This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SCFTA 2016/2017 Season

In case anyone is planning on attending Tour de Force III this Saturday, Diana Vishneva and Edward Watson will no longer be appearing. Sergei Polunin replaces Watson, but in a different piece by Maliphant ("Silent Echo") and Phillip Stepin replaces Vishneva. The box office is refunding tickets--I decided to bail as I have been through enough masochistic suffering from these productions to not even get to see Ed Watson in the flesh and no Vishneva.

I was also extremely unhappy to learn that Edward Watson would not be appearing, apparently due to visa problems -  hard to believe, but what do I know . . . .  I will attend, but I agree that these productions are rarely satisfying for the price.

Visa troubles are more frequent that you might think -- I have no insight on this particular situation, but hear regularly about artists being closed out of the country for all kinds of scheduling issues that would, on first glance, seem ridiculous.

It looks like ABT is coming to Segerstrom with Ratmansky's Whipped Cream - March 15 - March 19:

https://www.scfta.org/events/detail.aspx?id=14553&utm_source=Email_marketing&utm_campaign=Eblast_ABTWhippedCreamOnSale&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail

"WORLD PREMIERE
With Pacific Symphony

Take a trip into a colorful world of delicious characters and dancing sweets in a whimsical blend of fantasy and surrealism from Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky and pop-surrealist visionary Mark Ryden with music by Richard Strauss.

In this full-length confection, a young boy overindulges at a Viennese pastry shop and falls into a delirium. To help the boy escape from his attending physician, the boy dreams of his triumphant rescue by Princess Praline and her court, replete with Princess Tea Flower, Prince Coffee as well as marching Marzipan, concluding in a festive celebration! As light as meringue, Richard Strauss' score is the perfect inspiration for this all-new production destined to delight ballet fans of all ages."

Principal Casting for “Whipped Cream”
(Artists and program subject to change)

Wednesday, March 15 at 7:30 p.m.
Daniil Simkin (The Boy)
Stella Abrera (Princess Tea Flower)
David Hallberg (Prince Coffee)
Sarah Lane (Princess Praline)

Thursday, March 16 at 7:30 p.m.
Herman Cornejo* (The Boy)
Hee Seo* (Princess Tea Flower)
Cory Stearns* (Prince Coffee)
Cassandra Trenary* (Princess Praline)

Friday, March 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Jeffrey Cirio* (The Boy)
Isabella Boylston* (Princess Tea Flower)
Alban Lendorf* (Prince Coffee)
Misty Copeland* (Princess Praline)

Saturday, March 18 at 2 p.m.
Daniil Simkin (The Boy)
Gillian Murphy* (Princess Tea Flower)
James Whiteside* (Prince Coffee)

Saturday, March 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Herman Cornejo (The Boy)
Hee Seo (Princess Tea Flower)
Cory Stearns (Prince Coffee)
Cassandra Trenary (Princess Praline)

Sunday, March 19 at 1:00 p.m.
Jeffrey Cirio (The Boy)
Isabella Boylston (Princess Tea Flower)
Alban Lendorf (Prince Coffee)
Misty Copeland (Princess Praline)

Sunday, March 19 at 6:30 p.m.
Daniil Simkin (The Boy)
Stella Abrera (Princess Tea Flower)
David Hallberg (Prince Coffee)

*Indicates debut in role

Edited by pherank

NYT article on Whipped Cream:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/arts/dance/alexei-ratmansky-whipped-cream-american-ballet-theater.html

'Mr. Ratmansky discovered the music by chance in the early 1990s, when he spotted a CD on a trip to Japan soon after he and his wife, Tatiana Kilivniuk, had left Kiev to join the Winnipeg Ballet. “At the time, food was scarce in the Ukraine, you could buy nothing, and suddenly there was all this stuff,” he said. “Tatiana loves whipped cream and would run to the stores to buy those cans you can squirt. After I found the music, I did a little extract for a choreography workshop where I was the whipped cream and she was a little boy, eating it.”

The music stayed in the back of Mr. Ratmansky’s mind, and a few years ago he began to discuss the project with Benjamin Millepied, at the time the director of the Paris Opera Ballet. “I felt very strongly that I needed a really powerful design element, because it’s a fantasy land that has to become a very specific world onstage,” Mr. Ratmansky said. “Benjamin and I had a lot of ideas, but we didn’t find the designer that both of us felt was it.”'

There has been a change in the program for La Scala performances on July 28-30.  Instead of Cinderella the company will present Giselle.  This is a rare chance for those residing on the West coast to see Marianela Nunez and Roberto Bolle in leading roles.  

Friday, July 28 at 7:30 p.m.
Misty Copeland (Giselle) 
Roberto Bolle (Albrecht) 

Saturday, July 29 at 7:30 p.m.
Marianela Núñez (Giselle) 
Roberto Bolle (Albrecht) 

Saturday, July 29 at 2:00 p.m.
Nicoletta Manni (Giselle) 
Claudio Coviello (Albrecht) 

Sunday, July 30 at 1:00 p.m.
Marianela Núñez (Giselle) 
Roberto Bolle (Albrecht)