This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Interview with photographer Fred Lyon

An article on San Francisco photographer Fred Lyon, aged 92. Some great photos.

There is one change he dislikes, though, as it marks the 21st century as profoundly different from a more naïve time. (No, it’s not the digital revolution, which he confidently embraces.) It’s that fewer families live in San Francisco now, and the ones who do keep their children on tighter leashes.

“What I really miss is the kids playing in the street,” he said. “That was a constant source of joy for me. I don’t know where they’ve gone. Their parents don’t allow them out. It just doesn’t happen. The kids were always great. They’d laugh at this silly guy with the camera, and know I really wanted to get in their games with them. And indeed I did.”

Thanks for posting this interview, Dirac - love those vintage photos.

That first photo instantly reminded me of what a pain it was to park sideways on any of the steep hills and try to open the driver's door. Especially in the cars of the 1970s which were still made of steel.

I concur with Lyon that you don't see children playing throughout the day in the city anymore. Probably in any large city. Crime, and general attitudes about how children should be spending their time, have made that a rare occurrence. 'Unsupervised' children are simply not allowed.

Edited by pherank