This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Remembering Fonteyn & Nureyev

SFCleo

On the roof, officers found Nureyev hiding behind a fence and Fonteyn, in a full-length mink coat, crouching on an adjacent roof with four others.

"The Great Haight Ballet Bust of 1967" http://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake/article/The-great-Haight-ballet-bust-of-1967-7230386.php

This is a much more complete account of this famous escapade than I heard at the time as a UC Berkeley student. I do remember being surprised that this elegant ballerina had such an adventurous side to her.

Aw, shucks! I cannot access this as I have no account and am not a subscriber to the paper.

Could you paraphrase it at all?

After a ballet performance in which Fonteyn and Nureyev were performing in Tokyo in the early sixties, my parents, who had been very impressed by their first ballet, had a chance to meet both of them afterwards. This heightened their sense of awe regarding ballet dancers.

-d-

Aw, shucks! I cannot access this as I have no account and am not a subscriber to the paper.

Could you paraphrase it at all?

I will try to find some time to paraphrase but try this first if you are on Facebook. Sign in to Facebook, then search FB for "Fonteyn Nureyev San Francisco" and the article link will come up. Follow that to the Chronicle site and you will be able to see the article, having come from FB. I just tried and it worked, so hopefully it will for you.