This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stuttgart Ballet in Japan?

Sonja

Stuttgart Ballet came to Japan after its eight years absence. The company performed John Cranko's Romeo and Juliet and Taming of Shrew, and I saw both in Tokyo.

As far as I can see, Sue Jin Kan won the biggest praise among other dancers in these performances. In R&J, Sue Jin Kan/Robert Tewsley and Yseult Lendvai/Vladimir Malakhov were casted in Juliet/Romeo. Kan was beautiful, delicate, and really passionate Juliet. I adored her exceptional expression. The pairing of Kan and Tewsley was fine. The passion and dynamism they showed in the balcony scene were far beyond the other pair Lendvai/Malakhov. Marcia Haydee performed Lady Capulet was a big present for Japanese ballet goers.

Sue Jin Kan was fine as Kate in Shrew, too. She completely changed from a lovely young girl to a rough, crabby shrew. Philip Balanchievich (sp?) was really handsome Petrouchio. His strong techniques excited the audience.

The dancers were generally well trained. I've never seen a company such that all dancers had so beautiful legs! I hope the company returns again soon with Cranko's another masterpiece, Onegin.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: TATSU ]

Tatsu, thanks for your report! Glad you enjoyed the performances - and your feeling about Lendvai/Malakhov in R&J is exactly the same I had when I saw them in "Lady of the Camellias". (I have, however, seen Yseult Lendvai with other partners, and then I thought their rapport was much better....)