This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall Season 2016- Koch Theater

1 hour ago, choriamb said:

None of the dancers are really in performance mode in these two Instagram clips, but you may find them interesting. (I don't admire Abrera in everything, but she and Gorak were mesmerizing in Monotones I when I saw it last fall. I didn't see Copeland in performance, but I think the latter half of that clip shows some of the stretch that you mention.)

and

Thank you for posting these clips.  (In theory I'm on Instagram, but in actuality...not so much.)

18 hours ago, Drew said:

Thank you for posting these clips.  (In theory I'm on Instagram, but in actuality...not so much.)

My pleasure.

Regarding Seo, I wonder if this was meant to stretch her a bit. Setting aside technical bobbles and stamina (which seem to be resolving), she's been most successful in roles that involve heavy interaction with other cast members. Ones that involve a lot of outward projection and intentionally-placed epaulment are her weak spot:  almost the exact opposite of the problem that a lot of "competition babies" face. (Earlier this year, I saw PNB rehearse the same ballerina in both Prodigal Son and the von Aroldingen role in Stravinsky Violin Concerto in quick succession and was struck by how much they required the same sort of projection, placement, and shadow-like male partner.)

I've never singled out Forster, but a lot of folks I respect like him. Is he one of those slow burners who takes longer to ease into roles? (In retrospect, I've only seen him in roles near the beginning of runs.)

Choriamb it's an interesting idea that Seo was given a role to stretch her a bit.  To me that is more a NYCB way of doing business then ABT.  I never think of ABT as a place that is particularly interested in developing a dancer.  Maybe I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, choriamb said:

I've never singled out Forster, but a lot of folks I respect like him. Is he one of those slow burners who takes longer to ease into roles? (In retrospect, I've only seen him in roles near the beginning of runs.)

Unfortunately, I don't see ABT often enough to be able to answer the question about Forster. (I come up to NY for short visits when budget and schedule permit.)  But I have twice been very pleasantly struck by his dancing during the Fall season, once dancing in something by Welsh that I did not otherwise care for and here again in Monotones. It's just a quality of movement that catches my eye. Hard to describe...maybe slightly sensual or at least weighty, yet graceful and fluid. I have also seen him dance roles like the High Brahmin in Bayadere, but haven't seen him in any choreography that would 'test' his chops for more traditional male leads. I do find myself curious about his development (or lack thereof) since I've enjoyed his dancing and he is tall which has to be a plus. I remember one fall season fans who saw him in Sylphides complained he came down rather heavily from jumps...I didn't see those performances, and I don't think he has even had that many opportunities in roles of that kind. Others who have seen him more over time or many times in one season may have other thoughts...

Edited by Drew
13 hours ago, Drew said:

Unfortunately, I don't see ABT often enough to be able to answer the question about Forster. (I come up to NY for short visits when budget and schedule permit.)  But I have twice been very pleasantly struck by his dancing during the Fall season, once dancing in something by Welsh that I did not otherwise care for and here again in Monotones. It's just a quality of movement that catches my eye. Hard to describe...maybe slightly sensual or at least weighty, yet graceful and fluid. I have also seen him dance roles like the High Brahmin in Bayadere, but haven't seen him in any choreography that would 'test' his chops for more traditional male leads. I do find myself curious about his development (or lack thereof) since I've enjoyed his dancing and he is tall which has to be a plus. I remember one fall season fans who saw him in Sylphides complained he came down rather heavily from jumps...I didn't see those performances, and I don't think he has even had that many opportunities in roles of that kind. Others who have seen him more over time or many times in one season may have other thoughts...

He was made a soloist only a year (and a few months) ago.

He doesn't particularly seem to have stalled to me. He hasn't yet taken on many principal roles, but his rep does include parts often danced by principals (the ballroom von rothbart for ex.)

I'd like to see more of him but I'm not despairing yet!

1 hour ago, aurora said:

He was made a soloist only a year (and a few months) ago.

He doesn't particularly seem to have stalled to me. He hasn't yet taken on many principal roles, but his rep does include parts often danced by principals (the ballroom von rothbart for ex.)

I'd like to see more of him but I'm not despairing yet!

Aahh...that's good to hear. And I can picture him as the ballroom Von Rothbart.

I saw the Oct 27th program and enjoyed Prodigal the most.  I have never seen it before but I found Part awkward and Simpkin dazzling, emotional and amazing.  Maybe I just don't like the Siren's choreography but it looked very odd to me and she did not seem comfortable. . .but I am clearly outvoted here (and not an expert by any stretch.) The closing scene where the son comes back and the father picks him up brought me to tears, so riveting. 

After Alastair's review I was expecting for the Ratmansky to blow me away.  I wish I had read Plato's works. I might have had more appreciation for it.