This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've been looking around for video of the cantina/espresso bar sequence and "rumble" sequence in the obscure film Pepe [1960 film starring Mario Moreno ("Cantinflas") and Shirley Jones]. Shirley Jones 'dances' in this sequence, and there's some interesting fight choreography à la West Side Story, which you can see here:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/669247/Pepe-Movie-Clip-The-Rumble.html

Has anyone else seen this film, and found any decent footage from it online?

I love the set designs of this era. The cantina sequence just before this rumble scene features Bobby Darin, who sings, and there are many other Hollywood actor cameos in this film.

Pherank, I can't help with your question but I do have a vague memory of seeing this movie as an almost teen. It llooks like Mickey Callan as the shorter male dancer in the rumble. I always thought he was cute in the various movies he was in during the 60s and was surprised to learn later that he started out as a dancer. At first I thought the tall male dancer looked like Tucker Smith (Ice in West Side Story) but I don't think I'm right about that one.

Pherank, I can't help with your question but I do have a vague memory of seeing this movie as an almost teen. It llooks like Mickey Callan as the shorter male dancer in the rumble. I always thought he was cute in the various movies he was in during the 60s and was surprised to learn later that he started out as a dancer. At first I thought the tall male dancer looked like Tucker Smith (Ice in West Side Story) but I don't think I'm right about that one.

Thanks for that information, Barbara. According to the IMDb listing the choreographers were Eugene Loring and Alex Romero.

The Wikipedia entry mentions -

The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards:[5]

Best Art Direction (Ted Haworth, William Kiernan)

Best Cinematography (Joseph MacDonald)

Best Costume Design (Edith Head)

Film Editing (Viola Lawrence, Al Clark)

Best Original Song ("Faraway Part of Town")

Best Scoring

Best Sound (Charles Rice)

There's often a great deal of complaining going on in contemporary film life that all we see are sequels, but looking at the this reminds me how much emulation there was in previous times as well -- there are multiple quotations going on, just in these clips!

Thanks for the links. The cameo laden Pepe seems to have successfully ended Cantinflas's movie career in the US. Perhaps more interesting now than it did when it came out ( – as a mosaic of clips, like Christian Marclay's The Clock?).

There's also some good scenes from More the Merrier with Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea – especially the one about navigating about the small apartment, also the brief tar beach panorama.

Thanks for the links. The cameo laden Pepe seems to have successfully ended Cantinflas's movie career in the US. Perhaps more interesting now than it did when it came out ( – as a mosaic of clips, like Christian Marclay's The Clock?).

Oooh, hadn't made that connection!