This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

UPGRADE PHASE 1 IS OVER

After a bit of a struggle, including locking myself out several times, the board is back up. :wub:.  This new version is very different, and I decided to bring it up as is, and poke away at it over the next week.

The main issue I've seen so far is getting a message that my password is incorrect.  I've learned that I need to try one more times, and if that doesn't work, to open up another browser window and bring up the site, and more often than not, I'm signed in to the other instance.  Very annoying.

There are a lot of changes, some intuitive, some not so much.  If you suddenly find yourself locked from a forum, please let me know, by PM, Contact Us (menu or link at the bottom of site), or by replying to this thread.

I'll be posting more info and making changes as I figure things out, but here are some high-level things:

• To find content, click "Content" from the menu, and you'll get a number of options.
  • Until I can figure out how to make a link, if the Contact Us form at the bottom of the site doesn't work for you, clicking "Contact Us" from the menu will bring you to a post with our email address.
  • You can decide forum by forum whether you want to get notification when there are more replies by toggling the switch under the post box and above the Submit Topic bar.
  • In the top right under the search bar, there's a button for "Unread Content" and another "Mark site read," which was removed in v.3, but is back for v.4.

3 hours ago, MadameP said:

Seriously ... please someone tell me in VERY SIMPLE  terms EXACTLY how to just see new posts, like the page I used to look at that used to show just new comments each day?  Thank you!!!

You can either click "Unread Content" under the Search box under your username in the upper right, or you can choose "Content" > "Unread Content" from the main left menu

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 4.44.38 AM.jpg

During the upgrade, all of the "Unread Content" was reset, and you should see very little until there are more new posts.

1 hour ago, maps said:

I now have an option to attach files but only see the 2 brief posts above and  part of the third on a small laptop/ipad screen.  Is there a "classic view" option where you see more "transactions" or posts?    https://developers.google.com/webmasters/mobile-sites/ 

The attachments option should not have been enabled, and I've changed the setting.

There used to be an option at the bottom of the mobile app to revert to the desktop view, but that was removed in this release to rely on the phone browser to "Request desktop site."  That didn't work for me on my Android.

There should be an option at the bottom of the page to "Load more activity." 

I can look through the help files this weekend, but I don't see anything in my preliminary search that allows a classic view within the software.

Oddly, all the subject heading are shown lined up vertically as if in a column only one character wide... Until I click in far enough to read all the comments, then they suddenly align in a normal horizontal layout.  It is a little hard to read.  Not sure if this is because I am reading on an old iPad or what.

I'm afraid I don't have an iPad or iPhone.  Is anyone else with those devices experiencing the same issues as Amy?  If so, would you please let me know the model you're using?

I know that a lot of software right now is optimized and tested for a limited range of operating systems.  (That's why I no longer have a gen 1 iPad...)

While it's true that old habits die hard, "Patience is virtue" is still a truism.

Ingratitude is toxic.

Unhappy campers can always decamp to whatever campsite they choose.

Thank you, Helene, for all your thankless efforts.

I am constantly in awe of people who take it on themselves to do this sort of thing - upgrading and software and hardware and all of that exotic stuff with which those of us born before 1960 sometimes tend to have "issues". 

So, thank you for doing all of this! :) 

I am still learning what to do and how to do it. :) 

-d-

Two problems I'm having -

1) Restricting my "content type" to postings by members only – rather than seeing them lost on a sea of Community Calendar items. If I do manage to narrow the content type, it seems to work only temporarily – when I return to the site, the setting goes back to "all types".

2) I am not able to scroll back to topic postings before a couple of days ago. In the former build I was able to click "new content" and specify 24 hours, one week or even longer and see everything in sequence. It was an easy way of catching up, much easier than hunting through all the Forums and sub-forums on the home page.

Are there some controls I've not set properly? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Quiggin

Have you saved a new Activity Stream?  

From the Content Tab (to the right of the Forums Tab, under the logo), and the My Activity Streams drop-down choose the Create New Stream button.  From there you name a stream, and then customize it, specifying content and date range among other attributes, and your stream(s) will appear on the list.  You can make more than one customer activity stream for different uses.  You can also create a new stream by changing the settings for any of the standard streams and then saving.

I've got two saved.  I haven't had them long enough to notice that they've lost their search criteria/settings.

The events will stop being so prominent when I finish the bulk of the work on the Calendar.  They will appear in spurts throughout the year as tours are announced, and as the Russian company websites make updates.

Thank you, Helene, that is helpful! 

I am still unsure how to set it up that I see only the main thread, and not every single entry in that thread. (am I making sense? At present I see, as I scroll down the page of "my stream", which I just created, every single entry in a thread,listed extra. It's not terrible, of course, but it is a bit disconcerting. :)

-d-

I'm having a heck of a time finding anything. Perhaps this is still a work in progress but I miss keeping up with the site. I appreciate the need to update; I'm happy to be patient but, if I should be able to find anything right now, I'm clearly doing something wrong. 

8 hours ago, diane said:

Thank you, Helene, that is helpful! 

I am still unsure how to set it up that I see only the main thread, and not every single entry in that thread. (am I making sense? At present I see, as I scroll down the page of "my stream", which I just created, every single entry in a thread,listed extra. It's not terrible, of course, but it is a bit disconcerting. :)

-d-

Do you mean that the site no longer brings you to the last post you've read in a thread, but instead brings you to the beginning of the thread?

Whenever we do a major upgrade (3.X to 4.X, which we just did), and sometimes when we do a minor one (ex:  3.1 to 3.2), we can lose the history of what everyone has read: as far as it knows, you've never read anything. That's also why if you look for unread content, it shows you everything.

Normally, marking the site read (link at the bottom right hand corner of the site) will bring you to the last post of every thread, but that isn't working for me.  The best way to go to the end of a thread that you know you've been part of is to click the ">>" (last page) option at the top of the page.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 6.57.30 AM.jpg

6 hours ago, VanKirk said:

I'm having a heck of a time finding anything. Perhaps this is still a work in progress but I miss keeping up with the site. I appreciate the need to update; I'm happy to be patient but, if I should be able to find anything right now, I'm clearly doing something wrong. 

I need more of a description of what you're looking for or what you used to do to be able to help you.  The forums are in the same format as before, and the home page is now almost close to what it was in the prior version.

There are now standard queries that include all content.  You can customize them for your own purposes.  

When you enter the home page, the default tab, just under the logo, is Forums.  If you click the "Content" tab, "All Activity" is the default, but you can also choose "Unread Content," or "Content I Started" or you can choose "My Activity Streams," which includes a list of standard streams, and your Custom Streams.  

To customize a stream, choose any standard options from the menu or the "Unread content" link in the bottom right corner of the site, and customize it using the drop-down selections.  As soon as you change the default, a button will appear in the right under the options to "Save As New Stream," where you'll get the option to create a name.  If you save, it will then appear under Content > My Activity Streams > Custom Streams.

This is the paradigm of this version of the software:  you can add your own customization, but you can't change the defaults themselves.

Here I clicked on Content > My Activity Streams > Content I Posted In, which shows the default settings.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 7.06.45 AM.jpg

Here I opted to change the Time Period from the drop-down:

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 7.08.03 AM.jpg

Here you see the option to "Save As New Stream" and the list of Custom Streams in the "My Activity Streams" menu.  If I had clicked the "Save As New Stream" button, I would have been asked to name it, and once I clicked OK, the button would have disappeared, and the new stream would have appeared on the Custom Streams List along with "My Stream" and "My Unread Content," which I created last night.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 7.12.31 AM.jpg

for what it's worth, i find it simple to get the latest unread post by clicking on the time given for the comment in question, such as "26 minutes ago" in the case of this post.

getting the 'hang' here is a learning curve, i suppose, but his low-level 'puter user is finding things fairly easily now, even if/when the process is different from a previous process.