Pamela Moberg

Nobel Prize to be announced 13 October

58 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, kfw said:

i doubt the Committee would be put off of rock stars because one of the most famously private and mysterious didn't show up. In any case, his gracious, if not exactly intellectually ambitious, acceptance speech is here.

I'm not entirely convinced that the source of his conduct is all that mysterious, but let's hope that it serves as a reminder to the Committee that it made a category error to be avoided in future.

"Pearl Buck." Now that's just mean, Bob.

8 hours ago, dirac said:

"Pearl Buck." Now that's just mean, Bob.

Coming from a critic today it might have been. Not coming from a reader of a certain age. 

I was out on the road when I received this surprising news, and it took me more than a few minutes to properly process it

LOL. A coupla weeks, I guess.

Drew, I agree. 

3 hours ago, kfw said:

Coming from a critic today it might have been. Not coming from a reader of a certain age. 

A lot of readers of a certain age raised eyebrows at that prize, I understand. I may have been giving him too much credit, but I don't think so. If it was a bit of a needle, it was rather funny.

33 minutes ago, dirac said:

A lot of readers of a certain age raised eyebrows at that prize, I understand. I may have been giving him too much credit, but I don't think so. If it was a bit of a needle, it was rather funny.

Would have been funny, yes, but it's one in a list of writers whose stock has not fallen, and whose work he says he himself been reading and absorbing. 

I'd say one of a list of writers of unarguable quality and canonic status. (Kipling's "stock" has gone up and down and up a bit over time.)

16 minutes ago, dirac said:

I'd say one of a list of writers of unarguable quality and canonic status. (Kipling's "stock" has gone up and down and up a bit over time.)

Yes, that's better put.

Like almost all awards, the Nobel says as much about the moment the award is given as it does about the historical importance of the honoree.

Bob Dylan finally accepts Nobel prize in literature at private ceremony in Stockholm

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/02/bob-dylan-finally-accepts-nobel-prize-in-literature-at-private-ceremony-in-stockholm

I doubt he cares about the prize money, but if he completed his "lecture" requirement, the money could be donated to whatever cause Dylan wished to support (if indeed there is one). But he's not a man of the Establishment, even after years of "success".

Coincidentally, I have of late been reading some early New Yorker articles, and interviews with Dylan (such as the controversial Nat Hentoff interview on behalf of Playboy magazine). Dylan's behavior actually makes perfect sense when compared to his past remarks and behavior - for better or worse, he hasn't changed all that much.