This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Spring Season at The Met

5 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Isn't Gray Davis the "hero" who jumped last week onto the NY Subway tracks to rescue a man who had been pushed in? I seem to recall reading that his back had been hurt in that incident but maybe not too seriously?

Yes that's correct. He danced Spanish this afternoon and looked in good shape. Though as a fellow sufferer of herniated discs I can say that the problems only keep returning.

I'm very interested to hear he's a regular partner of Veronika! I'd love to see them dance together.

You know who they should pair up with Part more often is Blaine Hoven. They did Seven Sonatas together a few years ago and before the piece began I said "uh oh, I don't see this going well" as I thought he'd be too short and not a strong enough partner for her (and too inexperienced). I was so wrong! He moved her around like she was 5 feet tall and also to my surprise they had wonderful chemistry. Of course, Seven Sonatas is not Swan Lake and I don't know how he'd handle all of those overhead lifts. But, despite the bobbles he had in Giselle's peasant pas a few weeks ago, he has never danced or looked better. He more than deserved his promotion last year. If a SL with Part isn't workable, they should at least try him as Siegfried (or Romeo...) with someone smaller (he and Trenary could make an interesting R&J). I don't think I see Hoven as principal material, but I think they should see if he can handle a lead role. 

Edited to add: plus he's good friends with Gomes so maybe he can give him partnering tips while they're drinking beers. ?

Edited by ABT Fan
3 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

You know who they should pair up with Part more often is Blaine Hoven. They did Seven Sonatas together a few years ago and before the piece began I said "uh oh, I don't see this going well" as I thought he'd be too short and not a strong enough partner for her (and too inexperienced). I was so wrong! He moved her around like she was 5 feet tall and also to my surprise they had wonderful chemistry. Of course, Seven Sonatas is not Swan Lake and I don't know how he'd handle all of those overhead lifts. But, despite the bobbles he had in Giselle's peasant pas a few weeks ago, he has never danced or looked better. He more than deserved his promotion last year. If a SL with Part isn't workable, they should at least try him as Siegfried (or Romeo...) with someone smaller (he and Trenary could make an interesting R&J). I don't think I see Hoven as principal material, but I think they should see if he can handle a lead role. 

They're about to do Mozartiana together! Not much true partnering in that (i.e. Lifts and such) so could be a good fit. I'm curious to see how both handle the tricky Balenchinean footwork of course.

3 hours ago, clrtt said:

I think that there is a corps member who is quite suited to partner Part... Gray Davis. I understand that she rehearses with him quite often by request, and in fact has performed with him outside of ABT. He was injured a couple of years back and hasn't seemed to gain momentum yet again, but given the chance I think he would more than rise to the occasion.

Gray has the height,technique and good looks of a lead dancer. All he needs is a chance for an important leading role. If i remember correctly, he was an early Grand Prix winner at YAGP.

3 hours ago, Natalia said:

Isn't Gray Davis the "hero" who jumped last week onto the NY Subway tracks to rescue a man who had been pushed in? I seem to recall reading that his back had been hurt in that incident but maybe not too seriously?

I believe he has been recovering from a prior back injury, rather than that he injured his back in rescuing the man on the tracks.

8 hours ago, nanushka said:

They're about to do Mozartiana together! Not much true partnering in that (i.e. Lifts and such) so could be a good fit. I'm curious to see how both handle the tricky Balenchinean footwork of course.

Hoven should not have a problem.  He trained at NCSA under Melissa Hayden.

6 hours ago, mimsyb said:

Love Gray Davis....even before his "subway save".   He certainly deserves a shot at more roles.

Was hoping that his "subway save" would bring him to the attention of the ballet staff and director.

[Admin Beanie On]

We never had a policy against "board-dragging," because other discussion boards were off limits for discussion here.  But it appears that we need to be explicit and extend this to social media and other sites where there are comments.

Off limits is discussion of other discussions unless they are by ballet professionals/companies on mainstream media, official social media, and video by ballet companies or professionals.  I will add this to our policies.

If a ballet company/professional posts/comments on his/her public-facing social media or video (YouTube/vimeo) account, etc. or another ballet professional's/company's public-facing social media then it's up for discussion.  Any else's comments are off limits.

If you have a problem with what is posted to official media, let them know what you think directly. 

[Admin Beanie Off]

35 minutes ago, vipa said:

What's up with Macaulay in the NY Times? Is he avoiding reviewing ABT? He just reviewed Sara Mearns in the Isadora Duncan company. I think that's strange. 

It's part of a broader shift in arts coverage at the NYT, initiated earlier this year. They've de-emphasized reviews and are focusing on interest pieces. They've been careful not to call it a reduction in arts coverage, but that's exactly what it is. 

Now we get Twitter-length reactions to performances in the column "That Decisive Moment":

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/arts/music/mahler-transformed-this-weeks-8-best-classical-music-moments.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fthat-decisive-moment&action=click&contentCollection=music&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=collection

There were a lot of throwaway reviews of ABT in the past, but I do miss the consistent coverage.

It's funny to see Macaulay in his press seats all season long -- and writing about nearly none of ABT's performances. But, I guess you could argue that these performances are still informing his articles (like his recent one on The Sleeping Beauty).

Admins -- I hope you'll relocate this conversation if it's not suited to this particular thread. I'd like to see the issue the NYT's refocused/reduced coverage commented upon by others.

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

It's funny to see Macaulay in his press seats all season long -- and writing about nearly none of ABT's performances. But, I guess you could argue that these performances are still informing his articles (like his recent one on The Sleeping Beauty).

He still writes for other publications as well as the NYT, so he may be doing homework for another assignment.  Or just trying to keep up.

I don't think Macaulay would have much that is positive to say about either Corsaire or Onegin. I have my own issues with Macaulay, but from a larger dance perspective, the Isadora Duncan benefit at the Joyce and Sara Mearns' participation in it, as well as the stunning rise of Miami City Ballet, whose Jacobs Pillow performance this week he reviewed, are probably more significant, and certainly more interesting to him.I hope that doesn't raise too many hackles in this board. The Times did a big feature on Vishneva, and Macaulay has just done an article on Ratmansky's Aurora and will likely review it. He is a huge Ratmansky fan. As I said I have my own issues with him, so I'm surprised to find myself writing this. I am sometimes surprised by his lack of coverage of other ballet performances.

14 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Per Luciana Paris's instagram, longtime corps member Jennifer Whalen is retiring. 

Are we sure this means retiring? Unlike with Part, I don't see anything specific here. I didn't think Whalen was on the older end of the spectrum?