This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2016-2017 Promotions and Comings and Goings

Just exited opening night gala, the dancers' promotions were listed in the program, so the announcement after the first piece was not a surprise to the dancers. Still, the individual announcements and opportunities to take bows on stage, hear Peter Boal's words of praise and presentation of flowers was very lovely. 

Edited by Jayne

PNB dancers usually know about promotions several months in advance (this is not true at all companies, but PNB tends to announce internally when contracts are renewed)--it's just a surprise for us audience members :) I do love that PNB does on-stage announcements though; it's a nice moment of recognition for the dancers and a way for Peter Boal to say a few things about each of them in a public venue.

1 hour ago, apollosmuse said:

I do love that PNB does on-stage announcements though; it's a nice moment of recognition for the dancers and a way for Peter Boal to say a few things about each of them in a public venue.

It is a sweet moment -- I was really frustrated that I had to miss opening this year.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:40 PM, apollosmuse said:

Congratulations to Angelica Generosa and Matthew Renko on their promotions to soloist and Benjamin Griffiths on his promotion to principal!

Excited to see these dancers continue to be featured this year :)

There are almost no more overdue promotions than Benjamin Griffiths'.....in any major US company. FINALLY!

I changed the title to make it more inclusive.

There was a "Dancer News" section in the "Cendrillon" program.  It noted Imler's and Bold's impending end-of-season retirements, that Ruat has joined the company -- she was one of the corps women in the ball scenes in at least one cast, but those wigs were so extreme, I could barely recognize any of the dancers -- and that Amanda Clark danced her last performance with PNB in "Nutcracker."  (The last time I captured casting, she was cast as the Harlequin doll in the last, evening performance.)  From the program:

On December 28, corps de ballet dancer Amanda Clark said a quiet farewell to her stage career with PNB in order to pursue post-graduate opportunities in international development and diplomacy.  Her goodbye message included, "Thank you to everyone at PNB for the laughs, love, patience, challenges, guidance, lessons learned, and support system over the years.  PNB shaped not only my life's trajectory, but also shaped me as a person.  This influence ultimately stems from the incredible people at PNB.  Thank you dancers, artistic, admin costume/wardrobe, and all staff members for showing me the meaning of dedication and the transformative power of art and dance."

Clark earned undergraduate and a master's degree while at PNB and is one smart cookie.  I will miss her dancing. It's always sad to lose a senior corps member, one who creates the fabric and texture of the ballets.  I was glad to see her featured in the "Giselle" photoshoot: she was the poster girl for the new PNB production.

Her departure could explain the mid-season hire.  According to the program notes, "Ms. Ruat performed works by Frederick Ashton, George Balanchine, Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot, Michel Fokine, Jiri Kylian, Kenneth MacMillan, and Rudolf Nureyev, among others."

I will miss seeing Amanda Clark's dancing, as well. In addition to her corps roles, she was a lovely Princess Florine in Sleeping Beauty. She was also memorable at Jacob's Pillow. She performed in 3 Movements and Sum Stravinsky. She always had an elegance and warmth in her movement quality that drew my eye to her dancing. Best wishes, Amanda. 

On 2/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, Birdwatcher said:

She always had an elegance and warmth in her movement quality that drew my eye to her dancing. 

Such a perfect description. Congratulations to Ms. Clark on these exciting next steps, even if it's a bittersweet goodbye.

On 2017-02-18 at 7:39 PM, Helene said:

Clark earned undergraduate and a master's degree while at PNB and is one smart cookie.  I will miss her dancing."

Indeed a smart cookie. I have so much respect for dancers able to get academic credentials at all let alone while dancing lol. To be a dancer requires intelligence absolutely but academic smarts is imo just a different thing. For someone to have an ability for both is really rather amazing. A great future ahead of her I think.