This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am not sure this will be view-able in USA (possibly geo-blocked) but Arte will stream the July 16th performance of New York City Ballet in Theatre du Chatelet, Paris

Walpurgisnacht Ballet - George Balanchine
Sonatine - George Balanchine
La Valse - George Balanchine 
Symphony in C - George Balanchine 

The streaming will be on July 16 20:00 (Paris time) but I think it will be online for a while.

WALPURGISNACHT BALLET: Mearns, Danchig-Waring, Lovette, Segin, Villwock
SONATINE: M. Fairchild, De Luz [solo Piano: Chelton]
LA VALSE: Hyltin, J. Angle, Ramasar, Ippolito, King, Carmena, Isaacs, Suozzi, Laracey, Catazaro, Smith, Muller,
Anderson
SYMPHONY IN C: T. Peck, Veyette, Reichlen, T. Angle, Pereira, Huxley, Pollack, Stanley
Producer / Achievement:
Bel Air Media (possibly released as DVD)

I was going to say the same thing. Arte's geo-blocks are relatively easy to circumvent. In the past I was able to use some of the free VPN services, like Hola Unblocker, to watch Arte Concert. I haven't tried it recently (having moved on to a comprehensive VPN subscription), but the Arte site is not the fortress that, say, Culturebox can be.

I would be perfectly happy to pay Arte for the privilege of watching its geo-blocked streams from abroad, but since they don't make that option available, I end up giving my pennies to a VPN instead. Having the means to watch virtually any stream from just about any country is absolutely worth the subscription price. I suppose a VPN subscription is this generation's equivalent of owning a region-free DVD player.

Thanks for the information, naomikage! How nice that Arte is doing PBS' job. :whistling:

CyberGhost vpn is working for me - I downloaded it (free) and it's unlimited viewing for 3 days - then the free version will limit you to 3 hours at a time. Once you download it, you need to add the concert.arte.tv/fr website to the list of available websites and then choose a server- I chose one in Paris. voila! NYCB performance begins at 2 pm eastern time.

What a wonderful performance! To note, apprentice Alston Macgill danced the third movement of Symphony in C. Such a lovely ball of energy

I wonder what happened to Erica Periers, who was supposed thr dance the role. I didn't think Alston was that good but somehow Anthiny made it work! In fact congratulations to all the NYCB dancers who performed both tonight and other nights. They were received with great enthusiasm. We here in NYC should make them feel as loved as the French.

I agree it wasn't a perfect performance -- certainly there were partnering issues that I thought Anthony covered well, but I don't have the highest expectations from the youngins. Nevertheless I was very impressed by her energy and enthusiasm (and that's what I like seeing!)

I am not sure this will be view-able in USA (possibly geo-blocked) but Arte will stream the July 16th performance of New York City Ballet in Theatre du Chatelet, Paris

Walpurgisnacht Ballet - George Balanchine
Sonatine - George Balanchine
La Valse - George Balanchine 
Symphony in C - George Balanchine 

The streaming will be on July 16 20:00 (Paris time) but I think it will be online for a while.

WALPURGISNACHT BALLET: Mearns, Danchig-Waring, Lovette, Segin, Villwock
SONATINE: M. Fairchild, De Luz [solo Piano: Chelton]
LA VALSE: Hyltin, J. Angle, Ramasar, Ippolito, King, Carmena, Isaacs, Suozzi, Laracey, Catazaro, Smith, Muller,
Anderson
SYMPHONY IN C: T. Peck, Veyette, Reichlen, T. Angle, Pereira, Huxley, Pollack, Stanley
Producer / Achievement:
Bel Air Media (possibly released as DVD)

Thank you, naomikage, and to those who posted and helped with the VPN work-arounds :thanks: . This is very exciting to watch (I'm on my second round, while I knit and putter :flowers: . A great treat on the heels of NYCB at SPAC, opening night July 20, too. What a wonderful program and each of the four ballets were danced beautifully. A few thoughts: I'm becoming more impressed with Lauren Lovette. Tess Reichlen was just lovely in 2nd movement of Symphony in C - she has a quiet seriousness and allure that I find quite compelling. I loved Sterling and Jared in La Valse. Megan has grown artistically, I think - loved her in Sonatine. I agree with the comments about Alston - very coltish, but she is young and will grow into her roles. I'm always impressed with Joaquin, Taylor, Anthony and Tyler. Congratulations, NYCB, for a terrifically successful run in Paris! Seeing this live-stream makes me feel as if I were there, cheering them on, if oh so remotely.

FYI, I used CyberGhost and it worked great.

Among the ballets in the program, Sonatine is new for me and I'm finding that I love it. It's a jazzy, flirty and nuanced pas de deux, with sweet interplay and dialogue between the dancers.

That would be great -- I cannot figure out how to work around the geo-blocking.

Hi Sandik,

I viewed the performance from my PC, not a device. I downloaded free CyberGhost. It gave me the choice to select 'French' as a server, then I came back to BA here and clicked into naomikage's link to the performance. And it worked! I hope you can get to view this performance. It's really special. I should also say that I was successful, despite not being a tech genius :helpsmilie: .

I'm sorry you haven't had any luck with that, sandik. As I understand it (not being a tech genius either!), essentially you have to disguise your IP address by directing your internet traffic through a server in France or Germany (in this case), and then the Arte site won't recognize the actual location of your computer. Some posters had luck with CyberGhost. I can vouch for the effectiveness of IPVanish.

But yes, the opening credits of the stream read "Arte France présente/zeigt un coproduction/eine Koproduktion Arte France, Bel Air Media en collaboration avec/in Zussamenarbeit mit Thirteen Productions LLC for WNET: Balanchine, New York-Paris." Let's hope that Thirteen's eventual broadcast is picked up by other PBS stations around the U.S.

It's more than a little frustrating that American companies seem to have to go on tour to Europe in order to arrange a PBS broadcast. Paul Taylor's most recent PBS appearance was also filmed in Paris, Mark Morris'--in Madrid. Lord knows PNB hasn't been filmed in a long time, but I believe it was last filmed in London. Like bingham, I would be thrilled to bits if ABT's Sleeping Beauty were to be filmed on tour in Paris. But I am scratching my head as to why San Francisco Ballet seems to be the only ballet company in the U.S. to be filmed in its home theater with any sort of regularity.

I wonder what happened to Erica Periera, who was supposed thr dance the role. I didn't think Alston was that good but somehow Anthony made it work! In fact congratulations to all the NYCB dancers who performed both tonight and other nights. They were received with great enthusiasm. We here in NYC should make them feel as loved as the French.

I wonder what happened to Erica Periera, who was supposed thr dance the role. I didn't think Alston was that good but somehow Anthony made it work! In fact congratulations to all the NYCB dancers who performed both tonight and other nights. They were received with great enthusiasm. We here in NYC should make them feel as loved as the French.

I thought Alston incredibly promising. She is an apprentice with the company and no doubt on her first tour. If a dancer is thrown into something, it is not unusual for her partner to have to be there to make it work. Periera/De Luz in Raymond last season was a prime example. In the case of Symphony in C, I was thrilled to see a young apprentice out there, holding her own in the last movement line-up with the two principals and a soloist. Good for her. I hope to see more of Alston, and expect I will.

Sara Mearns was at her best ever in Walpurgisnacht aka Faust. I'm always a fan of Adrian although he didn't dance that much in Faust, he was a rare beauty. I so loved Tiler Peck in 1st Movement of Sym in C along with Andy Veyette. It was complete magic from NYCB in this beautiful program in such a pretty theater, and the Paris audience was greatly appreciative.

Thank you clearing up who was dancing in the third movement of Symphony in C. I knew that it didn't look like Erica P., but I had no idea who was dancing in her place. I hope they do show this on PBS. It was a terrific program, and the Paris audience seemed very enthusiastic.