalobos
Eight Women: Sara Adams, Likolani Brown, Baily Jones, Meagan Mann, Jenelle Manzi, Kristen Segin, Sarah Villwock, Claire Von Enck

Diamonds, Bolshoi Ballet 
Leading Couple: Olga Smirnova (Prima Ballerina), Semyon Chudin (Principal)
Soloists: Olga Marchenkova, Yulia Grebenshchikova, Ana Turazashvili, Alena Kovaleva, Vladislav Kozlov, Artemy Belyakov, Klim Efimov, Ivan Alekseev

Friday, July 21 at 7:30 pm

First Pas de Deux: Dorothée Gilbert (Étoile), Hugo Marchand (Étoile)
Second Pas de Deux: Léonore Baulac (Étoile), Germain Louvet (Étoile)
Pas de Trois: Valentine Colasante, Sae Eun Park, Marc Moreau

Rubies, Bolshoi Ballet 
Leading Couple: Ekaterina Krysanova (Principal), Artem Ovcharenko (Principal)
Soloist: Yulia Grebenshchikova
Four Men: Mikhail Kemenov, Batyr Annadurdyev, Anton Savichev, Mikhail Kochan
Eight Women: Margarita Shrainer, Xenia Zhiganshina, Anastasia Denisova, Daria Lovtsova, Ilona Matsiy-Kiryushkina, Xenia Kern, Bruna Cantanhede Gaglianone, Victoria Litvinova

Diamonds, New York City Ballet 
Leading Couple: Sara Mearns (Principal), Tyler Angle (Principal)
Soloists: Emily Gerrity, Laine Habony, Mary Elizabeth Sell, Lydia Wellington, Devin Alberda, Daniel Applebaum, Aaron Sanz, Andrew Scordato

Saturday, July 22 at 2:30 pm

First Pas de Deux: Laëtitia Pujol (Étoile), Mathieu Ganio (Étoile)
Second Pas de Deux: Myriam Ould-Braham (Étoile), Mathias Heymann (Étoile)

Soloist: Teresa Reichlen (Principal)
Eight Women: Sara Adams, Likolani Brown, Baily Jones, Meagan Mann, Jenelle Manzi, Kristen Segin, Sarah Villwock, Claire Von Enck

Diamonds, Bolshoi Ballet 
Leading Couple: Alena Kovaleva (Prima Ballerina), Jacopo Tissi (Principal)
Soloists: Olga Marchenkova, Yulia Grebenshchikova, Ana Turazashvili, Angelina Karpova, Vladislav Kozlov, Artemy Belyakov, Klim Efimov, Ivan Alekseev

Saturday, July 22 at 7:30 pm

First Pas de Deux: Dorothée Gilbert (Étoile), Hugo Marchand (Étoile)
Second Pas de Deux: Léonore Baulac (Étoile), Germain Louvet (Étoile)
Pas de Trois: Valentine Colasante, Sae Eun Park, Marc Moreau

Soloist: Teresa Reichlen (Pricipal)

Diamonds, Bolshoi Ballet
Leading Couple: Olga Smirnova (Prima Ballerina), Semyon Chudin (Principal)
Soloists: Olga Marchenkova, Yulia Grebenshchikova, Ana Turazashvili, Alena Kovaleva, Vladislav Kozlov, Artemy Belyakov, Klim Efimov, Ivan Alekseev

Sunday, July 23 at 2:30 pm

First Pas de Deux: Laëtitia Pujol (Étoile), Mathieu Ganio (Étoile)
Second pas de Deux: Myriam Ould-Braham (Étoile), Mathias Heymann (Étoile)

Rubies, Bolshoi Ballet 
Leading Couple: Ekaterina Krysanova (Principal), Vyacheslav Lopatin (Principal)
Soloist: Olga Marchenkova
Four Men: Mikhail Kemenov, Batyr Annadurdyev, Anton Savichev, Mikhail Kochan
Eight Women: Margarita Shrainer, Xenia Zhiganshina, Anastasia Denisova, Daria Lovtsova, Ilona Matsiy-Kiryushkina, Xenia Kern, Bruna Cantanhede Gaglianone, Victoria Litvinova

Diamonds, New York City Ballet 
Leading Couple: Sara Mearns (Principal), Tyler Angle (Principal)
Soloists: Emily Gerrity, Laine Habony, Mary Elizabeth Sell, Lydia Wellington, Devin Alberda, Daniel Applebaum, Aaron Sanz, Andrew Scordato

Casting is subject to change.

I just bit the bullet after salivating over the Paris Opera casting and am going to four performances, skipping only opening night.  Looking forward equally to spending a few days in NYC, of course. 

If my employer cooperates :) , I'm "in" for every performance with angelic POB Etoile Leonore Baulac and Bolshoi goddesses Olga Smirnova and Alena Kovaleva! Among the gents, Ovcharenko & Hugo M! Fingers crossed that the casting sticks.

I think both yes and no. Five years ago Clairemarie Osta's last Giselle in New York was not nearly as emotional as her last Manon in Paris seems to have been, simply because prior to the tour, most American audiences had never seen her. Someone did sneak a large bouquet of roses into the theater and threw it onto the stage, but most people were unaware of the occasion. 

Pujol withdrew from that tour because of injury, so it will be another "first and last time" scenario, and the audience won't have any sort of emotional investment in the event, especially if her last curtain call will be followed by two other ballets, and "Emeralds" isn't Giselle.

Still, if I were to choose a performance to attend, it would be that one, because of Pujol, because Lopatin is better suited to "Rubies" than Ovcharenko, and because Mearns is the class of the field in "Diamonds." But at these prices, I'm still more inclined to fly to Paris for a full POB Jewels, having already seen NYCB and the Bolshoi do it. The fact that NYCB is contributing exactly one cast to "Rubies" and one cast to "Diamonds" means I can't shake the feeling that this "event" is a money-saving gimmick at outrageous prices.

I didn't know it was Clairemarie Osta's final performance when I saw her Giselle. But I do remember thinking that she was very special and very different from what I think of as the stereotypical Parisian etoile. Her Giselle wasn't as sophisticated and princessy as Aurelie Dupont or Dorothee Gilbert. She acted with more emotion, and overall it was an incredibly moving portrayal. I'm very honored that I saw it, now knowing that was the last time she danced.

19 hours ago, naomikage said:

Envy those who would be able to see this joint company Jewels! Pujol's retirement would be emotional.

Is it official? in a recent interview, Aurélie Dupont said she wants Etoiles to have proper Adieux  and mentioned those of Laetitia Pujol will be in Autumn  

48 minutes ago, silvermash said:

Is it official? in a recent interview, Aurélie Dupont said she wants Etoiles to have proper Adieux  and mentioned those of Laetitia Pujol will be in Autumn  

I haven't read that interview so I didn't know. I thought it was announced officially

59 minutes ago, naomikage said:

I haven't read that interview so I didn't know. I thought it was announced officially

I was just asking because this is very confusing. Otherwise, Laetitia will have her adieux to Palais Garnier tomorrow with Stéphane Bullion in La Valse… 

The casting for Taming of the Shrew has been posted on the LCF website

Wednesday, July 26 at 7:30 pm; Friday, July 28 at 7:30 pm; Saturday, July 29 at 7:30 pm; Sunday, July 30 at 2:30 pm:
Katharina Ekaterina Krysanova
Petruchio Vladislav Lantratov
Bianca Olga Smirnova
Lucentio Semyon Chudin
Hortensio Igor Tsvirko
Gremio Vyacheslav Lopatin
Widow Yulia Grebenshchikova
Baptista Artemy Belyakov
Housekeeper Yanina Parienko
Grumio Georgy Gusev

Thursday, July 27 at 7:30 pm and Saturday, July 29 at 2:30 pm:
Katharina Kristina Kretova
Petruchio Denis Savin
Bianca Anastasia Stashkevich
Lucentio Artem Ovcharenko
Hortensio Alexander Smoliyaninov
Gremio Denis Medvedev
Widow Anna Balukova
Baptista Karim Abdullin
Housekeeper Victoria Litvinova
Grumio Evgeny Truposkiad

As much as I'd like to go, there's no way I'd pay $150 for the cheapest orchestra seat that's in the last few rows. Guess I'm not the only one.

But, would they really drop the prices and infuriate the folks who already paid through the nose?