This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Los Angeles Ballet Drops Coppelia from 2016-17 Schedule

1 hour ago, California said:

I found an unaltered PDF announcement of their season still on-line. It doesn't say anything about Balanchine in the paragraph on Coppelia, although he is credited in two other programs. Although this is not decisive, it does imply that this was not his version. 

http://losangelesballet.org/pdf/Los Angeles Ballet Presents Season 11.pdf

I was just thinking that there would have been a possibility of renting costumes/sets from PNB or SFB if it was the Balanchine version. But if the funds never materialized...

If you Google Coppelia-sets-costumes-rent, it turns out there are companies all over the continent with things they're happy to rent. The best guess for the cancellation is a shortage of money - for costume-set rentals, rehearsals, stagers, dancers, whatever. We know from experts like Michael Kaiser that ticket revenues bring in only about 50% of the operating budget of a typical ballet company, with the rest coming from donors and grants. If their budget is coming up short, something had to go and perhaps maintaining their Balanchine legacy (which is considerable) was more important than staging a generic version of Coppelia.

I would imagine that budget comes into play with this as well.  A program-length narrative ballet usually requires a larger cast than the Balanchines they have scheduled for the spring.  But I do assume that the major element in a choice they'd make would be their company style.