This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Eva Evdokimova

MakarovaFan

I recently discovered Eva Evdokimova and am in love with her dancing. This is how I found her (see below). Her Sylphide is so exquisite. Her ballon, entrechats, gorgeous footwork, beautiful fingers, softness and how she skims the surface of the stage. If only there was her full length Sylphide on video. 

It is one of my greatest frustrations that this performance of La Sylphide by the London Festival Ballet is sitting somewhere in a BBC archive. Eva Evdokimova, Peter Schaufuss and Niels Bjørn Larsen. Come on!! If there were one telecast I could get out of the vaults and onto disc, this would be it. I have only the feeblest pirate, and watching it is simultaneously awe-inspiring and exasperating. because I'm dying to see it in its full glory.

I've never seen or heard of her before, but sometimes first impressions may add some interest. I've watched the above clip and some Giselle that followed.

Her hands are beautifully expressive. They float wonderfully and definitively reflect her character. 

She also has a fine sense of theater. I would consider this to be very 'English.' She has a fine, perhaps even 'Shakespearian,' sense of drama, both in her portrayal and in the way that her dance becomes an extension of this.

This even seems kind of modern. It has a sense of TV or motion picture, of being close-up. I've seen this sort of thing with dancers such as Tamara Rojo and continue to watch with great interest how Xander Parish (formerly Royal Ballet (England)) merges this with Mariinsky fineness. 

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction

Thanks, everyone, for the videos and comments.

Here’s some background from her obituary (invoking my feeling of sadness that she's no longer with us) in “The Gardian.”

“More important than any prize was the attention she attracted from Ulanova and from the great teacher Asaf Messerer, who said his interest was because of her "interpretative qualities with its spirituality, clarity and musicality of the dance". Encouraged by Ulanova, she went to Varna again in 1970 and won the only gold medal, thus garnering overnight international acclaim. (A gold at Varna in those days had Olympic prestige.)

“Evdokimova had danced with Nureyev on many occasions as a guest and also as a member of his own group, Nureyev and Friends,….

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/apr/09/obituary-eva-evdokimova

On second viewing I’m very impressed by the clarity and sculptural beauty of her dancing (especially in her legs) in the “La Sylphide” video posted above by MakarovaFan.

Edited by Buddy
half a sentence and a few other words added

I was in England and watched this on TV when it was first broadcast - Dance Month, just imagine.... :dry:

Dance Month

BBC Two England, 31 May 1980 20.25

Synopsis

Edit

The London Festival 
Ballet in La Sylphide Choreographer 
PETER SCHAUFUSS after August Bournonville 
Music : HERMAN LOVENSKJOLD 
JOHN DRUMMOND introduces the opening production in BBC2's Dance Month 1980, which comes direct from the stage of the London Coliseum. Peter Schaufuss 's brilliant re-creation of the full-length romantic ballet won him the Evening Standard Ballet Award for 1979. 
Set in the glens of Scotland, the ballet tells the story of James, a young farmer, who loses his heart to a sylph and for her sake deserts his human bride-to-be on the eve of their wedding. The evil witch, Madge, traps James and his sylph with a magic scarf - and, for once, evil triumphs! 
Designer DAVID WALKER Lighting JOHN B. READ ORCHESTRA OF LONDON 
FESTIVAL BALLET conducted by TERENCE KERN 
Television lighting JOHN MASON Television sound GRAHAM HAINES 
Vision mixer GRAHAM GILES Director DEREK BAILEY t

Contributors

Music: Herman Lovenskjold
Introduces: John Drummond
Unknown: Peter Schaufuss
Designer: David Walker
James: Peter Schaufuss
The Sylph: Eva Evdokimova
Madge: Niels Bjorn Larsen
Effie: Margot Clarke
Gurn: Nicholas Johnson
First Sylph: Andria Hall

I just watched a video clip of Galina Ulanova (in her twenties?) dancing the Odette duet from Swan Lake. In aura, I find a lovely resemblance between her and Eva Evdokimova. In fact, just looking at my last post above, Galina Ulanova was very atracted to her and greatly encouraged her. 

Edited by Buddy