This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Two promotions

I like Renata Shakirova more each time that I see her on the Bolshoi Ballet program, but interestingly more as a modern expressive dancer than a classicist. I’m sure the classical refinement will develop, perhaps it’s already there and I just haven’t noticed it yet. I am very impressed with her ‘contemporary’ sensitivity, the looseness, shaping and emotion of her dancing, perhaps as good as any I’ve seen in a classical dancer. I hope that she is able to sustain this as the demands of classical refinement increase.

Also mentioned by Swanilda8 in her blog that can be found at the Bolshoi Ballet discussion:

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/41034-bolshoi-ballet-tv-program/

“Xiao Suhua [a judge] really liked the performance today. Shakirova is light and gentle. (Ilze then interrupts to remark that she can’t believe nobody mentioned that Shakirova did a double assemblé. Ruzimatov agrees that he’s never before seen such a thing from a ballerina and congratulates her).”

Apparently she has considerable prowess as well.

Added comment:

Brigitte Lefèvre, judge and former Artistic Director of the Paris Opera Ballet, gave quite a look of approval after her performance of Wayne McGregor’s duet from “Infra” in today’s Bolshoi Ballet program. In this type of work Renata Shakirova is very well matched with her partner, Kimin Kim.

Renata Shakirova is talented and looks to be on the fast track at the Mariinsky.....fresh out of Vaganova she began getting major roles. I have less problems with her being promoted (although others are just as talented or even more talented and are still stuck in the corps or as coryphees).

But I have to say I am stunned by Chebykina. The two times I saw her in major roles (Gamzatti and Odette/Odile) I thought she was completely in over her head. For me her overly exaggerated swan arms and Lucille Ball acting in Swan Lake turned me off. Her Gamzatti was very tentative in my opinion.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Radvanovsky is about to complete Donizetti's Three Queens at the Met which I personally find crazy. So this phenomenon of rising non-talents (my opinion) is everywhere! Bel canto? Can belto!