This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Spring Season at The Met

1 hour ago, angelica said:

At this point, I have a severe case of Hallberg Deprivation, and am so excited that he's coming back. I'd go to see him in almost anything.

Yes, same here! Even if I happen to not like the ballet or his partner in which he's cast, I imagine I'll go just to see him especially since it seems he won't be performing in too many things.

3 hours ago, angelica said:

At this point, I have a severe case of Hallberg Deprivation, and am so excited that he's coming back. I'd go to see him in almost anything.

I'm so glad he's making his way back to the stage.  I still have hopes of seeing him live...

On 03.01.2017 at 8:24 PM, abatt said:

I think adding Hallberg to the lineup of the 3 company presentation of Jewels this summer would not be beneficial.  The whole point of having POB, Bolshoi and NYCB perform is to show the Balanchine diaspora to companies of varying style and backgrounds.  As an American who received most of his training in the US, Hallberg's appearance with the Bolshoi would not illuminate Russian training and sensibilities the way that someone who actually trained in Russia and has danced their entire career in Russia.

This is most certainly true, although he could probably fit right in with all three of the companies' presentations. But there are plenty of other roles where he can better showcase his superb talent.

On 12/30/2016 at 0:23 PM, nanushka said:

How exciting would it be to see a Murphy–Hallberg–Abrera Giselle on Saturday night, followed by an Abrera–Gomes–Murphy Giselle three nights later?

Fingers crossed!

I was out of the country when his return was announced, but nanushka you took the though/words right out of my head! I'm tentatively planning a NYC trip in May but I can only do 3 days, which means if this actually happens, i'll still have to chose one or the other...timing-wise Sat evening is much more likely, but if it's not Hallberg I'm going to wish I planned for Tues!!!

On 1/24/2017 at 8:35 PM, ABT Fan said:

Hallberg has now been cast in Whipped Cream on May 22.

In Onegin opposite Hee Seo on June 21 and June 24.

And, in Souvenir on July 3 and 8, and Mozartiana on July 5, 6.

Murphy's Giselle on May 27 is still TBA.

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=5/1/2017

Hallberg is such a riveting Onegin and Albrecht! Please let it be him!

Edited by Fleurdelis

Mercedes and Espada are still TBA in DQ on May 16 and 20 (eve). I think Brandt and Paris would be very good as Mercedes (Paris has been given very litle to do since being promoted). I'd LOVE to see Royal get an Espada; he'd be terrific! Forster would also be great.

6 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I hope I'm not completely misremembering, but I could have sworn that Abrera was listed in the second slot for the May 22 opening night of Whipped Cream, as well as perhaps performances in the second run of the ballet. It's now listed as TBA. Does anyone recall?

I believe you're right. But, since there are now so many TBA's for that role, it looks like they're just going to shuffle casting around (not completely remove Abrera, I certainly hope, but I'm disappointed that she was removed from opening night). But, I don't see why they need to insert TBA's now. Just leave it as is until it's updated. (ABT loves last minute switcheroos anyway...)

On 2/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, ABT Fan said:

I believe you're right. But, since there are now so many TBA's for that role, it looks like they're just going to shuffle casting around (not completely remove Abrera, I certainly hope, but I'm disappointed that she was removed from opening night). But, I don't see why they need to insert TBA's now. Just leave it as is until it's updated. (ABT loves last minute switcheroos anyway...)

I greatly prefer TBA if they have decided that they don't know who is dancing. There are sometimes last minute cast changes at ABT, but it's always more irritating when one feels one has been misled--and in some cases misled into spending a lot of money--than when it's more or less unavoidable (injuries etc.).

Edited by Drew

If I recall correctly, the original cast for opening night was Simkin, Murphy, Gomes, Lane. Shortly after, Murphy and Gomes were removed. Gomes has been replaced by Hallberg but only for opening night (Gomes is still listed in the June casts with Simkin and Lane).

The big change really was Abrera in place of Murphy. Murphy is now with Abrera's original casts (Cornejo, Whiteside, Trenary in June, and Cirio, Whiteside, Copeland in May). Regardless of the reasons for the change, I'm sure it was for the best. Both ladies are incredible, so I'm sure it would have been equally great to have the other in their respective casts.

I really want to see the rest of the costumes. Princess Tea Flower's is beautiful.

Sarah Lane has posted this little clip of her and Daniil Simkin rehearsing Giselle. There's no dancing, but to me her charm, loveliness, and intelligence are so obvious in the few seconds we see here. I think they'll both be adorable and heartbreaking. Can't wait.

ABT Fan, thanks so much for posting the clip of Sarah and Daniil. I am definitely going to see her debut. She has posted a few other clips online (e.g., studio rehearsal clip of her opening Aurora variation) and it's always such a joy to see such beautiful dancing/acting. We've waited a long time for this Giselle.

On January 31, 2017 at 3:22 PM, ABT Fan said:

Mercedes and Espada are still TBA in DQ on May 16 and 20 (eve). I think Brandt and Paris would be very good as Mercedes (Paris has been given very litle to do since being promoted). I'd LOVE to see Royal get an Espada; he'd be terrific! Forster would also be great.

Apparently, my wish has come true. Royal will be doing Espada! ABT's website still says TBA for a few performances so not sure if he'll get more than one shot. Still!