This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

16 October - Grigorovich/Shostakovich: The Golden Age

6 November - Ratmansky/Shostakovich: The Bright Stream (repeat)

18 December - Grigorovich/Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker (repeat)

22 January - Grigorovich, after Petipa/Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty

5 February - Grigorovich, after Petipa, Ivanov/Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake (repeat)

19 March - Van Manen/Britten: Frank Bridge Variations; León, Lightfoot/Richter, Beethoven: Short Time Together; Ratmansky/Desyatnikov: Russian Seasons; Robbins/Stravinsky: The Cage; Lander/Czerny: Etudes

9 April - Possokhov/Demutsky: A Hero of Our Time

http://www.pathelive.com/international

Edited by volcanohunter
edited to reflect changed program

It's a wonderful performance of The Bright Stream, so I would also be happy to re-visit it on the big screen,especially since the first time I saw it the movie theater got the aspect ratio wrong, and everyone was stretched out sideways. (Good thing Svetlana Lunkina is so slender!) I'm with you on the rest, too, although I'm not even sure about the mixed bill. There is an excellent film of the Dutch National Ballet performing Frank Bridge Variations out on DVD, and I doubt the Bolshoi could match it.

It's a wonderful performance of The Bright Stream, so I would also be happy to re-visit it on the big screen,especially since the first time I saw it the movie theater got the aspect ratio wrong, and everyone was stretched out sideways. (Good thing Svetlana Lunkina is so slender!) I'm with you on the rest, too, although I'm not even sure about the mixed bill. There is an excellent film of the Dutch National Ballet performing Frank Bridge Variations out on DVD, and I doubt the Bolshoi could match it.

Don't forget Russian Seasons in the mixed bill, a wonderful, wonderful work. For me it will definitely be worth sitting through Frank Bridge Variations (which I agree is not really Bolshoi's cup of tea) to see Russian Seasons. I'm also looking forward to seeing the Golden Age and the Bright Stream. Sleeping Beauty? Yes, if Obratsova is Aurora, otherwise maybe not.

For me this seems like a good 'season.' I'm especially curious about the Possokhov Hero of Our Time. I saw Golden Age many years ago--with Semenyaka. You can bet I wasn't complaining. But I have few memories of it now. I will definitely try to see that broadcast too. And probably at least one or two others.

Don't forget Russian Seasons in the mixed bill, a wonderful, wonderful work. For me it will definitely be worth sitting through Frank Bridge Variations (which I agree is not really Bolshoi's cup of tea) to see Russian Seasons. I'm also looking forward to seeing the Golden Age and the Bright Stream. Sleeping Beauty? Yes, if Obratsova is Aurora, otherwise maybe not.

I could definitely be convinced to see some Grigorivich if we get Obratsova dancing the lead. I just don't wan to sit through a bunch of Zakharova.

I will also be seeing Russian Seasons at NYCB next year, but I still want to support the mixed bill (and I haven't seen the other two works). It's nice to see Boshoi scheduling the mixed bill in the middle of all those 3 act story ballets. :flowers:

Little bit disappointed! I would love to see Paquita and La Bayadere (again). For The Bright Stream, why couldn't they change the casting? Maybe, having Svetlana Lunkina, The Bright Stream could attract more north American audiences?

• Grigorovich/Shostakovich: The Golden Age
  • Van Manen/Britten: Frank Bridge Variations; León, Lightfoot/Richter, Beethoven: Short Time Together; Ratmansky/Desyatnikov: Russian Seasons
  • Possokhov/Demutsky: A Hero for Our Time

I love to see these modern ballets! From watching The Golden Age on YouTube, I like it very much, especially the four duets by Rita and Boris, very expressive and emotional duets. Plus, Shostakovich's music is fantastic!
Who would dance Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty this time? Very interesting! ABT should have broadcasted Ratmansky's new S.B. to compete.

:yahoo:

Little bit disappointed! I would love to see Paquita and La Bayadere (again). For The Bright Stream, why couldn't they change the casting? Maybe, having Svetlana Lunkina, The Bright Stream could attract more north American audiences?

This is a re-broadcast, if I understand it correctly -- they are not generating another performance. I thoroughly enjoyed Bright Stream when I saw the broadcast a few years ago, and would be very happy to see it again.

Who would dance Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty this time? Very interesting! ABT should have broadcasted Ratmansky's new S.B. to compete.

:yahoo:

ABT doesn't seem to be doing any of these remote cinema projects yet.

Yes, Obratsova as Rita, Krysanova as Lyuska!!

:flowers:

So far there has been very little indication that Grigorovich is interested in Obraztsova. For example she has never danced Legend of Love at the Bolshoi, even though it was a ballet she had danced at the Mariinsky. Nikulina is the likelier candidate. She has danced Lyuska in the past, but more recently she has also performed the Rita-Boris duets.

I honestly don't think the Bolshoi could improve on the film of The Bright Stream it made in 2012. Sadly, Lunkina is now gone, and time and injury have cost Alexandrova quite a bit of her elevation, so her lezginka wouldn't be what it was a few years ago.

As it happens, the Bolshoi's Sleeping Beauty in January will get competition from the Royal Ballet's production in February. That's already over-saturation. At least with the competing Giselles this season the performances took place about six months apart.

Frankly, I am astonished at the re-broadcast of Swan Lake, which is already available on DVD.

So far there has been very little indication that Grigorovich is interested in Obraztsova. For example she has never danced Legend of Love at the Bolshoi, even though it was a ballet she had danced at the Mariinsky. Nikulina is the likelier candidate. She has danced Lyuska in the past, but more recently she has also performed the Rita-Boris duets.

I honestly don't think the Bolshoi could improve on the film of The Bright Stream it made in 2012. Sadly, Lunkina is now gone, and time and injury have cost Alexandrova quite a bit of her elevation, so her lezginka wouldn't be what it was a few years ago.

As it happens, the Bolshoi's Sleeping Beauty in January will get competition from the Royal Ballet's production in February. That's already over-saturation. At least with the competing Giselles this season the performances took place about six months apart.

Frankly, I am astonished at the re-broadcast of Swan Lake, which is already available on DVD.

I'm ITA with you. I'd rather see the Royal's "Beauty," than Grigorovich's 1973, mach speed, two act, glam-glitz edit. As for Obraztsova, I too would love to see her Aurora again. However, it seems to me that some virtual oil of vitriol has splashed on her career there.

It's Swan Lake, and they're Russians.

And no doubt some people will gladly pay full price to look at Zakharova's legs magnified on a big screen. But for a family, heck, for a couple, it would be cheaper to rent or even buy the DVD of the exact same performance and watch it at home.

I'd rather see the Royal's "Beauty," than Grigorovich's 1973, mach speed, two act, glam-glitz edit.

Yup. The way Grigorovich butchers the score it appalling.

I'm ITA with you. I'd rather see the Royal's "Beauty," than Grigorovich's 1973, mach speed, two act, glam-glitz edit. As for Obraztsova, I too would love to see her Aurora again. However, it seems to me that some virtual oil of vitriol has splashed on her career there.

Based on instagram photos on Obraztsova's account, it appears that she is pregnant so I doubt she will be on stage in the beginning of the cinema season. Also, Pathe Live/Bolshoi Ballet in Cinema just released the season trailer! I love the tango scene from Golden Age, it has such beautiful music from Shostakovich.

Casting for The golden Age on Oct. 16th, 2016 has been published.

16 October 2016

Rita, a young girl, who appears under the name of Mademoiselle Margot,

in a variety show at The Golden Age Restaurant

Nina Kaptsova

Boris, a young fisherman, who is also an actorwith the agit-prop theatre

for working youths

Ruslan Skvortsov

Yashka, Leader of a local gang of bandits; he is also Monsieur Jacques –

Rita’s partner

Mikhail Lobukhin

Lyuska, friend and accomplice to Jacques

Ekaterina Krysanova

Variety show compere at The Golden Age Restaurant

Vyacheslav Lopatin

Young fishermen, who also take part in the performancesof the agitprop

theatre for working youths

Alexei Matrakhov
Egor Sharkov

23 minutes ago, sandik said:

Thanks so much for the help -- when you search the Pathe site, these locations don't show up.  Where did you find these?

I found the information from Fathom Events site:
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/bolshoi-the-golden-age

Click the orange button [Buy Tickets] and input your zip code.

Then you see the movie theaters marketed with orange location-icons.

Those are the theaters where you can see the ballet on screen.

:clapping: