This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nini Theilade

Tom47

From what I have read, Nini Theilade was born in Poerwokerto, Banjoemas, Dutch East Indies (now in Indonesia) on June 15, 1915 [from IMDb]. I believe that for the most part she lived, studied and worked in Europe, in particular Demark. I first saw her on film in the 1935 movie "A Midsummer Night's Dream" where she danced and acted the role of the fairie attending Titania. I also believe that she choreographed the dance scenes which I find to be enchanting. She then danced for the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. I recently read a mini biography which stated that "Nini Theilade lives in Demark where she teaches at a university dance department." If she is still alive she would be 101 years old this June 15th. I would like very much to send her a congratulatory "fan" note.

Tom,

Helene, thanks for replying. The mini biography I mentioned was just a paragraph for a 2005 film "Ballets Russes." I briefly looked for a way to contact someone, but couldn't find any - the same for the IMBd information. About 9 months ago I found a Vimeo video which seems to have been connected with Nini and I left a comment, but did not receive any response, so I don't know what happened. Since I last posted here I found a webpage that was published on June 15, 2015. It seems to state (it is a translation from Danish) that Nini made it to her 100th birthday "And were it not for an unfortunate fall in 2013, she had still been sitting in front of young aspiring dancers and pounded his (sic) cane on the floor when she thought they made an effort." It also indicates that she was living in a "small nursing home" at that time. the article was written by Charlotte Nielsen so maybe my best bet is to try and contact her.

I would also like to communicate with anyone who is knows about Nini Theilade.

Tom,

I thought you meant this bio originally published in Danish and translated by her son to English. It's an ebook, and appears to be about 30 pages:

http://ninitheilade.com/

The sales page for the Danish version lists the publisher as "Art People/People's Press"

https://riidr.com/forlag/artpeoplepeoplespress/

Link to the Danish version:

https://riidr.com/ebog/nini-theilade_nini-theilade/

It was an "As told to" book, and the writer was Lone Kulhmann

https://riidr.com/forfatter/lone-kuhlmann/

There's a Support email, and it's possible if you write to them, they might be able to put you in touch with Ms. Kulhmann:

support@riidr.com

Helene I was able to download the book "Dance Was Worth It All" which was the story of her life. It is very interesting and I have been reading it all day. Thank you again for the reference.

Sandik thank you for responding.

Tom,

Theilade is quoted in a short article in the current issue Dance International (summer 2016) concerning working with Salvatore Dali: "DALI DESIGNS BACCHANALE - A look back at 'the first paranoiac ballet'" by Karen Barr.

In every online encyclopedia I could find (including two Danish ones) she is still listed as living. One of the Danish newspapers did a HUGE article about her on her 100th birthday, and there are at least two interviews with her (in 2011 and 2012) on youtube.

f.y.i. the current issue of DANCE INTERNATIONAL (Fall 2016) includes a sidebar about Theilade's 101st birthday, on June 15, on the page of a report from Copenhagen (by Anne-Marie Elmby).

this is the youtube clip mentioned in the sidebar:

RG and Karen, thank you for the videos you posted.  I am happy that Nini celebrated her 101st birthday – Wow!  RG I have not been to find the Dance International articles either the Summer 2016 or the Fall 2016 ones.  Can you link to them or does one have to subscribe.

Tom,

RG, I found a website for DI and while it I couldn't find the articles about Nini it did have articles that I would be interested in so thank you.

Josette, I read the book "Dance Was Worth It All" the story of Nini Theilade's life. It was very interesting particularly the parts about dancing.

Tom,