This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Spring Season at The Met

Is there any update on lead casting for Swan Lake? Both Boylston and Murphy have been injured and I would like to see one of them but I don't want to buy a ticket if they may be replaced. That happened to me once a few seasons ago when Murphy was injured in Act I and Hee Seo completed the performance. After all the cast changes this week I am skittish! Thank you for any inside info you have.

1 hour ago, CTballetfan said:

Is there any update on lead casting for Swan Lake? Both Boylston and Murphy have been injured and I would like to see one of them but I don't want to buy a ticket if they may be replaced. That happened to me once a few seasons ago when Murphy was injured in Act I and Hee Seo completed the performance. After all the cast changes this week I am skittish! Thank you for any inside info you have.

Add Kochetkova to the list of O/Os who've been indisposed in the past few days (eg, Lane took over her scheduled Giselle last week) ...so were tracking the upcoming Swan Lakes of Boylston, Murphy and Kochetkova.

4 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Add Kochetkova to the list of O/Os who've been indisposed in the past few days (eg, Lane took over her scheduled Giselle last week) ...so were tracking the upcoming Swan Lakes of Boylston, Murphy and Kochetkova.

And Part.

25 minutes ago, Natalia said:

So Copeland, Seo and debutante Teuscher are the only scheduled O/Os who are injury free and at 100% readiness?

Apparently. Though on Boylston's Instagram tonight she says she's getting better and is still planning on doing SL on Monday. 

59 minutes ago, Waelsung said:

Hard to believe what the ABT has become. So sad.:(

A lot of dancers have had injuries this year, but nothing has been sad about this season. We've so far had a lot of amazing debuts by many up and coming dancers. Some scheduled, some unexpected. All so far excellent.

29 minutes ago, aurora said:

A lot of dancers have had injuries this year, but nothing has been sad about this season. We've so far had a lot of amazing debuts by many up and coming dancers. Some scheduled, some unexpected. All so far excellent.

I respectfully disagree. With the sole exception of Christine Shevchenko, I can't seem to find anybody worth of the ABT exorbitant prices. I would have gone to see Lane's Giselle, but it was scheduled for a matinee, and unfortunately, I still have to work:)

6 hours ago, Natalia said:

Well that's a first. I can't even remember the last time Kochetkova withdrew from a planned performance.

3 hours ago, Kaysta said:

Some folks are just a fan of guest artists and are still rankled that ABT has decided to grow their company from within instead of import them for a night.

Yep, that would be me, no doubt. The only thing is I would be all for developing ungrown talent if I saw some, but, like I said earlier, except Shevchenko and - maybe - Lane, I just don't see any future wolrd-class stars in the making. Unfortunately, if the company goes the way the ABT seems to be going (no more guest stars to save money, but home-grown dancers available on the cheap, even if they're not ready and have no potential to ever be), it will very quickly turn into another provincial company. The local crowd will always be there to cheer the home team, but big-league attendees (and sponsors) will not be enthusiastic enough to keep the budget sane and the price of the seats even remotely affordable. Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but the ABT future DOES appear to be pretty grim.

10 minutes ago, Waelsung said:

Yep, that would be me, no doubt. The only thing is I would be all for developing ungrown talent if I saw some, but, like I said earlier, except Shevchenko and - maybe - Lane, I just don't see any future wolrd-class stars in the making. Unfortunately, if the company goes the way the ABT seems to be going (no more guest stars to save money, but home-grown dancers available on the cheap, even if they're not ready and have no potential to ever be), it will very quickly turn into another provincial company. The local crowd will always be there to cheer the home team, but big-league attendees (and sponsors) will not be enthusiastic enough to keep the budget sane and the price of the seats even remotely affordable. Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but the ABT future DOES appear to be pretty grim.

Wow, I think you are the first person I've ever heard of that is actually a proponent of guest stars at ABT. In my eyes, 2017 has been a triumph for ABT so far. 

13 minutes ago, Waelsung said:

Welshing, did you see Lane's Giselle last week with Cornejo? It was magnificent. Or Skylar Brandt as Medora? With three days to learn the role? IMHO, she is a future world-class star. I also love Cassandra Trenary, but I don't think Ratmansky's Golden Cockerel or Sleeping Beauty showed what she can really do with classical ballet. I haven't seen Teuscher's Swan Lake yet, so I can't speak for her, but I have a ticket for her Wednesday debut.

I think this is a very exciting time at ABT.

18 minutes ago, Waelsung said:

The local crowd will always be there to cheer the home team, but big-league attendees (and sponsors) will not be enthusiastic enough to keep the budget sane and the price of the seats even remotely affordable. 

Just one note, Waelsung, since you've mentioned this twice now: there are quite decent $30 orchestra seats available as rush tickets (which can be purchased online day-of) for virtually every performance, other than the sold-out Misty performances.

Just now, Fleurfairy said:

Wow, I think you are the first person I've ever heard of that is actually a proponent of guest stars at ABT. In my eyes, 2017 has been a triumph for ABT so far. 

To be honest, I just don't care where they are guest stars or ingrown, as long as their dancing warrants what the ABT has been charging for good seats these days. I'm not a fan of Hee Seo and wouldn't pay a dime to see Boylston dance anything, not even modern repertoire. I'm not interested in Ferri's comeback (wonder if she'll be doing these until she's 100 years old), nor in Vishneva's retirements. This is why I, who used to subscribe to 2-3 series per season + acquire individual performances as the casting became clearer, am yet to buy a SINGLE ticket this season.

3 minutes ago, Waelsung said:

To be honest, I just don't care where they are guest stars or ingrown, as long as their dancing warrants what the ABT has been charging for good seats these days. I'm not a fan of Hee Seo and wouldn't pay a dime to see Boylston dance anything, not even modern repertoire. I'm not interested in Ferri's comeback (wonder if she'll be doing these until she's 100 years old), nor in Vishneva's retirements. This is why I, who used to subscribe to 2-3 series per season + acquire individual performances as the casting became clearer, am yet to buy a SINGLE ticket this season.

I do agree, Waelsung, that the promotions of the last decade had left ABT in a sorry state, and agree with you about Seo, Boylston, and Vishneva. For myself, I include Kochetkova in that group. But I think this season, with the injuries that have caused rising soloists to replace principals, has been a turning point for the company. I think you missed something by not buying tickets for the most recent cast changes, and I would encourage you to keep an open mind about the latest crop of home-grown soloists-on-the-rise, because the times they are a-changing'.