This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Swan Lake

FINALLY...... I will get to see Veronika Part as O/O on Wednesday night, as this must be the first year in a long time that she wasn't relegated to a weekday matinee. Plus Gomes as Purple Rothbart (also a first for me) should make it quite an evening. Can't wait!

Will be looking forward to reading others reviews for the run as well!

Some current rehearsal footages:

L to R: Nicole Graniero (back from Washington Ballet to sub for corps who're out for maternity leave and injuries), Betsy McBride, Gemma Bond, Cassandra Trenary:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGfjVJWHG2L/?taken-by=isabellaboylston

Black swan pdd:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGdL2-qnVfO/?taken-by=gillianemurphy

When Odile invaded the golden cockerel nest:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGjzBtiSJUy/?taken-by=abtofficial

FINALLY...... I will get to see Veronika Part as O/O on Wednesday night, as this must be the first year in a long time that she wasn't relegated to a weekday matinee. Plus Gomes as Purple Rothbart (also a first for me) should make it quite an evening. Can't wait!

Will be looking forward to reading others reviews for the run as well!

Last year VP danced SL with Marcelo as Rothbart on a weekday evening, and I believe she's had evening performances for the past several years at least.

I agree that she's too often been relegated to Wed matinee performances, but I don't think that's been the case with SL as much as with other ballets. I have never been able to see her Kitri, because both years she danced the role she was given Wed matinees. But I believe I've seen every O/O she's done since 2008.

She is, in my opinion, one of the finest O/Os anywhere.

Some current rehearsal footages:

L to R: Nicole Graniero (back from Washington Ballet to sub for corps who're out for maternity leave and injuries), Betsy McBride, Gemma Bond, Cassandra Trenary:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGfjVJWHG2L/?taken-by=isabellaboylston

Black swan pdd:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGdL2-qnVfO/?taken-by=gillianemurphy

When Odile invaded the golden cockerel nest:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGjzBtiSJUy/?taken-by=abtofficial

The second instagram video made me laugh and laugh (very welcome on a day like today)

Murphy's technique was dazzling. Her fouettes in the third act were remarkable, with several triples and I think a quad- all while periodically changing her arm positions to an overhead swan flap. Amazing. She also held an unsupported balance for what seemed like an eternity- with NO WOBBLE. Gomes was an excellent partner and did a wonderful job with his solos. His miraculous leap off of the diving board to join Odette was spontaneously applauded because of its beauty and elan. It was one of the best nights at ABT this season, in my opinion. Cory doesn't have the personality to pull off Purple Rothbart. Also noteworthy was the excellent peasant pas, danced by Brandt, Lane and Gorak.

The auditorium was very full, at last!!

From the blooper reel: The fog machine in the last act seemed to be broken, because there was no fog and we just heard a loud PSSSSST sound from the machine. LOL. The other blooper is that Swampy Rothbart closed the door to the ballroom in Act III a little late, so that Marcelo had to bang on the doors to get out while they were still closing. I've seen this happen before but I always get a little laugh out of it.

Gomes was an excellent partner and did a wonderful job with his solos. His miraculous leap off of the diving board to join Odette was spontaneously applauded because of its beauty and elan.

So sorry I missed this performance. You can get a glimpse of that leap here:

Whee! That's quite a leap by Marcelo, even wilder than what I recall by Simkin a couple of years ago.

Well, Misty Copeland's moment of fouetté-redemption is almost here. Performance begins in just two hours. Fouettés occur sometime between 3:30-4:00 PM. Waiting for reports. :)

Macauley's recent article of the importance of those darn fouettés:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/arts/dance/swan-lake-and-its-32-fouettes.html

An essay on Copeland in the current issue of Ballet Review, author Robert Johnson suggests that perhaps she should go the route of Plisetskaya and replace the fouettés with pique turns around the stage.

http://balletreview.com/images/Ballet_Review_44-1_Misty_Copeland.pdf

What will Misty Copeland do? To fouetté or not to fouetté?-That is the question.

I hope she will do what any good Odile would do: something as sparkling and seductive as possible, whatever that might be.

Indeed. If it's the fouettés, then I witnessed a better set in DC with Washington Ballet - about 28, counting the early doubles. I was surprised that she did only 16 at the Met. She had done so much better two months earlier in DC. I hope that she can go-the-distance today, be it 32 fouettés or something else that dazzles.

I really loved Macaluley's comment about the fouettes being done in time to the music. Personally, I couldn't care less how many fouettes a dancer does. What I care most about is: Are they performed on time to the music? If a dancer is just trying to fit in 32 or close to that and is off time (and in poor form as they continue), I'm terribly disappointed. Macauley's point that Copeland performed her fewer number of fouettes completely in sync with the music as opposed to Murphy's many fouettes out of time is very well taken, in my opinion. If there's music, the dancing needs to be musical.

I agree with his point, however I think a comparison between actual performances would have been more appropriate than using a clip that was likely done "for fun". Though maybe his intention was merely having a visual example of any kind and not passing judgment.

I thought Veronika did 30...plus a double turn at the end that didn't come out clean. Maybe I was counting wrong. Her 32 fouettes were better executed when she danced Medora 2 weeks ago. I know she can pull it off when she's on... unlike Seo who never seems to go past 26-28.

Whether she did 28 or 30 turns I thought she was just exquisite especially in the white adagio. Her arms can speak themselves! I brought my non-ballet fan friend with me and even she said the same thing. Part did look a little tired after her Odile variation but she still didn't make any jarring mistakes. After seeing 4 performances in a row, I can say that Part is the best swan ABT has to offer at the moment.

Whiteside did his duty of supporting her really well. Other than those fudged turns in 1st Act he was technically fine. Marcelo's interpretation of von Rothbart has changed throughout the years and I think he really owns this role now. It's sad that he only performs the role once this year. I even prefer him as von Rothbart than Siegfried!

A friend who was at the matinee told me that Misty did 22 fouettes, but she traveled quite a bit off to the side (that is, towards the wing of the stage ).

This reminds me of a comment someone made about Danilova's fouettes: "every turn was an adventure."

I agree with his point, however I think a comparison between actual performances would have been more appropriate than using a clip that was likely done "for fun". Though maybe his intention was merely having a visual example of any kind and not passing judgment.

He might have used this clip instead, in which Murphy demonstrates that the variation can be executed with both musical sensitivity and technical brilliance. I especially like the way she times her triples to coincide with the galloping little da-da-yump-dum-dum in the music's "A" section and switches to single fouettés when the "B" section begins. Having one's heel hit the floor right on the beat every time is just table stakes as far as I'm concerned.

I pretty much loathe this variation, but Murphy makes one of the best cases for it that I've seen.

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that Veronika's performance last night was not as good as her past performances. I thought her back looked stiff. There used to be so many details where she used her supple spine to heighten the choreography that seemed to be missing last night. As an example, there is one section in Act II where Odette is leaning into her partner with her back facing the audience and her partner is holding her lower back. That should have been the spot where Odette curves her back into a deep bend. Uncharacteristically, Part just leaned her head back but her spine remained erect and still. There were many such compromises last night, I thought.

Gomes stole the show. Incredible. He oozes charisma from every cell of his body.

Added: Part had no chemistry w. Whiteside. I never thought I would say this, but I think she is more "simpatico" with Stearns.

Added: Part had no chemistry w. Whiteside. I never thought I would say this, but I think she is more "simpatico" with Stearns.

If Part had been paired with Stearns I would have gone to see her Swan Lake this season, but I could not bear the thought of seeing her dance with Whiteside, who, IMHO, does not dance at the standard of an ABT Principal.

If Part had been paired with Stearns I would have gone to see her Swan Lake this season, but I could not bear the thought of seeing her dance with Whiteside, who, IMHO, does not dance at the standard of an ABT Principal.

He was very good, but i know you don't like him.

If anyone wanted to see a truly below bar performance, Hammoudi the night before was it. Solos terrible.

Never commanded the stage or eye. The rest of the nobles were more captivating to the eye than the prince in the initial party...

The pas de deux were ok, but she seemed to be gutting her way through all of them.

He did die exceptionally well.