This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

“SEDAGIVE?!?!

Very sad news. Many jollies from Wilder over the years (quite a few clinkers in there  as well, but it happens).

I would tend to give the crown to his Baron von Frankenstein. It’s my understanding that the “Puttin’ on the Ritz” routine, one of the funniest bits ever put on screen, was his idea.

I never much liked “The Producers” but he remains the ultimate nebbish. “I’m in PAIN…. And I’m WET….and I’m STILL HYSTERICAL!”

(All from memory.)

And of course, his sheep-enamored doctor in “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex…..”

Hard to digest that he was in his eighties. Of course, Robert Redford just turned 80 and that piece of information still doesn't compute.

As Cygnet noted in a now-deleted thread, he had been married to the late Gilda Radner, who died untimely. RIP to both.

Yes, very sad news - Rest in Peace Gene.

I didn't realize just how old Gene was either - I see now that he didn't achieve real fame until he was almost 40 years of age. Redford did have some starring roles when he was still in his twenties.

Here's youngish Gene with Sutherland and the also great Victor Spinetti (a contributor to the various Beatles films too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5XP9TFVa18

(just fixed the link)

Edited by pherank

I find the Producers very uneven--some parts even seem unwatchable to me...but the parts I like -- I LOVE.  The first time I saw it, they made me laugh uncontrollably. Sometimes still do...

(The 'Puttin' on the Ritz' number in Young Frankenstein was my very favorite part of the movie and the only part I much remember today...)

I remember seeing and really enjoying Start the Revolution without Me as a child...I just watched a few bits on youtube...and it still seemed pretty funny.

Bummed about this news.

10 hours ago, Drew said:

I find the Producers very uneven--some parts even seem unwatchable to me...but the parts I like -- I LOVE.  The first time I saw it, they made me laugh uncontrollably. Sometimes still do...

(The 'Puttin' on the Ritz' number in Young Frankenstein was my very favorite part of the movie and the only part I much remember today...)

I remember seeing and really enjoying Start the Revolution without Me as a child...I just watched a few bits on youtube...and it still seemed pretty funny.

Bummed about this news.

Yes, "The Producers" is very much like the little girl with the curl. Mel Brooks' work tends to be uneven generally, "The Producers" is just more so. "Young Frankenstein" is Brooks' most consistent piece of work and I'm sure Wilder's contribution had a lot to do with that. 

Wilder had Alzheimer's and so this was probably a release for him, so I try to think of it that way. If you make it to 83 you've done pretty well.

"You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know...... morons."