This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fairy coaches

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 12:55 PM

Francis Mason was here this weekend, and I asked him if he knew which Cupid Balanchine had played. (Mason collaborated with Balanchine on the Stories of the Great Ballets and had, thus, conversed with Mr. B about such important things.) He said that Balanchine's Cupid had sat atop one of the fairy coaches, that in that production (and this would have been in 1916), each fairy had a coach, and made her entrance in a coach in the Prologue.

DOUG, do you know if this was something added later (post 1903) OR, if not, why they're not in this production?

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 05:07 PM

What an entrancing prospect......

Carabosse has a Bad Kitty one, but I wish they all had them.....

#3 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 07:03 PM

I've always thought he was a cupid on Canari's cage in Act III. I have an 1890 group picture of the Act III characters and Canari is in a big bird cage with little kids sitting on the edges. The Kirov includes this in their production. Balanchine wrote, "I also appeared as a cupid on one of the carriages in the final act," (Balanchine's Complete Stories ... page 746).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):