This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2016

Hi canbelto, I only have foggy memories of Martins' comments about 13 moments of treachery, so I can't be specific, but overall I thought Woodward and Ball did well together. The only thing I noticed was that on the second leap-to-the-shoulder, Ball kept both hands on her, not putting the left arm out the way he should. Also, there was something of a temperament mismatch. Woodward has that bright, gamine, pixielike smile, whereas Ball was going for a more restrained, serious danseur noble look. It was two different styles that didn't complement each other. Ashly Isaacs is a veritable force of nature, and she nailed Dewdrop, but I'll like her better when the energy is a little more under her control. Much to look forward to for all three. I'd add that I loved Ben Griffin as Fritz, a role I often find a little annoyingly done. But he had a ton of spirit, and when he was repeatedly scolded and hung his head, I didn't feel bad for him, I just looked forward to what he would get up to next.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:03 AM, canbelto said:

I was at the Laracey/Catazaro/Peck performance last night. Laracey's SPF is one to treasure. Full thoughts here:

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2016/12/december-warhorses-part-three-more.html

Laracey is a *treasure* period and should have been a principal years ago. I would love to see her dance Sugar Plum--her combination of lyricism and strength is extraordinary, almost reminiscent of Nichols.

Also, Gil Bolden earlier in this seasons Nutcrackers had been listed as an SAB student dancing with the adults. In the latest program sheet he was listed in the Mice and Hot Chocolate, but with the apprentice tag next to his name. Congrats Gil, the latest apprentice of the NYCB.

I didn't. I saw Emily Kikta. Kikta has a lot of things going for her: power, amplitude, force behind her dancing. She sort of showed some rookie nerves as her entrances and exits were often not timed well with the music or the other corps members. But overall, a promising debut.

47 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I didn't. I saw Emily Kikta. Kikta has a lot of things going for her: power, amplitude, force behind her dancing. She sort of showed some rookie nerves as her entrances and exits were often not timed well with the music or the other corps members. But overall, a promising debut.

Kikta has been excellent in a couple of 'big girl' roles (First Movement Brahms, Rubies) and I hope she'll be given more parts. Kretzschmar (from your blog) is one of the most promising tall girls the company has had in decades, and has been a standout in everything I've seen. She is gorgeous as one of the demis in First Movement Bizet. The blog pic of her in Coffee is stunning.

I went to the Nut on NY's eve, and saw  the leadings by Fairchild and de Luz. Oh...what a pleasure it was to watch their dancing. She threw a couple of handfuls of "snow" while on the two traveling lifts during the final group tableaux. I think that, would I be living here, I would be one of her happy fans. My mother-(who usually has a kinder eye than mine for ballet)- found her not enough delicate. Me, on the contrary, found her wonderful to watch. My type of ballerina.

De Luz wore a shiny paper hat during curtain calls. That was so cute.

I didn't love Megan LeCrone's Dewdrop. Found her too leggy and not enough crispy and fast for the role demands. 

Indiana Woodward wonderfully nailed the sautes as the Marzipan lead and Antonio Carmena's grand ecartes were great as Chinese.

Happy New Year everyone!!!???