This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marie Taglioni

Natalia

Taglioni is finally getting her own thread on Ballet Alert! I searched...but none earlier, it seems.

Didn't know where else to put the following find.

The Villa Marie Taglioni on Lake Como can be rented/leased for short-term stays. This is what I plan to do when I win the next Powerball lottery. Anyone else interested ?

https://www.luxuryexplorer.com/Destinations/Italy/Lake-Como/villas/Villa-Maria-Taglioni

Not exactly a humble abode I would say. And to think of that she spent her old age almost penniless in London. Very sad indeed... But not unusual, she was not the only great ballerina who had a miserable old age in poverty and sickness.

I just read a scholarly article that disputed this "miserable old age" story, which seemed to be based on the idea that she was "reduced" to giving dance classes to the daughters of the wealthy. According to this article, Taglioni taught dance into her old age because she enjoyed teaching, much as many current retired dancers do. I am always amazed that my current ballet teacher, recently retired from a first soloist position at the National Ballet of Canada, enjoys teaching a klutz like me, but she says she does, and I think it's genuine.

The great skater, JoJo Starbuck said this in an interview:

On working at the rink at Rockefeller Center in New York City: They call me their head pro. I skate there on occasion, but mostly I teach the early morning classes, which I teach to this amazing group of adult recreational skaters. They’re all very accomplished people who live or work in midtown Manhattan, and my youngest is probably in her late 20s and my oldest is in her mid-80s, a producer at NBC for the Today Show. I’ve met these great accomplished people who’ve always fantasized about being a skater but never had the opportunity. And through this class they get to have private ice for one hour twice a week, and we have breakfast, we put on our favorite CD, we lace up, we stretch, and we just have a ball. And my goal is to just give them a beautiful experience and just really let them feel all the things that make skating a joy, to feel beautiful and accomplished. It’s not about achieving any special requirement for a test or a competition. We do things to music, we put combinations together, and it’s just completely exhilarating. We get off the ice and the flags are waving and the sun is beaming down on Prometheus — it’s a great way to start your day, you can go off to work and kind of feel like you can conquer the world.

http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-44-jojo-starbuck/