This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Info on Cincinnati Ballet

It's the start of The Nutcracker season, and first up in D.C. is the Cincinnati Ballet. I was surprised to see them booked here, as I had thought that the Cincinnati Ballet was barely staying afloat (a few years ago, several of their better dancers jumped to the Colorado Ballet). Is anyone familiar with this company? The roster is a little strange, with no female principal dancers. I need to make a decision on whether to pay Kennedy Center prices (or more - I've gotten tickets for the NYCB for less than the cheapest tickets available for this run).

Surprisingly, NYCB tickets at the KC are always the least expensive of the ballet companies performing in the Opera House and generally cheaper than the Washington Ballet as well.  Imspear also linked to a great discount here and there's another 20% off evening performance Orchestra seats here.  Sorry to not be able to answer the key question about the Cincinnati Ballet!

Based on Sarah Kaufman's review in the Washington Post, I decided to take in the Friday evening show. I kind of wish that I had saved the money. Like the Washington Ballet's Nutcracker, this was primarily a show for children (complete with a G-rated Arabian). While there were some cute, clever ideas in the show, there wasn't a lot of interesting dancing. At most 15 minutes of what I would consider to be professional-level ballet. The show had a bit of a rushed feeling to it, which accentuated the impression that it was intended for kids so that they were trying to keep it as short as possible.