This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello from Iowa

Hello. My name is Emma, I'm twenty-six years old, and I've been a ballet dancer for over eighteen years now. However, I had been dancing on my own for the past ten years. I just started back with ballet classes about a month ago. Aside from ballet, I also enjoy Irish dancing, tap, jazz dance, color guard, swimming, fencing, dancers' fashion, and creating my own costumes.

Probably the strangest and most unusual thing about me is that I seem to have too many sensory nerve receptors. In other words, I am a super "feeler". (It's sort of like being a "super-taster", but only for tactile sensation.) For example, I could tell you exactly how many teeth are in a fine-tooth comb just by brushing it against the back of my neck. (Yes, I can feel that much!)

Unfortunately, my gift tends to be a curse as well, as much of the pain asscociated with ballet training is also amplified as well. This has made my life as a dancer even more difficult, but I feel as if I have grown so much stronger because of this.

Hello Celestrial Kiss, and welcome to Ballet Alert!, a discussion board from the point of view of the viewer. We'd love to hear you experiences of ballets you've seen.

You may find our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers (BT4D) helpful from the dancing side. You need to register separately, as we have different sign-ups and policies. The process is similar to the one you used to join Ballet Alert!.

The link is here:

http://www.dancers.invisionzone.com

and is always accessible from the "BT4D" link from the menu just below our logo.