This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Roster in Review - 2016 Edition

I wouldn't blame him for leaving. He's a beautiful dancer with gorgeous line and good technique that has been languishing in the corp for years. They'd rather import dancers like Cirio (nothing against him but there is enough good dancers in the corp like Calvin wasting away Kevin could promote to soloist) instead of promoting Calvin.

Given the news that came out today about Blaine Hoven being promoted to soloist, I took a look at the ABT bios of Sterling Baca and Calvin Royal as they are the two who have received the most mention as potential promotional candidates. (I write this knowing full well that Baca is leaving at the end of the season.)

Baca:

ABT II -- joined 09/10

ABT corps (apprentice) -- joined 05/11

ABT corps -- 12/11

Summary: Less than a year in ABT II/Less than a year as an apprentice/4 1/2 years in ABT corps

Royal

ABT II -- joined in 12/07

ABT corps (apprentice) -- joined 10/10

ABT corps -- 04/11

Summary: Nearly 3 years in ABT II/Less than a year as an apprentice/Slightly over 5 years in ABT corps

As a point of comparison, it took Hoven nearly 13 years to make soloist.

Lily Wisdom is leaving the corps to start school at Columbia in the fall.

And, there's a bittersweet photo/caption for Baca wishing him well as he embarks for PA Ballet.

Also, note a few of the comments for Baca - a few folks were offended by Kaatsban's "merde" prompting explanations from them and another corps dancer. Obviously they didn't know what it meant but it still made me laugh. Never seen that before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH786aAghRE/?taken-by=abtofficial&hl=en

Besides Lily Wisdom and Sterling Bacca, the following corps dancers are no longer listed on ABT's website:

- Rachelle di Stasio

- Kenneth Easter

- Sarah Smith

- Raphael Spyker

According to Instagram, Sarah Smith is expecting a baby. Also, she was out for a few years due to injury. It's been quite a while since I've seen her on stage.

Per Kansas City Ballet website, Sarah Smith appears to be joining that Company.

This is a wonderful regional company, with a lot of energy, interesting rep, and a terrific artistic staff. Kristi Capps and Dmitry Trubchanov (who also happen to be married) were in Denver until last year. Dmitry was trained at the Vaganova school. We miss them both!

https://www.kcballet.org/company/artisticstaff/

Thanks goodness Calvin Royal is still listed! I didn't think he was leaving, but since he still didn't get promoted I thought you never know....

So nice to Blaine Hoven finally listed with the soloists. Though, I wish they'd have a new picture taken of him. His current one looks so outdated.

Apparently, David Hallberg is expected to return (hopefully).

My guess is that this is a different Sarah Smith, but I will check. The Sarah Smith in question is alive and well, living in NYC with her fabulous husband, two dogs and due with twins in October.

Sarah was seriously injured two years ago while dancing on tour with ABT. She rehabbed for a year and spent all last season on the injured list. She did comeback briefly but has taken maternity leave as far as I know.

I agree with vrsfanatic that it's most probably a different Sarah Smith who's joining the Kansas City Ballet.

I'm surprised that Melanie Hamrick is still listed. I wonder if she really will come back after the baby is born??? We'll see....

Any word on Semionova? Or Lendorf?

On 8/2/2016 at 2:53 PM, vrsfanatic said:

My guess is that this is a different Sarah Smith, but I will check. The Sarah Smith in question is alive and well, living in NYC with her fabulous husband, two dogs and due with twins in October.

Sarah was seriously injured two years ago while dancing on tour with ABT. She rehabbed for a year and spent all last season on the injured list. She did comeback briefly but has taken maternity leave as far as I know.

I think this mystery is solved. The Sarah Smith who just joined Kansas City Ballet is now using her middle name (Joan). Her bio, just posted, shows no previous connection with ABT: https://www.kcballet.org/dancer/sarah-smith/

1 hour ago, Emma said:

There seems to be a depressing theme this year: Rachelle di Stasio was told she grew too tall for ABT's corps.   http://energetiksblog.com.au/blog/2016/10/17/energetiks-talks-with-rachelle-di-stasio

I think this is different than the Pennsylvania Ballet case.  In that case a dancer in another country was courted by Corella.  She moved to the USA and become a principal in his company.  Then he "discovered" that she was too tall for the  rep and there was no one to partner her.   In Rachelle's case, she was a young, tall corps girl who had, was is described as, a "slight growth spirt" that brought her to 5 ft. 10 in.  That is very tall for a corps dancer.  She was probably on the edge of too tall when she was hired, and then an addition inch or so put her over that edge. She has to fit in with the corps and be partnered by corps men!  Lot's of girls aren't even given apprenticeships because they are too tall or too short.  I think the "shattering her dreams" theme is overly dramatic.