This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SCFTA 2016/2017 Season

I see California already posted this, but it would be good to have a topic for any changes or updates that occur.

http://www.scfta.org/scfta/media/General/Press/2016-17-Full-Season-Announcement.pdf

Tour de Four - Gala - August 27, 2016

The program includes four works being performed at the Center for the first time: Clay by Vladimir Varnava, Zeigist by Alastair Marriott, Tristesse by Marcelo Gomes and Le Divertissement du Roi by Maxim Petrov. The casts include: Natalia Osipova, Zlata Yalinich, Joaquin de Luz, Marcelo Gomes, Denis Matvienko, Alexey Neviga, Vladimir Shklyarov, Friedemann Vogel, Edward Watson and soloists of the National Ballet of Canada, the Royal Ballet of London and the Mariinsky Theatre

Mikhailovsky Ballet - Laurencia - Nov 18-20, 2016

Featuring Osipova, Polunin, and Vasiliev

ABT - Nutcracker (Ratmanksy) - December 9-18, 2016

Batsheva Dance Company - TBA - February 8, 2017

ABT - Program TBA - March 14-19, 2017

Eifman Ballet (40th Anniversary Tour) - Red Giselle - June 16-18, 2017

La Scala - Cinderella (Bigonzetti) - July 28-30, 2017

Featuring Polina Semionova and Roberto Bolle

I'm pleased about ABT touring in addition to the Nutcracker--I thought we would be on a Nut-only diet for a few years. Tour de Force looks generally horrific as usual, though I appreciate the chance to see Edward Watson in person. I find the appearance of the merry band of lovers (Osipova, Polunin, and Vasiliev) interesting; hopefully some of the female principals from the Mik get a shot as well.

And thankfully, if we have to see Eifman we get Red Giselle. Having left the last two tour programs at intermission, I am pretty done with him (and Maillot after the tedious Chore last week).

I am less than enthusiastic about the Ardani-sponsored groups at Segerstrom next season. We have had Les Ballets de Monte Carlo now every other season three times, and I thought Chore a waste of dancers' abilities. There was no intermission allowing escape. Same for Eifman; all the recent works we get from Eifman (every other season yet again) center on a self-referential creative genius and at least one person in a mental asylum; the choreography is leveraged lifts, unmusical, and lacks fluidity. Now it appears that Mikhailovsky Ballet will be coming every other season.

I will look forward to seeing Edward Watson finally in person, and Shklyarov and Vogel - hopefully they will dance something worth their while. However, those Tour galas are usually jacked-up in price.

I hope we get the new Ratmansky Golden Cockerel. They have to do a production to justify the ballet school.

Where are San Francisco Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, Hamburg Ballet, Stuttgart Ballet, which have been at Segersrom in seasons past? Sigh.

I am less than enthusiastic about the Ardani-sponsored groups at Segerstrom next season. We have had Les Ballets de Monte Carlo now every other season three times, and I thought Chore a waste of dancers' abilities. There was no intermission allowing escape. Same for Eifman; all the recent works we get from Eifman (every other season yet again) center on a self-referential creative genius and at least one person in a mental asylum; the choreography is leveraged lifts, unmusical, and lacks fluidity. Now it appears that Mikhailovsky Ballet will be coming every other season.

I'm interested in responses to the Monte Carlo repertory -- Peter Boal brought his Romeo into the Pacific Northwest Ballet repertory a few years ago, and is adding his Cinderella next season.

We saw the Eifman company in Seattle a couple of times in the 90s, and at the time the over-the-top histrionics seemed connected to the Soviet dramballet tradition, but I must say your description makes me giggle!

"I find the appearance of the merry band of lovers (Osipova, Polunin, and Vasiliev) interesting; hopefully some of the female principals from the Mik get a shot as well."

A shot at a role or a shot at a man?

Zing!

To agree with Josette, I thought the Mikhailovsky Flames of Paris was not so great, and so I'm not thrilled about the idea of continual appearances. I dread the idea of more Eifman (even if I think Red Giselle is the least worst evil of his), and I find Maillot's choreography to be smug. A Josette says, the choke that Ardani has on the rep of SCFTA is beyond irritating and it grows more so each season.

Thankfully, the ABT Nutcracker/school opening ensures something I don't despise every season, and I hope the Golden Cockrel suggestion is what is planned. It wasn't even a few years ago that we had SFB; I would like to see more American companies (not out of any nationalistic pride), but because I have found so many of these European ballet projects to be interminable, and at least we would be able to see some classical ballet.

When was the last time Balanchine was even seen at the Center? I'm thinking SFB in Symphony in C several years ago???

PNB at Segerstrom would be a good fit logistically. No passport issues, straight shot on I-5 southbound for sets, and sets that fit a large stage. They should bring Coppelia!

And the same time zone, which is such a help. But I don't think they would be doing their Coppelia -- they're sharing that production with San Francisco, and I imagine there are restrictions involved.

In my season renewal email, the Mikhailovsky engagement now shows Le Corsaire, instead of Laurencia. The description now reads, "Celebrate this storied ballet, featuring Russian superstar Ivan Vasiliev, whose jaw-dropping leaps are the stuff of legends." So bye bye Osipova and Polunin??

In my season renewal email, the Mikhailovsky engagement now shows Le Corsaire, instead of Laurencia. The description now reads, "Celebrate this storied ballet, featuring Russian superstar Ivan Vasiliev, whose jaw-dropping leaps are the stuff of legends." So bye bye Osipova and Polunin??

Somehow I am not surprised. Not that I wanted to see Osipova in the first place. Disappointed about the change in the program, though.

I think you may be right, mussel. Recall that the Mik cancelled a prior tour to New York when McKenzie would not allow Osipova (who was a full time ABT principal at the time) to appear with the Mik at the Koch due to a non compete clause. If Osipova cannot participate in the upcoming tour, the Mik may scrap the NY leg. Hard to believe that the entire enterprise would be contingent on the availabilityi of a single dancer. I would go see the company regardless of whether Osipova was appearing.

added: But why would they go to the expense of appearing in CA for 3 days if they were not planning on also making at least one additional tour stop in the US? If they were going to cancel the NYC leg, why not also cancel the CA leg too and be done with it.

I think you may be right, mussel. Recall that the Mik cancelled a prior tour to New York when McKenzie would not allow Osipova (who was a full time ABT principal at the time) to appear with the Mik at the Koch due to a non compete clause. If Osipova cannot participate in the upcoming tour, the Mik may scrap the NY leg. Hard to believe that the entire enterprise would be contingent on the availabilityi of a single dancer. I would go see the company regardless of whether Osipova was appearing.

added: But why would they go to the expense of appearing in CA for 3 days if they were not planning on also making at least one additional tour stop in the US? If they were going to cancel the NYC leg, why not also cancel the CA leg too and be done with it.

Last time around, I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) they performed at Berkeley, so maybe they are doing that again? I imagine a big part of why they are coming is whatever deal Ardani and SCFTA clearly have.

The season mailer for SCFTA states: "To celebrate American Ballet Theatre's 25th visit to the Center, ABT will premiere a program never before performed by the Company or seen at the Center." Any thoughts what it might be?

The season mailer for SCFTA states: "To celebrate American Ballet Theatre's 25th visit to the Center, ABT will premiere a program never before performed by the Company or seen at the Center." Any thoughts what it might be?

Ratmansky's Paquita ? I hope...

Did SFB do the entire Paquita? Isn't it a two-act ballet? I've only seen the entire ballet on DVD with the Paris Opera Ballet.

The Ratmansky Paquita is 2 acts. Most of the US productions are the 1-act Grand Pas.

I think the Paris Opera Paquita is (except for the last act) Pierre Lacotte's choreography as he interprets the spirit of the original for today's audiences. The Ratmansky is throughout a reconstruction based on notations and other sources. It, too, involves interpretation of past materials, but is still a very different enterprise and different production -- at least as I understand.

I would be very interested to see ABT take on the Ratmansky Pacquita staging.

Did SFB do the entire Paquita? Isn't it a two-act ballet? I've only seen the entire ballet on DVD with the Paris Opera Ballet.

A one act. It was one part of a triple bill.

ABT danced the one-act Paquita, the divertissement of the last act, several decades ago. I have a video of it with Cynthia Gregory and Bujones as the leads, and Susan Jaffe dancing her solo memorably.