This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day LIVE 2016 - October 4, 2016

On 9/3/2016 at 1:04 AM, sandik said:

They seem to have a "special guest companies" category, so perhaps PNB will make another appearance during the SFB slot.

Fingers crossed.  ;)

Presumably other companies are going to want in somehow, so I do wonder how that's going to be handled in the future - a 2 hour slot for each company?

From the PR Newswire:

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The Royal Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada, and San Francisco Ballet will collaborate for the third time to broadcast 20 hours of behind-the-scenes footage on Tuesday, October 4. For the first time, World Ballet Day LIVE will be streamed via Facebook LIVE—the longest broadcast ever to be shown on the platform.

World Ballet Day LIVE is a celebration of dance and an opportunity for audiences to see what it takes to be one of the world's top ballet companies, and get an inside look at the athleticism and dedication required for a life in ballet. Each company will introduce viewers to a variety of insights, from morning class, rehearsals for upcoming performances, and backstage preparations.

This year World Ballet Day LIVE will also include pre-recorded footage from a wide range of other dance organizations from across the world. Confirmed companies are: Ballets du Monte Carlo, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Boston Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, English National Ballet, Hong Kong Ballet, Houston Ballet, Miami City Ballet, Northern Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Queensland Ballet, Scottish Ballet, and West Australian Ballet.

World Ballet Day LIVE 2015 saw an unprecedented 349,000 views on the day itself and has subsequently reached an audience of over 2 million. Working with Facebook LIVE, it aims to reach an even wider audience via social media channels including Instagram. Viewers are encouraged to get involved using the hashtag #WorldBalletDay and #mydanceshoes submitting pictures and videos of their own dancing shoes.

The full schedule for the day will be released closer to the event date. For more information, visit sfballet.org/WBD

About World Ballet Day LIVE
The first World Ballet Day LIVE was held on October 1, 2014. The live broadcast attracted a total of 502,823 views from dance lovers around the world who watched for an average of 27 minutes. Allowing unparalleled, behind-the-scenes access, the 20-hour streaming project garnered critical and viewer acclaim, with the New York Times declaring it an "unprecedented bout of internationalism" and the Toronto Star calling it a "milestone event." World Ballet Day LIVE was inspired by Royal Ballet Live in 2012, a nine-hour live streaming via YouTube and The Guardian website.

From the P.R. release:

"This year World Ballet Day LIVE will also include pre-recorded footage from a wide range of other dance organizations from across the world. Confirmed companies are: Ballets du Monte Carlo, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Boston Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, English National Ballet, Hong Kong Ballet, Houston Ballet, Miami City Ballet, Northern Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Queensland Ballet, Scottish Ballet, and West Australian Ballet."

Sasha De Sola posted this information on her Instagram and Facebook pages, but I don't know if she's referring to the SFB Facebook page (presumably) or her own page:
"Join me on Facebook Live this Monday morning, October 3 at 9:45am PDT for a sneak peek into #WorldBalletDay. Learn more about what’s in store and how we’re preparing for the big day! I'll guide you on a behind the scenes look at @sfballet ! See you all there!"

Detailed information including guest companies are available on the official World Ballet Day live page, you don't have to refer to dansomanie. (the administrators seems to hate to refer to other forums...) 

Especially the Royal Ballet Section has specific information about the rehearsals.

http://worldballetday.com/

Some nice barre class videos related to World Ballet Day Live (National Ballet of Canada and Royal Ballet)

SFB just sent out an email with this schedule listed:

All of the times listed below are in Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).

October 3
7 pm     The Australian Ballet
11 pm     Bolshoi Ballet
October 4
3 am     The Royal Ballet
7 am     The National Ballet of Canada
11 am     San Francisco Ballet

This refers to SFB's portion only:

Rehearsals
Haffner Symphony
Composer: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

Frankenstein
Composer: Lowell Liebermann
Choreographer: Liam Scarlett

Diamonds
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: George Balanchine

Pas/Parts 2016
Composer: Thom Willems
Choreographer: William Forsythe

Cinderella
Composer: Sergei Prokofiev
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon

Interviews
Artistic Director & Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson
Principal Dancer Frances Chung
Principal Dancer Joseph Walsh
Principal Dancer Maria Kochetkova

Hosted by former SF Ballet Principal dancer Joanna Berman

Special Guest Companies (whether any of these will be live, or pre-recorded and edited, is not mentioned)
Houston Ballet
Ballet Nacional Sodre
Pacific Northwest Ballet

Re the PNB section -- it sounds like it's mostly an edited down recording of excerpts from their most recent rep (Three Movements and Apassionata by Millepied and Symphony in C), along with some "this is who we are and what our day is like" hostessing by Carrie Imler.

More info from yesterday's World Ballet Day email -- remember, it starts this evening, October 3, in North America, because it will be October 4 in Australia, where the event begins.

We go live in less than 24 hours for World Ballet Day 2016! We hope you are all ready to get involved; dance along with us and send us your pictures using the hashtag #WorldBalletDay

You can watch the full stream on the World Ballet Day website.

This year we are thrilled to announce that the below list of guest companies will also be joining us on the day by live streaming on their own Facebook pages throughout the 20 hours:

The Australian Ballet
Hong Kong Ballet
Queensland Ballet
Western Australia Ballet 

The Bolshoi Ballet
Ballets de Monte Carlo
Nederlands Dans Theater

The Royal Ballet
Birmingham Royal Ballet
Dutch National Ballet
English National Ballet
Estonian National Ballet
Finnish National Ballet
La Scala Ballet Company
Northern Ballet
Norwegian National Opera & Ballet
Polish National Ballet
Scottish Ballet
Stuttgart Ballet
The Royal Danish Ballet
The Royal Swedish Ballet
Wiener Staatsballett

National Ballet of Canada
Boston Ballet
Miami Ballet

San Francisco Ballet
Ballet Nacional Sodre
Pacific Northwest Ballet

Although the WBD and individual company websites seem to be pushing people to watch live on Facebook, I'm not convinced that this would be the most reliable connection. I may watch from one of the individual company pages as that worked well last year.

But I'd like to hear of people's experiences watching on Facebook.

To use SFB as an example, it will be possible to watch from their website:
https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/2016-world-ballet-day

And from their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/sfballet/

And possibly from their YouTube page, but that may not be available until SFB's program begins on 10/4:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SFBallet

If anyone has direct links--I'm trying to find channels and all I can find are ads and previews or old World Ballet day links -- even on the World Ballet Day website there isn't just some "click this" that gets me to the live action I had thought was underway...I know I must be being thick, but any help would be welcome.  

I've elected to watch on the WBD site. I was getting halting video during the Australian Ballet class, but since refreshing the feed, it's been fine. I wonder what viewership is like. The stats on Facebook don't look that impressive, bearing in mind that it's evening in Melbourne, early morning in London and the middle of the night throughout North America. Last I looked on FB, Australian Ballet had 265 viewers, the Bolshoi 303, the ROH 535, the National Ballet of Canada 58 and SFB 160.

3 hours ago, Emma said:

Is anyone else struggling with the feed?  It keeps cutting out and won't restart by itself.

The best thing to do seems to be to just hit the page refresh button in your browser, then you will see the large play icon displayed across the now still video, click that to restart the stream. I find that the stream can be restarted immediately. The individual web pages should provide some instruction, but for some reason there are none.

The archived videos are likely to get much larger viewership than the live streams - it's just easier to deal with.

NOTE: I have to admit that the Facebook feed seems to be more accurate than what I'm seeing elsewhere. The stream on the SFB website keeps getting interrupted by BNC footage, which is a rather bizarre technical problem. The SFB Facebook feed does not have that problem, but it does have endless streams of emojis.

"We’re experiencing some technical difficulties - the broadcast is replaying video from earlier in the day. We’re currently working on fixing this issue. In the meantime we recommend watching on Facebook."

Edited by pherank