This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Little Humpbacked Horse Kennedy Center 1/31 - 2/5/17

15 hours ago, Kaysta said:

I'm sure I'll love Shakirova, but it sometimes feels like the KC gets the short end of the stick when it comes to KC casting.

Both last year and this year.

I ended up enjoying last year's Raymonda casts hugely (meh male leads notwithstanding) but I tend to agree. There is not a doubt in my mind the Mariinsky would approach New York differently.

That said, surely Shklyarov is as good as it gets as Ivan the Fool. And it's a major role--pretty much the star role of the ballet. I've only seen him in an excerpt, with Lopatkina at BAM, but it was by far the most wonderful thing I've seen him do live or on video. And it was wonderful.

And judging by reports from fans and critics -- when he did the whole ballet in NY a few years back he was a sensation. (You can find the thread on Ballettalk.) As it turns out (I hadn't expected to feel this way), I'm pretty bummed I'm not going to get to see this.

Edited by Drew
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:00 AM, Mashinka said:

Casting looks terrific to me, I can't see the problem.

Hoped for Shirinkina with Shklyarov- I see online that they now do Spartacus-Phrygia on pointe.  Decades ago I saw the Grigorovich pas de deux with Bessmertnova.  I wish the KC would have a mixed bill Maryiinsky for some shows like the BAM last year which I did not see.  When the Kirov first came to the USA in the eighties they did full length plus mixed bills. 

Edited by maps

It's discount time!!!

The Kennedy Center is offering tickets at the special price of $39 for all remaining orchestra seats for the performance of Mariinsky Ballet: The Little Humpbacked Horse in the Opera House on Tuesday, January 31 at 7:30 PM, Wednesday, February 1 at 7:30 PM, and Thursday, February 2 at 7:30 PM. Tickets are regularly as high as $119.

You can click the link below and your discount will appear automatically. If you call or stop by the Box Office for the discount, be sure to mention Offer Number "249916” See you at the Kennedy Center!

Mariinsky Ballet: The Little Humpbacked Horse

Timing: Act One - 47 min.; Intermission - 20 min.; Act Two - 57 min.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRINCIPAL CASTING     (subject to change)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tue., Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m.

Ivan the Fool: Vladimir Shklyarov

The Tsar-Maiden: Anastasia Matvienko

The Little Humpbacked Horse: Yaroslav Baibordin

Gentleman of the Bedchamber: Yuri Smekalov

The Tsar: Dmitry Pykhachov

The Young Mare: Zlata Yalinich

Horses: Alexander Romanchikov, Alexander Beloborodov

Wed., Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.

Ivan the Fool: Ernest Latypov

The Tsar-Maiden: Renata Shakirova

The Little Humpbacked Horse: Grigory Popov

Gentleman of the Bedchamber: Konstantin Zverev

The Tsar: Vasily Shcherbakov

The Young Mare: Tatiana Tkachenko

Horses: Andrei Solovyov, Yevgeny Deryabin

Thu., Feb. 2 at 7:30 p.m.

Ivan the Fool: Maxim Zyuzin

The Tsar-Maiden: Anastasia Kolegova

The Little Humpbacked Horse: Vladislav Shumakov

Gentleman of the Bedchamber: Yuri Smekalov

The Tsar: Dmitry Pykhachov

The Young Mare: Zlata Yalinich

Horses: Alexander Romanchikov, Alexander Beloborodov

TO RECEIVE YOUR DISCOUNT BY PHONE OR IN PERSON AT THE BOX OFFICE, MENTION OFFER NUMBER 244295

(202) 467-4600 | Toll-free (800) 444-1324 TTY (202) 416-8524 | Groups (202) 416-8400

I love the choreography and the performances were brilliant. Some costumes...The minimalist sets and lack of background action leave the Tsar Maiden exposed in a challenging role with a lack of visual distraction [ continuous Balanchinesque movement].  Vaganova epaulment adds another dimension to performances for me. 

A Kultur DVD of Plisetskaya/Vasiliev LHBH is for sale in the lobby-online it's a grand production including 31 fouettes /32nd a double or triple.  Ratmansky LHBH is a happy production of a favorite childhood fairy tale.  Each show had applause throughout and bravos with standing ovations.  Some cheers when Ivan pops out of the tank.  Awakes the inner child.

A review http://freebeacon.com/culture/romp-kennedy-center/  includes excerpts of the Seussian quality  to the program libretto  as well as descriptors of choreography.  The Cat in the Hat echoes in the swarmy Gentleman of the Bedchamber. 

I wish the Mariinsky's next Kennedy Center visit would be Bronze Horseman, the new Pacquita, Sleeping Beauty, or Balanchine's Midsummers Nights Dream.  Fatayev on the Kennedy Center productions: https://sputniknews.com/art_living/201702011050221919-mariinsky-ballet-washington/

Edited by maps
+content

I think it's an absolutely delightful ballet -- my first time seeing it -- and I'd for sure go again. Seated in Orchestra N for last night's performance (Latypov, Popov, Shakirova). I don't come from a background of growing up knowing this fairy tale but within minutes I felt like I did. it's funny and emotional (e.g., Ivan laying down, his head propped on his hand, staring up at that huge orangey moon). As far as the dancing, jeez, to my untrained eye it's all spectacular. The cast deserved the strong applause it received.

Thanks for those writing about their reactions to LHH.

I would race up to D.C. for multiple performances of either a full-length Paquita or Sleeping Beauty. I own I'm curious about the Bronze Horseman, but still would probably most enjoy one of the grand nineteenth-century spectacles.

I got to see the Wed. and Fri. performances.  The only comment I'm going to add is about casting.  After seeing Shklyarov and Latypov, I think the Mariinsky management seriously goofed by sending only one principal dancer.  They overestimated the appeal of the company as box office draw without the charisma of their star dancers.  Even if you didn't know Shklyarov was a principal, you would have felt drawn into his world.  His adventures seemed real and and ridiculous and consequential. 

Of course there are wonderful dancers at all levels of the company.  In the internet age, with our access to reviews and articles from around the world that our smartphones can translate for us and videos, the ballet fanatics can make an informed choice about matching casting to their tastes and casual fans have a sense of which dancers have the "it factor" that will tempt them to purchase tickets.

Minus the selection of repertory that draws or dancers that entice both devotees and dilettantes, there will be empty seats in the theater, even for the glorious Mariinsky.

I saw opening night, and loved it. I usually enjoy Ratmansky's ballets, and I thought this one was very...original, even for him. and full of zest and high spirits. And the dancers were fabulous!

I did a lecture on this ballet at the Kennedy Center Saturday, and asked how many people had seen it and if they liked it, and at least 80% of them (looking at the raised hands) did. I was a bit surprised, as the opening night audience was fairly quiet, until the final scene.