This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Swan Lake

Personally (a lot of people won't agree). Instead of hiring Kochetkova, Sarah Lane should have been promoted or been given more principal roles this year while looking at a promotion soon. Lane's been doing Theme & Variations, with distinction, for years (better than Boylston). IMO her first Sleeping Beauty should have gotten her promoted. She'd be perfect in Romeo and Juliet. Again, I know I am in a minority, but Lane drives me to buy a ticket in a way that Kochetkova just doesn't.

I agree with you completely.

I agree, too! I loved Lane's Aurora at the Kennedy Center this winter. I saw three casts, and she was by far the best.

(Cue shallow marketing-analysis mode:)

Regarding PeggyTulle's question, I think that a lot of the non-dance qualities that made Kochetkova buzz-worthy in SF are already supplied by other dancers at ABT.

Want a quirky downtown fashionista on Instagram? See Boylston. Want to follow an unknown, extremely young, cute soubrette who seems on the brink of a Cinderella-like career? See Trenary and Brandt.

As far as the stage is concerned, the two qualities that Kochetkova has that aren't already in supply at ABT are her technical assurance and attentiveness as a partner.

Then again, neither of these qualities should be sneezed at: no one makes Simkin and Cornejo look better. And from what I've seen, she's definitely deserved her position based on those performances.

(But buzz is a different matter.)

I totally agree about Sarah Lane! I go out of my way as well to see her perform. It's way past time for her to be an ABT principal but it seems she is being overlooked. Kochetkova's arrival hasn't helped Sarah's status I'm afraid. Stella's promotion was a long time coming so hope springs eternal.

(Cue shallow marketing-analysis mode:)

Regarding PeggyTulle's question, I think that a lot of the non-dance qualities that made Kochetkova buzz-worthy in SF are already supplied by other dancers at ABT.

Want a quirky downtown fashionista on Instagram? See Boylston. Want to follow an unknown, extremely young, cute soubrette who seems on the brink of a Cinderella-like career? See Trenary and Brandt.

As far as the stage is concerned, the two qualities that Kochetkova has that aren't already in supply at ABT are her technical assurance and attentiveness as a partner.

Then again, neither of these qualities should be sneezed at: no one makes Simkin and Cornejo look better. And from what I've seen, she's definitely deserved her position based on those performances.

(But buzz is a different matter.)

Agreed. I have only caught her a few times, but she I have enjoyed her performances.

Personally (a lot of people won't agree). Instead of hiring Kochetkova, Sarah Lane should have been promoted or been given more principal roles this year while looking at a promotion soon. Lane's been doing Theme & Variations, with distinction, for years (better than Boylston). IMO her first Sleeping Beauty should have gotten her promoted. She'd be perfect in Romeo and Juliet. Again, I know I am in a minority, but Lane drives me to buy a ticket in a way that Kochetkova just doesn't.

I agree about Sarah but I think the decision to bring Kochetkova in was at least partially driven by Cornejo. Just conjecture here, but she is the only ballerina I have ever seen him partner comfortably. Both Reyes and Lane were actually a bit too big for him. Reyes was very good at compensating for his partnering deficiencies but I have seen some very bad partnering from him when he's been paired with Lane. Kochetkova is shorter than either of then and considerably smaller (lighter) than either of them.

Despite my dislike of her dancing, Cornejo has never looked better than when partnered with Kochetkova, and he lifts her with ease.

I agree about Sarah but I think the decision to bring Kochetkova in was at least partially driven by Cornejo. Just conjecture here, but she is the only ballerina I have ever seen him partner comfortably. Both Reyes and Lane were actually a bit too big for him. Reyes was very good at compensating for his partnering deficiencies but I have seen some very bad partnering from him when he's been paired with Lane. Kochetkova is shorter than either of then and considerably smaller (lighter) than either of them.

Despite my dislike of her dancing, Cornejo has never looked better than when partnered with Kochetkova, and he lifts her with ease.

I think otherwise of Sarah's partnering with Cornejo as I recall seeing her last year in Le Spectre de la Rose with him, and thought they were wonderful together, although it wasn't a "full-length", nonetheless I felt they were the best of the couples for that :flowers:

I think otherwise of Sarah's partnering with Cornejo as I recall seeing her last year in Le Spectre de la Rose with him, and thought they were wonderful together, although it wasn't a "full-length", nonetheless I felt they were the best of the couples for that :flowers:

Agreed that they were lovely together in Spectre, but there are no overhead lifts in Spectre. That is also why they are ok together in Ratmansky's Beauty. It's a different story with things like T&V and basically anything that requires him to lift his partner or hold her overhead.

Agreed that they were lovely together in Spectre, but there are no overhead lifts in Spectre. That is also why they are ok together in Ratmansky's Beauty. It's a different story with things like T&V and basically anything that requires him to lift his partner or hold her overhead.

Agreed nysusan about the technical part, however, she still has the best "emotional" draw for me in all the roles I have seen her in, especially in Ratmansky's SB :flowers:

I think NYSusan is correct here, although it makes me a bit sad. As a great admirer of Sarah Lane (also my favorite Aurora last season and my favorite petit-allegro woman currently at ABT), I'm hoping she starts to develop a partnership with Joseph Gorak. They were partnered in Ratmansky's Tempest, and they were dynamite together in that pas de deux. I'm afraid Misty's ascension may have hurt Lane's chances as much as Kochetkova's appearance. If Lane and Gorak were cast together in Romeo and Juliet, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I think NYSusan is correct here, although it makes me a bit sad. As a great admirer of Sarah Lane (also my favorite Aurora last season and my favorite petit-allegro woman currently at ABT), I'm hoping she starts to develop a partnership with Joseph Gorak. They were partnered in Ratmansky's Tempest, and they were dynamite together in that pas de deux. I'm afraid Misty's ascension may have hurt Lane's chances as much as Kochetkova's appearance. If Lane and Gorak were cast together in Romeo and Juliet, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

If I remember correctly, Lane and Gorak were paired in Ratmansky's Nutcracker at BAM. Their first performance was a bit iffy (I think Gorak was recovering from an injury) but their second was really good. Gorak was just beginning to stand out in the corps at that time.

I remember Gorak and Lane in the Nutcracker. My friend was genuinly worried for Lane's safety whenever he did overhead lift. I'm afraid his partnering skill still hasn't improved much since then. I guess he will need a few more seasons to hone his skill to become a good partner. Stearns needed 5-6years to become reliable and even now he still makes me nervous at times (he almost dropped Murphy during a pas de deux in La fille and I was sitting close enough to see the moment of terror on Murphy's face)

(Herman was amazing. He is not the most romantic of leading men, but he definitely had the strongest technique of all the casts I saw.) Happy to report that Kochetkova has improved a lot as O/O since 2013. I'm glad I attended. I also thought that Sterling Baca was a very wonderful purple Rothbart, and Zhang was excellent in the pas de trois.

I really liked Cornejo and Kochetkova as well. I can't wait to see Sterling Baca in lead roles at the Pennsylvania Ballet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if Joseph Gorak can partner Misty Copeland effectively in Romeo and Juliet, he could handle Sarah Lane with no problem (as he did in The Tempest). Ratmansky's Nutcracker pas de deux has a few tricky lifts, and one of those overhead press lifts, if I remember correctly. I recall even magical Marcelo struggling with Veronika Part the first season they performed it.

I remember Gorak and Lane in the Nutcracker. My friend was genuinly worried for Lane's safety whenever he did overhead lift. I'm afraid his partnering skill still hasn't improved much since then. I guess he will need a few more seasons to hone his skill to become a good partner. Stearns needed 5-6years to become reliable and even now he still makes me nervous at times (he almost dropped Murphy during a pas de deux in La fille and I was sitting close enough to see the moment of terror on Murphy's face)

I'm guessing these were performances at BAM? I saw the first weekend at Segerstrom in December 2015 and Gorak bailed at literally the last minute. I had to look back at my postings, but he was scheduled to partner Boylston at the Friends dress rehearsal on opening day. We were kept outside 15-20 minutes before the scheduled starting time. The mimeographed program said we'd see Boylston and Gorak, but Gorak was gone and Stearns appeared in practice clothes (with everyone else in costume), with Ratmansky himself coaching them. Much speculation at the time (was Gorak injured? Was he spooked by the partnering? Was she spooked?) - but he performed lesser roles that run, so it didn't appear to be an injury, but he never did the lead that run.

I'm guessing these were performances at BAM? I saw the first weekend at Segerstrom in December 2015 and Gorak bailed at literally the last minute. I had to look back at my postings, but he was scheduled to partner Boylston at the Friends dress rehearsal on opening day. We were kept outside 15-20 minutes before the scheduled starting time. The mimeographed program said we'd see Boylston and Gorak, but Gorak was gone and Stearns appeared in practice clothes (with everyone else in costume), with Ratmansky himself coaching them. Much speculation at the time (was Gorak injured? Was he spooked by the partnering? Was she spooked?) - but he performed lesser roles that run, so it didn't appear to be an injury, but he never did the lead that run.

well since he had done the role before I don't imagine he was spooked by the partnering.

Had he done the partnering with Boylston at BAM? I don't know. It might be that Lane was easier to partner at BAM, even with the problems others here have noted.

Not that I recall, so that is a fair point, but surely they have partnered enough in class and would have rehearsed before they were even scheduled together.

Also it seems to me that although taller (a bit?) than Lane, Boylston is especially easy to partner--she is strong and has been well partnered by other guys who are not known to be especially strong partners (and who are actually short for her)--namely Simkin.

Also if Gorak can do the R&J lifts (with Misty), he isn't that poor a partner. I agree it is the part of his dancing that requires the most work (emotionally as well as physically) but...

A thought: did the other roles he did that run involve much partnering? Maybe it was a minor upper body injury which made him step out of that role but let him do the others?