This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nedvigin's 1st press conference

Drew

Well, Atlanta Ballet will dance its first Balanchine in some years next season--Allegro Brillante (hurrah!). The season also includes Possokhov (Firebird) and....Petipa!! The latter very sensibly not a full-length work but excerpts from Paquita that new director Gennadi Nedvigin will stage himself. Generally, programs will be a mix of things danced by the company under McFall and programs put together by Nedvigin. The latter will include, too, a premier by ABT's Gemma Bond.

(The link below is to a different piece from Arts Atlanta than the one I found posted in links -- I was unable to post it there, so I'm putting it here:)

http://www.artsatl.com/2016/04/news-atlanta-ballet-2016-17-season-introduces-taste-vision-artistic-director-gennadi-nedvigin/

Very intrigued by the new season and the future of the company. Of course, between the cup and the lip...but wishing Nedvigin and the company great success.

It looks like a juicy season -- let us know what you think as it unfolds.

This makes me wonder a bit, though:

"In February, the company will re-stage choreographer David Bintley’s Carmina Burana, which made its North American debut in Atlanta in 2013. The show was one of Atlanta Ballet’s most memorable productions in recent years; ArtsATL’s Cynthia Bond Perry lauded the piece for its “sense of classical purity and restraint.”"

I don't think I've ever seen a Carmina that was particularly "restrained!"

I enjoyed the Bintley Carmena Burana (live music too--from GA State chorus) and, though I don't remember the ballet in detail, I remember it had some allusive jokes to classical tradition and I think was generally in a (neo)classical vein -- but I'm not sure I would have worded it the way Perry did. (One of the jokes is a medieval feast in which they 'eat' the swan-ballerina.)

On 4/21/2016 at 7:57 PM, Drew said:

Very intrigued by the new season and the future of the company. Of course, between the cup and the lip...but wishing Nedvigin and the company great success.

I'd love to hear how the Gennadi's Choice performances go, and about the Firebird performances (that has been an audience favorite in San Francisco). Possokhov's version of The Firebird has a lot of humor in it.

We have tickets for the Saturday afternoon "Gennadi's Choice" program in a week, and also plan to see Firebird. Actually, this is the first season of Atlanta Ballet since I moved here over a decade ago where I am trying to see every program--have even been to see Nutcracker which I usually take a pass on. (Last month went to see the Bintley Carmina Burana which Atlanta Ballet first did a couple of years ago.) 

I did recently notice on my flier for the season that though the company mentions live music for almost every program--and there was live music for both Nutcracker and Carmina Burana--the flier doesn't say anything about live music for the "Gennadi's Choice" program which makes me suspect that that program will use recorded music.That's a bummer but I do understand the financial exigencies. When Nedvigin staged Possokhov's Classical Symphony for Atlanta Ballet (and very successfully I thought), the music was recorded.

Here he is talking about the Pacquita staging:

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

We have tickets for the Saturday afternoon "Gennadi's Choice" program in a week, and also plan to see Firebird. Actually, this is the first season of Atlanta Ballet since I moved here over a decade ago where I am trying to see every program--have even been to see Nutcracker which I usually take a pass on. (Last month went to see the Bintley Carmina Burana which Atlanta Ballet first did a couple of years ago.) 

I did recently notice on my flier for the season that though the company mentions live music for almost every program--and there was live music for both Nutcracker and Carmina Burana--the flier doesn't say anything about live music for the "Gennadi's Choice" program which makes me suspect that that program will use recorded music.That's a bummer but I do understand the financial exigencies. When Nedvigin staged Possokhov's Classical Symphony for Atlanta Ballet (and very successfully I thought), the music was recorded.

I enjoyed the video - thanks Drew. Gennadi comes off well.

"Canned" music is definitely a bummer, but the costs for an orchestra are prohibitive for smaller companies. So I guess they need to pick and choose. Firebird has to be performed with a live, good quality orchestra or it just sounds sad. Kind of ruins the whole effect.

Big publicity push this week for upcoming "Gennadi's Choice" program that is being billed as a way to introduce him to Atlanta.  I thought this interview was terrific:

http://www.dance-enthusiast.com/features/view/TDE-Asks-Atlanta-Ballet-Artistic-Director-Gennadi-Nedvigin-Company-Prepares-Gennadi-Choice-Program#.WMmcsyzUwro.twitter

He says, among many other things, that the commission for Gemma Bond is her first commission from a professional ballet company... and makes clear he wants to maintain a range of repertory -- with the classics as an important baseline (my word, not his--he expresses himself very well!).

Edited by Drew
19 hours ago, Drew said:

Big publicity push this week for upcoming "Gennadi's Choice" program that is being billed as a way to introduce him to Atlanta.  I thought this interview was terrific:

http://www.dance-enthusiast.com/features/view/TDE-Asks-Atlanta-Ballet-Artistic-Director-Gennadi-Nedvigin-Company-Prepares-Gennadi-Choice-Program#.WMmcsyzUwro.twitter

He says, among many other things, that the commission for Gemma Bond is her first commission from a professional ballet company... and makes clear he wants to maintain a range of repertory -- with the classics as an important baseline (my word, not his--he expresses himself very well!).

I winced a bit when he mentioned, "her first commission from a professional ballet company." I guess New York Theatre Ballet doesn't count as a professional ballet company:

http://nytb.org/about-nytb/company-bios/Gemma-Bond/

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

I winced a bit when he mentioned, "her first commission from a professional ballet company." I guess New York Theatre Ballet doesn't count as a professional ballet company:

http://nytb.org/about-nytb/company-bios/Gemma-Bond/

Oh dear...but a mistake I assume, not a slight. Otherwise I'd have said that he hasn't been putting a foot wrong during this big publicity push.

Edited by Drew

He's definitely aware that she had created a number of previous works. He seems to be implying something else, though, by his use of the term "commission". Was Bond not paid for those previous works?

Myles Thatcher, at SFB, has created a number of short pieces that are used in the student showcases (and he created a contemporary piece for use by Greco and Sheehan in the Erik Bruhn competition), but I don't know if there's any payment for these efforts - just credit.