This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gisele Bethea in ABT

I just noticed that Gisele Bethea has been appointed as an apprentice at abt, since January 2016.

This is probably one of the most exciting recent news for the company.

Considering the current quality of the principal ballerinas, which to me is probably in an all time low (with few exceptions), having Gisele in the company as an apprentice when she is only 15yo, gives me hopes for better times, sighhh.....

I hope Gisele develops as expected, without rushing her.....abt should be reminded of Herrera's career....

Hopefully together with S. Brandt, C. Trenary and some other very talented and promising ballerinas that are still in the corps, we will have once again the company that we have always loved, delivering remarkable performances that will make us go back to the met night after night :)

At least I have an incentive now to go to see abt and witness Gisele's development and hopefully, enjoy her progress and transformation into a real artist......

I just noticed that Gisele Bethea has been appointed as an apprentice at abt, since January 2016.

Considering the current quality of the principal ballerinas, which to me is probably in an all time low (with few exceptions), having Gisele in the company as an apprentice when she is only 15yo, gives me hopes for better times, sighhh.....

Just thought to question about her age as it doesn't seem to be showing on her ABT posted bio, and it seems this Dance Spirit article stated her birthday as 1999? Which makes her 17, still very young but no match to Herrara: <http://www.dancespirit.com/uncategorized/gisele-bethea-shines-as-an-abt-apprentice/>

Not to be of disrespect to your thoughts Classic_Ballet, but Paloma did truly joined at 15 and I don't believe any have met that age since, and IMO may be a good idea to let these girls mature mentally too! Watching Misty's documentary, it seems the animosity from the older dancers towards younger dancer may be a factor too, and perhaps a consideration by the artistic?

Thus far, I believe, Waski has been the only one who has joined at 16 to be the closest to that age, as stated on her bio page? This was also something ABT presented recently the LA gala: <

With this said, I do agree seeing home grown dancers hopefully being nurtured to grow in the company vs imports is a pleasant change! :)

I always felt that Paloma was taken into the company too young and that if she'd had two more years of school training, she would have developed her artistry more. She was magnificent in her lower body, but I had a great deal of trouble watching her dance sometimes because her upper body was so stiff. I wish she'd been given the gift of time to develop her arms and shoulders.

Edited by vagansmom
To fix autocorrect error

Gisele was actually offered a contract to ABT Studio Company after winning junior division gold in the USA International Ballet Competition when she was just 15 (2014). She actually chose to defer the contract so she could keep training at home for another year and finish high school. So, theoretically, she could have progressed more quickly than she actually has if she had joined the company immediately upon invitation. I think she's a beautiful and confident dancer, and her decision to defer (while maybe "crazy" to some) actually shows a certain level of great maturity for a then-15 year old. Best of luck to her!

yes! I saw this roster update too, I'm definitely intrigued to see what happens especially since she has the technical talent and that little something extra to truly develop into the next big thing in ballet. I hope that she keeps that level head on her shoulders and continues to grow artistically so that she doesn't stagnate, get burnt out, or pushes/is pushed too soon. There's a great opportunity for both her and the company here, here's to hoping it works out right!

I hope Gisele develops as expected, without rushing her.....abt should be reminded of Herrera's career....

Hopefully together with S. Brandt, C. Trenary and some other very talented and promising ballerinas that are still in the corps, we will have once again the company that we have always loved, delivering remarkable performances that will make us go back to the met night after night :)

At least I have an incentive now to go to see abt and witness Gisele's development and hopefully, enjoy her progress and transformation into a real artist......

According to her FB account, Giselle was just promoted to be a member of the corp de ballet. congratulations.