This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pavel Dmitrichenko - Back In Class

Cygnet

In fairness to Vaziev, he's brand new at the Bolshoi and needs to play the game. For whatever reason Dimitrichenko seems to have friends in high places who are determined to protect him. I'd take Vaziev's official statement with a whole truckful of salt.

10 hours ago, canbelto said:

In fairness to Vaziev, he's brand new at the Bolshoi and needs to play the game. For whatever reason Dimitrichenko seems to have friends in high places who are determined to protect him. I'd take Vaziev's official statement with a whole truckful of salt.

I often shrug at things leaders of the arts/sports in Russia say--things I might otherwise find troubling--on similar grounds. That's the world they are in ... that's the world they have to negotiate. I don't feel that way in this case.

The quote goes on at length and goes out of its way to praise the work ethic and, by implication, dancing of Dmitrichenko. If Vaziev is under a metaphorical gun--or, say, under metaphorical threat of having acid thrown in his face--he could still have kept his comments to a more tactful minimum. One may read that excess as evidence of the "salt" you are talking about; for me, whether sincere or forced, it is evidence of complete and utter corruption either way.  Such corruption may be pervasive at the Bolshoi certainly but for me it goes way beyond what should be acceptable to anyone anywhere. (And if google-translate is to be trusted then I have read Russians online expressing similar dismay -- not just Americans/outsiders.) 

Edited by Drew