This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2016-2017 season announced

Spartacus will be the weird micro-trend of 2016-17 -- the Bayerisches Staatsballett is performing it next season as well. Did someone conduct a focus group of European audiences and determine that there was pent-up demand for Spartacus?

The Twin Towers illustration is in the worst possible taste.

For his first season (2015-16), Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui split the difference between classical and contemporary. But, based on the announced repertory, it looks he's given up on maintaining the pretense. It's a modern/postmodern/contemporary company now.

For his first season (2015-16), Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui split the difference between classical and contemporary. But, based on the announced repertory, it looks he's given up on maintaining the pretense. It's a modern/postmodern/contemporary company now.

Could you tell me how they are supposed to dance Spartacus without a strong - very strong! - classical technique?!

Could you tell me how they are supposed to dance Spartacus without a strong - very strong! - classical technique?!

That's a question best posed to Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. He obviously thinks he can program an aggressively contemporary season, which is less dependent on a strong classical technique, but then present a piece that does require such technique. That's a difficult chasm to bridge especially if your most classically-minded dancers, looking at all the non-classical pieces programmed for 2016-17, decamp to greener classical pastures. We'll see, I guess.

I wonder if Drew Jacoby is going to continue dancing with this company. I think of her as more of a freelance dancer but maybe she's found a home with the Royal Ballet.

I didn't know Drew Jacoby had left NDT. I don't think she was cast very often there. Or did she simply miss dancing on pointe?