This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Olga Smirnova

Well, I just had to shout "Hallelujah"! How I treasure the YouTube clip: Casse-Noise Compagnie (Olga Smirnova, Artem Ovcharenko). I remember my introduction to her artistry through the PRODIGY video and the Grand pas Classique (with Semyon Chudin). I suppose that I am simply "gushing" my enthusiasm here for this superb young artist. In a recent interview, she spoke so favorably with regard to her time at Les Ballets De Monte-Carlo and the liberating influence of Jean-Christophe Maillot. To me, she has become an explosion of grace and power. Perhaps her time at Les Ballets de Monte Carlo was a turning point? It would seem so. I can hardly view the Casse-Noise Compagnie (Olga Smirnova, Artem Ovcharenko) video without being completely astounded.

Edited by altongrimes
typo

I agree that she is a very beautiful young ballerina. Actually, there is a whole "Olga Smirnova" thread under the category Dancers on this website.  You can see it in the list of forums when you first come to the site.) You might want to post your thoughts about her there.

Thank you !  P.S.  Drew, I want to say that I became introduced to Ballet Alert when an acquantance introduced me to one of your posted replies. I was immensely impressed, not only by your fascinating remarks but also with the civil and refined tenor of your prose. 

Edited by altongrimes
Typo

Thank you--that's kind of you. The site's mission is "To be a place for civilized discussion about classical ballet"...and that's what I appreciate about it (thank you moderators) though perhaps it's not always easy when emotions run high.

But alas, I have just retrieved the essential bit of dialogue from a recent DANCE EUROPE magazine interview with Olga Smirnova apparently confirming the origins of her noticeably enhanced virtuosity.

DANCE EUROPE - "Taming of the Shrew ... you spent a month in Monaco in the Winter to learn and perform his Casse-Noisette Compagnie with Les Ballets De Monte-Carlo. What was that immersion like?

OLGA S. - 'I felt a sense of freedom. Jean Christophe told me at the very beginning that I would go back to Moscow a different person and ballerina and he was right. I'm grateful for the special atmosphere I encountered there - I felt such warmth, it was like home, like a family. People treat you with such humanity there, with such kindness...'

Edited by altongrimes
Typo