This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Premiere of Whipped Cream by Ratmansky

12 hours ago, nanushka said:

Saturday night:

Was a bit less bothered by the schlagobers waltz choreo.

Was even more bothered by some inhibiting costumes, especially Don Zucchero's sack. It takes a lot to make me think well-executed (by A. Scott) double assemblés (probably my favorite male step) are ugly.

I agree completely and this expresses kind of what I've felt all season, in the little I've seen of him. Calvin Royal danced this last night and the contrast was striking: a taut, energetic performance. It's a chicken and egg question for me. Is Gorak disspirited because he's not advancing or is he not advancing because his performances have been beautiful but a bit flat?

Thomas Forster and Blaine Hoven were fabulous in the Cocoa and Sugar roles on Saturday afternoon.  Those two are future principals in my opinion.  I hope they start using them more.

37 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Thomas Forster and Blaine Hoven were fabulous in the Cocoa and Sugar roles on Saturday afternoon.  Those two are future principals in my opinion.  I hope they start using them more.

Agreed! (Though I didn't get to see Forster as Cocoa.) I'm excited to see Blaine in Mozartiana tonight. The reviews here on BA of his 2009 performances in the part were rather mixed, and he apparently had some difficulties with some of the trickier choreography, but I think he's grown a lot since then.

He danced it at least once with Veronika that year as well, subbing for Maxim B. His regular partner was Maria Ricceto.