This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center Jan 2017

28 minutes ago, Kristen said:

Darn!  I already have tickets for Friday night and I'm not a Misty fan. Has anyone had luck with exchanging tickets with the Kennedy center box office? 

I had no problems exchanging my tickets and I was not even a subscriber. I simply called the box office and asked to swap my tickets for another day (it has to be the same program though). And there is a fee you would have  to pay for the exchange--I believe it is around $5-$10 per ticket.

Edited by Dreamer

I'm considering making the trip from NYC to D.C. for Teuscher's debut (and possibly Part, though Whiteside is dissuading me) and have never seen anything at the Kennedy Center. Does anyone have recommendations for seating? The prices are much more reasonable than the Met season, so I was thinking of going with a seat in the first row, which is Row G (I'm guessing rows A-F are taken up by the orchestra?). At the Met, the first row provides a really good view, as long as you aren't behind the conductor, the only problem being that you sometimes can't see the dancers' complete feet. Is this the same case at the Kennedy Center's Opera House? Or does the first row present any other issues? 

Also, does anyone know if the Kennedy Center allows patrons to throw flowers onstage? (I've gotten in the habit of doing this occasionally at the Met in recent seasons, as it's a lovely tradition I don't want to see die out!). I've heard that Koch Theater doesn't allow it.

I wouldn't recommend the front rows of the orchestra. The view is compromised, and from the first row you probably won't be able to see feet, ankles or the lower part of shins. I've tried the sit-on-the-aisle trick also, and it didn't help much. The seats behind the cross aisle are preferable. They are relatively far back, but the view is unobstructed, although I imagine that by now few of these are left. That section is heavily subscribed.

P.S. About flowers. I don't know about throwing them onstage, but you can deliver flowers to the stage door entrance, and they will reach their recipient. The stage door is located in the Hall of Nations on the house-right side of the opera house, right next to the street entrance where the Metro shuttle bus stops.

The first time I tried delivering flowers I called ahead and was told to take them to the visitor's desk in the corridor on the opposite side of the opera house, but the folks there told me they couldn't take anything for security reasons and directed me to the stage door instead, where the security guard took my bouquet without batting an eye.

Edited by volcanohunter

The 2 Misty Copeland performances - Friday and Sunday evening - are sold out (and have been for several weeks). The Saturday evening performance is close to being sold out and the 2 matinees have less than 150 tickets left for each. There is still a decent selection for the Wednesday and Thursday shows. Anyone planning to travel from out-of-town would be advised to make their plans sooner rather than later.

Edited by YouOverThere
On 12/23/2016 at 3:38 PM, YouOverThere said:

The 2 Misty Copeland performances - Friday and Sunday evening - are sold out (and have been for several weeks). The Saturday evening performance is close to being sold out and the 2 matinees have less than 150 tickets left for each. There is still a decent selection for the Wednesday and Thursday shows. Anyone planning to travel from out-of-town would be advised to make their plans sooner rather than later.

This is not going to be a good visit for last minute purchasers. Almost nothing left for any weekend performance. I wonder if they will sell standing room "seats", as they did when Mariinsky did Swan Lake.

Beautiful Devon rehearsing.  I am so darn excited for her debut.  Plus it's Calvin Royal's debut as Purple Rothbart.  Now I just have to pray the weather cooperates for my trip to DC.  I'm seeing five different casts.

Edited by Kaysta
6 hours ago, Kaysta said:

Beautiful Devon rehearsing.  I am so darn excited for her debut.  Plus it's Calvin Royal's debut as Purple Rothbart.  Now I just have to pray the weather cooperates for my trip to DC.  I'm seeing five different casts.

Beautiful rehearsal moment.  I look forward to reports from Washington.

6 hours ago, Kaysta said:

That video makes me want to race down to D.C. to see Teuscher's debut (which, it's true, I wanted to see anyway) -- really hoping it goes well for her.

No indication that they will sell standing room "seats" for this. I wonder why not, since they did when Mariinsky did Swan Lake.

I bought tickets for Thursday specifically to see Gillian Murphy, so I'm disappointed. I have strong doubts that I will still be living in the DC area next season.

Alertniks:

I have a spare ticket to the Thurs night performance.

I have a pair of tickets G108/G109 (right behind the conductor). I will be using one. Typically I'd exchange one for a different performance, but since the run is sold out, I am out of luck.  Please PM me if you would like it and we'll figure it out.

k

On 1/21/2017 at 4:36 PM, lmspear said:

Usually standing room tickets are sold the day of the performance at the box office.

But one would think that they would announce a few days ahead of time that standing room seats would be available the day of the performance. IIRC, with Mariinsky I knew about standing room tickets enough in advance that I knew to be at the box office when it opened in the morning.