This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MCB Promotions 2016-2017

https://www.miamicityballet.org/press/miami-city-ballet-announces-company-roster-2016-17-season

Promotions:

Nathalia Arja - soloist to principal soloist

Chase Swatosh - corps to soloist

Shimon Ito - corps to soloist

New members:

Lauren Fadeley - joining as soloist from PAB

Amir Yogev - joining as corps dancer from PAB

Alaina Andersen - in the corps after 2 years as an apprentice

Luiz Silva - in the corps after 1 year as an apprentice

Yeepee for Nathalia Arja! I was hoping she would get promoted after the fantastic year she's had! :yahoo:

Dancers who have left the company are corps de ballet dancers Leigh-Ann Esty, Zoe Zien and Sarah McCahill, in addition to principals Jennifer Carlynn Kronenberg and Carlos Guerra.

I hate to see both Zien and Esty's departures. Zien had a "vintage" plasticity onstage that I found myself following...a certain delicacy and fragility. The Esty twins were such to watch together!... They always looked buoyant and happy as a pair, particularly in certain "mirror" roles, like Zulma/Moyna and the hat girls in Les Patineurs. I will truly miss them.

I hate to see both Zien and Esty's departures. Zien had a "vintage" plasticity onstage that I found myself following...a certain delicacy and fragility. The Esty twins were such to watch together!... They always looked buoyant and happy as a pair, particularly in certain "mirror" roles, like Zulma/Moyna and the hat girls in Les Patineurs. I will truly miss them.

Cristian, I agree with you totally about the Esty sisters. They were part of the family that extended into the audience, like the Delgado sisters. As I once wrote, I commented on them to a lady sitting next to me at a West Palm Beach performance and she said, “Oh yes, the Twins!” I remember them several times in Twyla Tharp’s “In The Upper Room” when they would intricately Blast(!) across the stage as a pair. It took my breath away ! And I’ve seen them do the same other times as well. I remember Edward (Villella) coaching Leigh-Ann to do this at an open rehearsal in Paris. He looked like a proud and happy father. They are indeed Loveable.

And for the 'thousandth' time, I'll say it again. I hope that the Miami City Ballet holds onto and fosters as much of this sort of warmth and lovability as possible.

Sara, I believe, is still the understudy for the lead in “An American in Paris,” which is on Broadway. When the show goes on the road she may get a lead. Leigh-Ann Esty posts her photography on the internet, so maybe she’ll devote herself to that.

Ive never seen Zoe Zien. There’s certainly a place at MCB for “delicacy and fragility” to contrast the remarkable high energy aspect of the company.

On 16 May 2016 at 2:41 PM, cubanmiamiboy said:

As posted by dirac, Sara Esty will perform the lead role of Lise Dassin and Leigh-Ann Esty will be her alternate in the “An American in Paris” touring company. Great news !

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/an-american-in-paris-announces-touring-cast_78051.html

[spelling correction made]

Edited by Buddy

In episode 20 of her podcast, "Rediscovering the Dream," Lauren Fadeley said that Evelyn Hart, a most lauded Giselle, was in Miami to coach dancers in MCB's production of the ballet. Fadeley has been chosen for Myrtha, but is also working on Giselle.  She describes Hart working with the company on all of the roles in Act II and about how Hart has backstories for all of the characters.

Fadeley is also reading Violette Verdy's book on "Giselle."  Verdy was Fadeley's teacher at Indiana University, between NYCB and Pennsylvania Ballet.