This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Elena Yevseyeva

Very surprised, but pleasantly so, that Elena Yevseyeva is now listed as a First Soloist at the Mariinsky. However, I feel her repetoire, although large in secondary and soloist roles, lacks a lot of major roles. I have seen her in person as a spitfire Kitri, a great Gulnare who is in love with her looks, and a very smooth peasant pas de Deux in Giselle (mastering the very difficult turns that end in linking arms with the male without coming off pointe)......

Anyway, congratulations to her! Maybe her recent appearances in the Bronze Horseman helped promote her. My gut feeling is that she is limited in her roles, but I hope she proves me wrong. I would like to see her succeed in more major roles.

I had seen her as Gamzatti while she was a soloist at Mikhailovsky Theatre, and that was perfectly suited for her character. And this year I saw her in The Bronze Horseman which was also superb, she put much into the drama as well with lyricism of fer dancing. I am very happy with her promotion and also wish she would get more major roles.

I loved her Kitri. I feel that her Kitri was as spicy and fiery as Osipova (when she was first making shockwaves around the world), but with an added femininity that made her Kitri even better. Whereas Osipova was fiery and tomboyish, Yevseyeva was fiery and feminine.

I have seen Evseeva in many roles at Mariinsky Theatre - among them Masha, Syuimbike, Gamzatti, Kitri and the Sylph, and I am so pleased for her! She is a fine actress, an excellent technician with speed, vivacity and flair, and if there are some roles that some people feel she may not be quite as suited for as others, well, all I can say is it is a very rare ballerina who can dance every ballerina role in the repertoire equally effectively, and there are SEVERAL principals who certainly are not suitable for some of the roles they dance! :) Good for Evseeva!

I've seen her as Kitri (Don Quixote) and thought that she had a wonderful lively quality as well as some exciting technical ones that both went very well together. Last April I saw her in the debut series of “The Bronze Horseman” (I liked it very much) and she was once again able to exhibit a fine technical prowess, which this work requires, with a delicate loveliness, both in her solo/partnered dancing and her captivating portrayal, which I wrote at the time stole my heart. I wish her much success and happiness.