This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Spring Season at The Met

5 minutes ago, Helene said:

This!

And as her Siegfied while we're at it???

1ba47bf1e022a451e372f3c17e01e0b3.jpg

Odd that Stearns and Whiteside haven't been assigned any Swan Lakes, though. I know they've been critiqued for their inadequate dramatic abilities as Siegfried, but still surprising.

The Russian dancer (I forget his name) who was brought in to dance with Part in La Bayadere was also a VERY secure partner.

I know that I might be in minority here, but I for one regret that ABT is not bringing any guest stars for the spring season.  I do not think that it is very likely that TBA spots would be offered to the guests. 

Although there may be a common perception that guest stars take away from the home grown dancers, they also bring here wide range of styles, schooling and, on many happy occasions, brilliance of technique and artistry.  This is a good opportunity for our dancers to watch, learn and broaden their horizons.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I just noticed that they're doing twelve (12!) performances of Whipped Cream. I didn't pay attention before and thought they were doing the standard one-week run. That's unprecedented, especially for a world premiere. 

Holy cow! I somehow missed that there was an early, short run of Whipped Cream in addition to the later, longer run. That's putting a lot of faith in a title that's unknown to most people, even dance fans. 

I don't think it's a bad strategy:  Ratmansky is the hottest name right now, the music will be hospitable, and rather than having a couple of days lag for the "wait-for-the-reviews" people to buy tickets when there's a full week run, they have a month, including the people who will be visiting NYC around the July 4 holiday.

They've also broken up "Giselle," which is now bracketed by three days of "Whipped Cream" on one side and "Golden Cockerel" on the other.  For mid-week visitors, they can grab two ballets either week.

2 hours ago, Helene said:

I don't think it's a bad strategy:  Ratmansky is the hottest name right now, the music will be hospitable, and rather than having a couple of days lag for the "wait-for-the-reviews" people to buy tickets when there's a full week run, they have a month, including the people who will be visiting NYC around the July 4 holiday.

They've also broken up "Giselle," which is now bracketed by three days of "Whipped Cream" on one side and "Golden Cockerel" on the other.  For mid-week visitors, they can grab two ballets either week.

Count me as one visiting fan pleased with the two ballets within a single week option. 

For Whipped Cream, they must also be hoping for Mark Ryden's fame/popularity to pull in NY audiences. I'm quite ignorant of the current art world, so I had to look him up when the ballet was first announced -- not at all sure what I think about his work. (The giant doll-like female heads sort of put me off even when I liked the otherwise "surreal" vibe.) But I admire Ratmansky and the casts are certainly appealing as well as the music.

I'm also someone who has more than enjoyed the occasional guest artist at ABT, and wouldn't mind seeing one or two on the roster but perhaps the new approach will lead to good, very good, or even great things for the company.

Edited by Drew

I was also a bit surprised not to see more listings for Hammoudi, Gorak, Scott, Royal, and Shayer.  But I suspect all of the male TBAs are contingent on developments at La Scala and how Anderson casts Onegin, as that's ABT's showpiece of choice for up-and-coming men still acclimating to the spotlight. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Scott/Brandt match-up as Espada/Mercedes in that highly-visible Don Q with Copeland.

Like a lot of other posters, I'm very happy that Murphy is getting her Giselle after carrying a lot of the same repertory load for the past few seasons:  very well-deserved.  And I'm pleasantly surprised at Shevchenko and Teuscher's casting. I thought they'd both receive a Swan Lake matinee...but this casting nicely emphasizes their major points of differentiation:  Shevchenko's effervescence and Teuscher's gravity.  (And I'm relieved that Shevchenko will be partnered by Lendorf for her Kitri debut:  I've lost fingernails watching two newbies debut simultaneously.) I think Trenary and Brandt are being well-served too (in addition to their appearances in Cockerel, Trenary's receiving leads in Whipped Cream and the entirety of the Tchaikovsky week; Brandt is surely a shoe-in for Olga.)

It's also a sign of strength (and of how little room there was for internal growth in past years), that two relatively late changes--the need to leave slack in case Bolle is required for a new role at La Scala and Semionova's pregnancy--haven't upset the applecart.

I agree with worries about Whipped Cream:  it still seems far more appropriate for POB in terms of both their audience's tolerance for sophisticated political commentary and their financial ability to take a hit. That having been said, if it's fully funded...

Edited by choriamb

Not nearly enough Ratmansky for my underdeveloped taste. Only 10 performances of Whipped Cream? Why not 20 while we're at it?

Also very disappointed that both Shevchenko's DQ and Lane's Giselle are matinees. I am very happy for both of them, but very unhappy that I won't be able to see neither performance, as I unfortunately still have to work during the day.

How refreshing it is to see ABT now being built from what appears to be within.  I think that Lendorf will be a definite plus in terms of male principals and being relatively young should be around for a good term.  Tragic if this really is the end of Hallberg as his length of absence seems to suggest.  

Just wanted to say that i was surprised that Gabe Stone Shayer - he being such a gloriously detailed dancer with such a richly focused love of the art form in his every move - was not cast in more named/noted assignments.  Happily I was able to catch up with ABT during their Paris stint - going to seven of the SBs.  For me - and it seemed the Parisian audience - with no hesitation but certainly defining cheers - Trenary and Shayer were the definite standouts.  I would love to see them dance together more.  Their bluebird PDD positively sang.  I, too, would like to see Forster given a nod or two more before what is currently extant as dramatic potential begins to dwindle.  

Edited by meunier fan
On 10/26/2016 at 9:49 AM, fondoffouettes said:

I wish they'd perform the Waltz of the Snowflakes instead. For me, that's the real takeaway masterpiece from the Ratmansky Nutcracker, and I miss seeing it every year. I understand, of course, why it wouldn't make sense for a mixed program, though.

It looks like they've really put the brakes on Hammoudi and Gorak, unless they get cast in some TBA slots. I'm particularly sad about the latter. I guess Cirio has taken up the roles that might have gone to Gorak. 

It will be interesting to see if there will still be the "Copeland effect" on ticket sales now that she's been cast in so many performances. It's hard to think of a dancer at ABT more ill-suited for Giselle.

Misty is listed for a total of 17 appearance dates during the  spring season.  That is more than any other female  principal on the ABT roster. 

Edited by abatt

I, for one, am grateful to ABT declaring a moratorium of sorts on bringing in non-ABTers. This is a great policy that should lead to more promotions from within at a faster pace.

Having missed the entire 2016 MET season, I am very excited about the announced 2017 season, particularly the all-Tchaikovsky mixed bill and Misty Copeland's Giselle. I'm also planning to indulge in a heaping serving of Whipped Cream, calories be damned.

On 10/26/2016 at 9:20 PM, Drew said:

Count me as one visiting fan pleased with the two ballets within a single week option. 

For Whipped Cream, they must also be hoping for Mark Ryden's fame/popularity to pull in NY audiences. I'm quite ignorant of the current art world, so I had to look him up when the ballet was first announced -- not at all sure what I think about his work. (The giant doll-like female heads sort of put me off even when I liked the otherwise "surreal" vibe.) But I admire Ratmansky and the casts are certainly appealing as well as the music.

I'm also someone who has more than enjoyed the occasional guest artist at ABT, and wouldn't mind seeing one or two on the roster but perhaps the new approach will lead to good, very good, or even great things for the company.

I am baffled by ABT cast lists or the lack thereof.  No 2017 performances until May 7 except the 7 Swan Lakes at the Kennedy Center  [Wed 1-25-17 thru Sun 1-29-17] and 3 Giselles [April in Oman].  No cast lists but May though July at the Met are loaded with principal cast lists.  DC should get prompt cast lists which were out for the LA Nutcracker.  Why is this?

The Met season has a few blocks where I could see different things but  NYCB [with Midsummer] is closed on Mondays and ABT on Sundays so ...

19 hours ago, maps said:

I am baffled by ABT cast lists or the lack thereof.  No 2017 performances until May 7 except the 7 Swan Lakes at the Kennedy Center  [Wed 1-25-17 thru Sun 1-29-17] and 3 Giselles [April in Oman].  No cast lists but May though July at the Met are loaded with principal cast lists.  DC should get prompt cast lists which were out for the LA Nutcracker.  Why is this?

The Met season has a few blocks where I could see different things but  NYCB [with Midsummer] is closed on Mondays and ABT on Sundays so ...

ABT's delay in listing tour casts and the listing of other performances is their norm. I assume for DC and Oman, the delay in releasing casting has to do with figuring out which principal dancers will be available for those tours, as not every principal dancer goes on every tour since many of them have other performing obligations. Maybe some of those dancers' schedules for 2017 haven't been nailed down yet, or they're still trying to iron out conflicts. But, every dancer performs at the Met for obvious reasons. I would think their touring schedule for next year would be finalized by this point, but maybe not, so I'm not sure why no more performances have been listed yet. However, it's customary to see more performances added to their schedule as the months progress, so I'm pretty sure they'll be going to more places besides DC and Oman in the Winter/Spring.

Based on my experience of buying single tickets at the Kennedy Center, the ballet series seems to be heavily subscribed, and ABT's Swan Lake sales may not be casting-dependent. On the other hand, filling the 3,800 seats of the Met is a tall order under any circumstances, and experience may have taught ABT that New Yorkers won't buy tickets for the season without a good indication of casting, especially since they see Swan Lake year after year (after year...). But obviously this far in advance it's impossible to predict how closely the actual casting will conform to what is currently posted.

As for the touring schedule, there may not be any additional dates in the first half of 2017 beyond what's already been announced. Look at the schedule for 2016. ABT performed for five days at the Kennedy Center and for four days in Detroit, and that was all they did prior to the Met season. The only difference this year is that Muscat is a somewhat more distant location than Detroit.

Edited by volcanohunter

My impatience got the best of me and I just ended up booking my DC SL tickets yesterday, without casting. I'm hoping it doesn't backfire on me, because I really do not want to see Hee Seo or Kochetkova.  I'm going to the Friday night and both Saturday performances.  I'll be super happy if I get to see either Veronica Part, Gillian Murphy, or Devon's debut.  I'd be okay with seeing Boylston or Copeland.

Also booked my subscription for the fall season.  Now I can start the countdown until Sarah Lane's Giselle debut.

Edited by Kaysta
37 minutes ago, apollosmuse said:

For what it's worth, I'd be shocked if Kochetkova is dancing w/ ABT on that tour, as SFB will be in season and that particular rep contains pieces she dances in regularly, so you can probably rule out seeing her :) 

For what it's worth I think it was crazy for ABT to engage Kochetkova as a principal dancer.  She's still with SFB, has a guesting career and after seeing her perform a few times I've concluded that she gets the job done but doesn't bring anything unique to any role that I've seen her in.

I have not been a tremendous Kochetkova fan.  I agree that she is blandly efficient.  However, I think her technique is far better than certain other principal ballerinas at ABT.  Also, Kevin McKenzie has a number of short men who need partners - Cornejo, Cirio,,  Simkin.  In order to fully employ them, he needs short ballerinas, and Kochetkova fits that description.  Also, Kochetkova does not cancel her ABT shows because she has to be somewhere else.  She has been reliable, despite her other jobs.   I think, like most other people, Kochetkova is better in certain roles.  I'm particularly looking forward to her Kitri, which I missed a few years ago.

Edited by abatt
8 hours ago, abatt said:

I have not been a tremendous Kochetkova fan.  I agree that she is blandly efficient.  However, I think her technique is far better than certain other principal ballerinas at ABT.  Also, Kevin McKenzie has a number of short men who need partners - Cornejo, Cirio,,  Simkin.  In order to fully employ them, he needs short ballerinas, and Kochetkova fits that description.  Also, Kochetkova does not cancel her ABT shows because she has to be somewhere else.  She has been reliable, despite her other jobs.   I think, like most other people, Kochetkova is better in certain roles.  I'm particularly looking forward to her Kitri, which I missed a few years ago.

I don't hate Kochetkova, but she's just not my cup of tea for O/O.  I liked her in the Shostakovich trilogy last year.

I think some of the bitterness regarding Kochetkova has to do with the fact that she does partner with the shorter men, and some folks feel they could have used Sarah Lane for those roles.   Although that is on McKenzie, not Kochetkova.

Mostly agreed with abatt and Kaysta.  I do think Kochetkova is more than "blandly efficient" although she doesn't delve as deeply into a work's style or interpretation as I would like.

However, I think the stagecraft aspect of her partnering--the nuanced ways that she interacts with her partners and enables them to look more engaged, too--is what makes her worthwhile. It's not just chemistry:  it's a skill.  And with the exception of Trenary, the other short pairings often look uncomfortable or TOO comfortable. (Kitri and Basilio should not look like an old married couple from the getgo.)