This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Spring Season at The Met

3 hours ago, Kaysta said:

The TBA on Gillian's debut as Giselle has not been filled in yet, but this looks promising....  Oh I hope this is what will happen.  What a day of Giselle's the 27th of May will be!

I was thrilled beyond words to see this photo.  I can't imagine a more exciting Giselle "double-feature" than the upcoming May 27th performances!

On March 28, 2017 at 7:26 PM, CTballetfan said:

Thank you Olga, California, and RUKen, for your elucidations and advice. I'm looking forward to a different and exciting afternoon! 

I would also advise bringing opera glasses, as it can be fun to observe not just the dancing, but any interplay between the dancers and whoever is holding the rehearsal.  At times, several coaches can be interacting with various dancers at different places on the stage, and while you probably can't hear what's being said, it can be illuminating to see the dancers react, etc. to their coaches.  Enjoy!

On 3/30/2017 at 8:35 PM, ABT Fan said:

Murphy and Hallberg are doing Giselle in Oman next week, so assuming (and hoping) that goes well for him, he'll be cast for May 27.

Is the "he'll be cast for May 27" part of your hope/assumption as well, or has that in fact been indicated in some way?

3 hours ago, nanushka said:

Is the "he'll be cast for May 27" part of your hope/assumption as well, or has that in fact been indicated in some way?

That is my hope and assumption if all goes well for Hallberg in Oman next week. That date is still marked TBA on their website.

Don Q casting for Espada and Mercedes on May 16 (Royal and Paris) and the eve of May 20 (Forster and Shevchenko) has now been posted:

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=5/1/2017

And, Scott has now been cast in Mozartiana on July 6 and the matinee on July 8. http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=7/1/2017

Still eagerly awaiting Albrecht casting on the eve of May 27 with Murphy and all of the Purple von Rothbart's for the run of SL.

I think (just guessing here, don't kill me) that he was promoting a lady who deserved to be promoted but who was not in his plans to be featured in principal roles. I'm sure Paris appreciated the promotion and I'm sure she certainly appreciates having been taken out of the corps. I don't know how old she is but she must be around Murphy's or Abrera's age considering how long she has been a professional. I hope she sticks around for a few more years

vipa, I agree with you. Paris definitely gets fewer roles than other female soloists and I've often wondered why she was promoted (what did management have in mind). I've always been a fan of hers too but she's not really being utilized, or certainly not in the same way the other soloists are. Perhaps LadyBubbles you're right in that McKenzie never promoted her with the intention of giving her better roles, but as a reward for what she's already accomplished. And, I agree that given her bio she's probably in her late 30's as well. I imagine that not every promotion to soloist is with the intention or hope that that person will become a principal. Take Roman Zhurbin. He's a good dancer but a better actor (the best actor they have) so I assume (again, this is my assumption only) his promotion was recognition for that very important artistic contribution. But, I seriously doubt they would have envisioned him as a principal candidate with that promotion since he performs mainly character roles and some demi-soloist dance roles but no principal/lead dance roles. I am glad they were both promoted. I wish I saw Paris get a few more soloist roles, but since it looks like they're grooming several soloists for possible principal status, there's only so many opportunities to go around.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:53 PM, ABT Fan said:

This photo from Oman today has me even more excited for the Met season to start next month! Here's hoping Hallberg will reprise Albrecht.

OMG!  confirmed Hallberg partnering Gillian for Giselle May 27th.  ABT posted on their website.

21 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Hooray! They must have just posted it because I had checked this morning. Such great news.

There are still a lot of seats available for that performance on every level, but I expect that'll change drastically very soon.

Very glad I had already bought a ticket for this performance. Such a treat to look forward to!

36 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

I am so looking forward to May 27th.  It will be a fantastic day of Giselles!

I, too. How many New York debuts that day? Sarah, Christine, Gillian, and the return of David to his home company. Is it Simkin's debut too? Please correct/add if I've got this wrong. I'm going by memory.

Thank you, David, for working so hard to come back to us. We have missed you greatly.

17 minutes ago, angelica said:

I, too. How many New York debuts that day? Sarah, Christine, Gillian, and the return of David to his home company. Is it Simkin's debut too? Please correct/add if I've got this wrong. I'm going by memory.

Thank you, David, for working so hard to come back to us. We have missed you greatly.

Yes, it's Simkin's (NY) debut. Like the others he made his official debut in Oman. Also, Copeland's.

Skylar Brandt is replacing Misty Copeland at the May 24 matinee of Whipped Cream, per the ABT calendar. Wishing I could attend, but alas I  have to work. 

I wonder if Misty will be withdrawing from the WC shows later in the season. 

4 hours ago, abatt said:

Skylar Brandt is replacing Misty Copeland at the May 24 matinee of Whipped Cream, per the ABT calendar. Wishing I could attend, but alas I  have to work. 

I wonder if Misty will be withdrawing from the WC shows later in the season. 

Ha - I knew it was coming! :) Skylar was so spectacular in Costa Mesa, opposite Cirio - best Boy/Princess team among the three casts that I saw - that she simply could not be denied an encore at the Met.

A gorgeous clip of Abrera and Gomes rehearsing Giselle for a gorgeous Sunday morning. This is one of my favorite parts of the ballet. When done right the ballerina looks like she's floating back and forth on a breeze. Hallberg and Osipova did this especially well (and the rest of the ballet too). 

Edited by ABT Fan