This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center Jan 2017

2 minutes ago, California said:

Gillian just posted on Instagram that she has a calf injury:

I'm glad she's given a time estimate and an indication of her injury. We often don't know, which I understand but it causes rumors to swirl and concern to grow! Good that this sounds not terribly serious or long term!

I wish her a rapid recovery and look forward to hearing reports from those of you going to the DC run!

On 1/23/2017 at 3:39 PM, YouOverThere said:

But one would think that they would announce a few days ahead of time that standing room seats would be available the day of the performance. IIRC, with Mariinsky I knew about standing room tickets enough in advance that I knew to be at the box office when it opened in the morning.

I agree with you, but have seen them make last minute decisions about selling standing room.

I just talked to someone at the Kennedy Center box office who claimed that there WON'T be any standing room tickets for Swan Lake. I find this to be totally mystifying. The Kennedy Center is always claiming that they are hurting for money, and I can't imagine that the ABT is in such good shape that they wouldn't welcome a few extra $$$$.

3 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

I just talked to someone at the Kennedy Center box office who claimed that there WON'T be any standing room tickets for Swan Lake. I find this to be totally mystifying. The Kennedy Center is always claiming that they are hurting for money, and I can't imagine that the ABT is in such good shape that they wouldn't welcome a few extra $$$$.

I had called the Kennedy Center box office when they opened this morning and was told that standing room was under discussion. That has me wondering if the Kennedy Center was making a last attempt to talk ABT into allowing standing room (performers at the Kennedy Center have the power to decline standing room). If it turns out that it was the Kennedy Center's decision, I will not renew my membership since it would mean that they don't need more money.

3 hours ago, its the mom said:

Was it odd because they were just rehearsing different casts?

Yes, that's all I meant. Teuscher (I'm pretty sure) in the prologue, then Boylston with a bearded prince I didn't recognize, then Copeland and Cornejo in the pas, then Teuscher and Gomes after intermission. 

YAY!!! I took a chance and went to the Kennedy Center, and they actually had a few tickets. So I got a seat. And a pretty good one at that - across the aisle from Kevin McKenzie.

I thought that performance was merely OK (by elite ballet company standards). Hee Seo was smooth as silk, but Cory Stearns was a little mechanical. There wasn't much chemistry between them (I'm conditioned to watching the Colorado Ballet, which seems to place a high empahsis on emotive dancing). As too often seems to be the case, the men's costumes were at times annoyingly silly.

But I ALWAYS like programs better the second time I see them. Which is why I was so anxious to go tonight.

6 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

YAY!!! I took a chance and went to the Kennedy Center, and they actually had a few tickets. So I got a seat. And a pretty good one at that - across the aisle from Kevin McKenzie.

It sounds like they had a few unclaimed house seats that they released at the last minute. Always worth checking!

9 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

I thought that performance was merely OK (by elite ballet company standards). Hee Seo was smooth as silk, but Cory Stearns was a little mechanical. There wasn't much chemistry between them (I'm conditioned to watching the Colorado Ballet, which seems to place a high empahsis on emotive dancing). As too often seems to be the case, the men's costumes were at times annoyingly silly.

But I ALWAYS like programs better the second time I see them. Which is why I was so anxious to go tonight.

Hope you get tickets to other performances.

Honestly, the Seo/Stearns cast is the cast I least wanted to see.  Stearns comes across as emotionless to me, and Seo is my least favorite Odile (though I've liked her White Swan).

Edited by Kaysta
55 minutes ago, abatt said:

ABT always runs dress rehearsals with mutliple casts appearing in different acts.  They do that in New York all the time.

Interesting. I've seen a few of their rehearsals at the Kennedy Center, dating back to a Giselle with Amanda McKerrow, and I don't remember multiple casts. 

ABT posted on their instagram page that they're streaming a live rehearsal today starting at 11:15am EST. I'm on the site now at 11:27am and it hasn't started yet. 

It's starting now at 11:31am. McKenzie is explaining the importance of daily class with the dancers in the background...

Edited by ABT Fan

How is Devon Teuscher only a soloist???

Thursday's Swan Lake was absolutely great (by elite ballet company standards). A much more dramatic, emotional performance by Marcelo Gomes and an excellent performance by Devon Teuscher (even managing to keep the fouettes in a perfectly straight line). The 1st ballerina in the pas de troix was also impressive.

Edited by YouOverThere

Devon was fantastic.  Truly breathtaking.  It looked like she had a few nerves early in the 2nd act because her arabesques didn't have quite the stretch and bend I'd expect.  But by the time the white swan pas came, she was in full luxurious mode.  Her port de bras is so expansive with beautiful arms and a supple pliant back.  The emotion between Marcelo and her was palpable.  Even better was her Odile!  She was a great evil seductress who toyed with poor Marcelo's heart!  It really was a fantastic debut and I have a feeling her performance on Sunday will be even better.

So happy to see ABT develop their homegrown talent!  What an exciting night!

Edited by Kaysta

Oh, and Devon and Marcelo received a nice long standing ovation!

I think not using guest artists is going to start paying off.  Future at ABT is looking bright-With Teuscher, Trenary making stunning debuts in the last year.

Edited by Kaysta

The PR role is brilliant sinister seduction:   entrance at top of stairs, interplay bewitching the queen drawing her off  the dais, kissing hands, bounds to throne, later leans on wall, and princesses-1 lured towards him specifically, special effects [smoke and explosion] when he leaves and morphs into Lakeside. In white SL sequence of alabesque lifts-arms faster on up and softly down-no impression of beating him with the wings.  There's 2 or 3 turns with support where she does an extra movement [not in Mariinsky] with the head and upper body-multiple arches in the same turns-smoothly executed.

I do not miss the jester but wish it ended with a lift as the sun rises after a forced leap of LR.   In Mariinsky  O/S are still alive and they do the lift from the  swan corps double diagonal, move downstage, chase Rothbart.  ABT does a lift in the double diagonal formation, go upstage, then along the front swan diagonal after changing to arabesque. 

A star was born from the moment at open rehearsal when Teuscher entered with PR Lendorf at the top of the stairs and sous soused.  

Edited by maps
14 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

How is Devon Teuscher only a soloist???

Thursday's Swan Lake was absolutely great (by elite ballet company standards). A much more dramatic, emotional performance by Marcelo Gomes and an excellent performance by Devon Teuscher (even managing to keep the fouettes in a perfectly straight line). The 1st ballerina in the pas de troix was also impressive.

I wish I were there to witness the a-star-is-born moment.

On the flip side of "How is Devon Teuscher only a soloist???" is "How is Hee Seo a principal???"

Edited by mussel

Just got back from Misty/Herman.

I enjoyed it overall, though it won't be a memorable performance for me (unike yesterday, which was a memorable performance).

I have mixed feelings over Misty.  I think she is talented and beautiful.  I appreciate what she does for ballet, in that she brings audiences in to the theater and brings mainstream attention to the art form.  And my favorite part is seeing how excited the young kids get (something about little ones all dressed up, pulls at the heart strings).  There were many more kids here tonight for her performance than yesterday.   She's inspiring the next generation of dancers, and it's lovely to see, and it's something I admire about her.

But coming off the pure emotional bomb of yesterday, this was a little flat for me.  I think despite her technical shortcomings that have been well documented (and were an issue tonight during the Black Swan coda), her characterization and artistry are better with the Black Swan.  She is believable in the role and she has more chemistry with Cornejo.  Her white swan (which did not have any major technical issues to my eyes), is what fell flat for me.  It was beautiful, but I didn't feel any emotion or chemistry with Cornejo, especially comparing it with yesterday (which maybe isn't a fair comparison, because Marcelo is one the best partners and just oozes emotion and chemistry out of his pores when he dances).   It wasn't that it was bad.  Honesty, if I had seen Misty's performance five years ago when I was a complete ballet newb, I would have been completely enthralled.  Unfortunately, I've gotten pickier and I want it all--artistry and technical ability.

One note about the technical fouette issue:  While I enjoy the fouettes (I still find it exciting and like the moment) I wish she would just do something else in it's place if she can't do them.  I think she has the chops to be a very good Odile, but the stumbling through them kind of sucks the air out of the moment.  And if one can't handle the fouettes cleanly, why would you start off doing doubles?  Just try to do clean singles first to try to get through it.   

Last but not least--I want to throw a big Brava to the swan corps ladies.  They have been absolutely fantastic both nights.  The synchronicity and precision has been breathtaking and beautiful to watch.  Brava, swan corps, you ladies are awesome!

Looking forward to Veronika tomorrow!

Edited by Kaysta

Updating to add Purple Rothbart and pas de trois:

Purple Rothbarts so far have been Alban Lendorf and Alexandre Hammoudi.  Both have been fantastic.  Like Maps, I love the Purple Rothbart sequences.  I always giggle when the three princesses are kneeling at him and the other is bourreing towards him.  I think Lendorf was the more technically proficient PR, but Hammoudi plays the sinister character so well I find I enjoy him more in the role.  I am definitely looking forward to seeing Royal's debut tomorrow afternoon!

PdT for the first night was Hurlin, Shevchenko and Hoven, last night was Trenary, Paris and Cirio.  The standouts of the PdT so far to me were Trenary, Cirio and Shevchenko.  I find Shevchenko an  interesting dancer.  I fully admit she has not always been my favorite because she sometimes comes across as cold and emotionless to me (but her technique has never been in question).  But she was fantastic and joyful in the PdT.  Ciro was also a highlight for me.  He has beautiful technique (beautiful jumps with great height, good turner) and has a very nice stage presence.  I think he would make a fine Siegfried, though I don't know who he normally partners at ABT (is he short?).   

I didn't write much about either Gomes or Cornejo because they are exactly what you would expect from them.  Fantastic as usual.  Gomes may be getting older and starting to slow down a bit (though I still love him and am thankful every time I get to see him dance), but he still brings such a nuanced performance to every role he dances and he always brings out the best in his partners. 

For today, the Saturday cast is Part and Whiteside as our doomed lovers, with Stearns as Purple Rothbart.  I'm not really a big Stearns fan, so I'm hoping he can match the artistry of Lendorf and Hammoudi.  The PdT is Royal, Katherine Williams and Catherine Hurlin.

Tonight is Boylston and Lendorf, with Forster as PR.  And an all-star PdT of Lane, Brandt and Gorak.

Thanks for all of your reviews, Kaysta.  Good to know that the company is working on its future, or so it seems.  I agree about Shevchenko, but I believe she is becoming a warmer dancer.  She, along with Devon, Skylar and Cassie are the future, and that is a lot about which to be excited.  Cirio has danced Siegfried in Boston with Kuranaga, and received great reviews.  And, I agree, it doesn't get much better than Gomes and Cornejo as partners.  Thanks for keeping us posted.