This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall Season 2016- Koch Theater

Great reps! Especially happy on the return of Monotones I & II. I believe D&C was originally staged for POB, it got great reviews, I am surprised it can be staged for another company so soon.

If Lendorf and Hallberg can make it to the fall season, it'll be even more fantastic. I am doubtful on Hallberg but hopeful on Lendorf.

I doubt they will have more than 2 Prodigal casts. Siren must be a tall woman. Neither Copeland nor Boylston is tall enough for the role. Abrera and Part would be the appropriate size and height for the role. Maybe Devon.

http://www.abt.org/performances/groupsales_koch.asp

See attached. Prodigal Son, and lots of Ashton! Looks great.

I've never seen Daphnis and Chloe.

Herman as Prodigal please! And Stella as Siren, hopefully.

This is not Ashton's "Daphis and Chloe. Is this a new ballet of Millepied's ? Not known to me. Ashton's was amazing. Great score. As for the rest of the rep. a bit of a disappointment IMO. A bit of too much of Jessica Lang and I would say that for "Prodigal Son" also. There are a few ballets here with small casts. (not the Tharp, however). Well, in the positive corner, it does have a few ballets not usually seen anymore. We'll see.

As excited as I am to see Monotones and Symphonic Variations, the bulk of the season seems to be small cast ballets with not much for the corps and up and comers. Personally I think Prodigal Son a particularly poor choice in that it has wonderful roles for a male dancer and a tall woman, but that's it. I feel that ABT needs ballets in which a lot of dancers dance.

I hope I'm in town for this: the photos/reviews of the Millepied work were interesting, Lang has been getting rave reviews in England, and I've always wondered about Symphonic Variations.

I'll be curious to see the casting for this run. Lots of demands on male solo technique: Gorak will be dancing a lot. Also, with the possible exception of the Lang and the Millepied works, there don't seem to be any stage-y ensemble pieces like The Green Table or Rodeo with relatively unexposed demi-soloist opportunities for promising corps members: everything else only contains roles that are either technically or dramatically exposed. If a corps member does land, say, in Symphonic Variations, management must be quite serious about them.

As excited as I am to see Monotones and Symphonic Variations, the bulk of the season seems to be small cast ballets with not much for the corps and up and comers. Personally I think Prodigal Son a particularly poor choice in that it has wonderful roles for a male dancer and a tall woman, but that's it. I feel that ABT needs ballets in which a lot of dancers dance.

Great minds think alike...I was typing at exactly the same time.

Thanks for link to season....I have been wondering what the Fall would bring. The Tharp Brahms-Hayden Variations (which I have always wanted to see) employs a large cast and seems to have a number of featured dancers. Unfortunately, I am unlikely to make it to NY this fall but along with Symphonic Variations and Monotones, the Tharp would be a draw for me.

http://www.twylatharp.org/content/brahms-haydn-variations

Thanks for link to season....I have been wondering what the Fall would bring. The Tharp Brahms-Hayden Variations (which I have always wanted to see) employs a large cast and seems to have a number of featured dancers. Unfortunately, I am unlikely to make it to NY this fall but along with Symphonic Variations and Monotones, the Tharp would be a draw for me.

http://www.twylatharp.org/content/brahms-haydn-variations

It's a pity: Brahms-Hayden is a fun ride.

That said, I don't know whether its technical demands (or Tharp's stager) required it, but despite the number of roles (10 featured soloist and 4 demi-soloist parts), it wasn't used to introduce new contenders from the corps last autumn. The featured parts were cast almost exclusively with soloists and principals. (The corps members who did appear--Hoven, Baca, Royal, and Giangeruso--were already known quantities.)

That said, I don't know whether its technical demands (or Tharp's stager) required it, but despite the number of roles (10 featured soloist and 4 demi-soloist parts), it wasn't used to introduce new contenders from the corps last autumn. The featured parts were cast almost exclusively with soloists and principals. (The corps members who did appear--Hoven, Baca, Royal, and Giangeruso--were already known quantities.)

Personally, I would have preferred if they had done either the" Bach Partita" or " Upper Room". I find both of these ballets superior to the" Brahams-Hayden". Or if they had really chosen to be bold, they could have revived her "How Near Heaven". With an extraordinary score by Benjamin Britten, it would have been a perfect fit for the State Theater. I just find the B-H to be a bit more convoluted. Less focused. And it was done just last year. And didn't we just recently see "Prodigal" also? Is there no other Balanchine out there that would have given more people a chance to dance? "Allegro Brillante"? Or, I know this hasn't been done in forever but, possibly revive his "La Sonnombula".. I can picture either Sarah Lane or Stella in the sleepwalker role. I'm just saying..........

ABT hasn't done Prodigal in a very long time. You may be thinking of PNB, which did Prodigal on their visit to NYC last season. I can't recall if Herman did Prodigal during the last run. However, I recall that Simkin was one of the Prodigal's during the last run. All of the previous ABT Sirens have retired.

Interesting that NYCB will also be doing Prodigal during the Winter season after an absence from the NYCB rep of several years.

ABT hasn't done Prodigal in a very long time. You may be thinking of PNB, which did Prodigal on their visit to NYC last season. I can't recall if Herman did Prodigal during the last run. However, I recall that Simkin was one of the Prodigal's during the last run. All of the previous ABT Sirens have retired.

Interesting that NYCB will also be doing Prodigal during the Winter season after an absence from the NYCB rep of several years.

I think Cornejo danced Prodigal back in '09 with Michelle Wiles. Simkin had his debut that year too, with Dvorenko. I believe the other Siren that year was Kristi Boone (memorable).

Out of the current ABT roster, I'd most like to see Veronika Part in this role. No way I can see Copeland or Boylston there.

Do you know if Tharp was involved in casting?

I think Cornejo danced Prodigal back in '09 with Michelle Wiles. Simkin had his debut that year too, with Dvorenko. I believe the other Siren that year was Kristi Boone (memorable).

Out of the current ABT roster, I'd most like to see Veronika Part in this role. No way I can see Copeland or Boylston there.

I think Copeland might make a compelling Siren, except for size.

Agreed, Copeland & Boylston are too small. Part would make a great Siren, also Abrera and Murphy

I too remember Kristi Boone as the Siren! She was wonderful. Hope she is doing well in her new life. I always thought she was underused at ABT.

Agree about Kristi. She did have an injury after she got promoted to soloist, but yes, she was never used to her potential. If we have to have a "Prodigal", I'd like to see Deven Teuscher have a crack at the "Siren" role. I still wish there was more for the company to do, especially in "Prodigal". We wait much longer between Tudor ballets, so to do "Prodigal" again so soon (7 years) seems a bit odd. Besides, City Ballet does a very credible version; I'll wait until January.