This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

And then I worked out..

I love it!

Thanks for the run-down of the gowns and such.

I love hearing about what other people thought of it and their impressions. (though I never watch the show, being as I am on the other side of the ocean and all that...)

-d-

You didn’t miss much this year, diane. It was like being trapped in a glitzy political re-education camp for three-plus hours, only none of us sitting through it at home got any $250,000 goody bags. Diversity, the evils of slavery, digs at unnamed presidential candidates alleged to be too chummy with Wall Street, diversity, sexual assault victims, diversity, climate change, and the veep showed up to give a heartfelt if rather confused exhortation to “Take the pledge!” There’s always a little bit of this at the Academy Awards and it isn’t always bad, but this was sort of stupefying. The star wattage was also low, whether due to the boycott or other reasons.

Oh yes, I adore Mark Rylance. An Actor's Actor, who speaks with fresh clarity for the everyman audience member. Al Pacino said:

Mark Rylance makes the Bard sound as if Shakespeare had written the words for him (Rylance) the night before.

If any of you recall the opening ceremony of the London Olympics, Kenneth Branagh kicked things off with a wonderful quote from The Tempest. Originally Mark Rylance was also supposed to participate with some Shakespeare, but his stepdaughter committed suicide shortly before the Games began, and he was too heartbroken to participate. To see a variety of his skills:

A Heroic Welsh King

Henry V Saint Crispin's Day Speech

A Slow Witted American Straight Man

Boeing Boeing on Broadway

And Trailer Park English Trash

Jerusalem

...It was like being trapped in a glitzy political re-education camp for three-plus hours, only none of us sitting through it at home got any $250,000 goody bags. Diversity, the evils of slavery, digs at unnamed presidential candidates alleged to be too chummy with Wall Street, diversity, sexual assault victims, diversity, climate change, and the veep showed up to give a heartfelt if rather confused exhortation to “Take the pledge!” There’s always a little bit of this at the Academy Awards and it isn’t always bad, but this was sort of stupefying. The star wattage was also low, whether due to the boycott or other reasons.

I nominate dirac for the BalletAlert Academy's commentary of the year, in the non-ballet category for acerbic wit.

If dirac wins, will the bottom screen scroll be used to thank people?

Thank you, Jayne. :)

It was really nice to see Rylance up there. He won for a terrific performance that was also unshowy, he did no campaigning whatsoever, and he beat Stallone. Trifecta!

In regard to the thread topic - I kinda liked Jennifer Lawrence getting her Courtney Love groove on.