This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2016: Swan Lake

Cute photo, but I’m curious: it looks like they are bare-legged, no tights. I realize this is a rehearsal, but I hope they wear tights during the performance. I like the bare-legged look in contemporary ballets, but defintely not Swan Lake.

They are definitely wearing pink tights in that photo--no need to worry on that front! :)

Sasha De Sola apparently danced in the Pas De Trois on opening night, so she is able to perform - that's good news.

I hope Froustey is able to really enjoy her O/O dancing, and not fall into the trap of over-thinking things - then I'm sure she will do very well.

Sylve's classical ballet approach is fairly distinctive: I find her movements to be very spare and well formed. Not exactly minimalist, it's just that she doesn't bother with lots of details and is very careful not to ever blur the distinction between movements. Many less experienced dancers have a tendency to rush through the movements, especially if it is a technically difficult sequence, but Sylve seems to approach those passages with an air of "let's be calm, measured, and unerring". Which I think relates to her weird ability to 'suspend time' - it's almost as if she is dancing in a slow, silent world. And I don't mean to say that Sylve isn't a musical dancer, it's just that everything else starts to fall away from her into a darker, indistinct and silent background - like watching silent film footage of a classical dancer.

There's also an instructive quality to her execution of the movements (though fortunately never pedantic). I imagine I can hear her voice narrating behind the movements, "see how I'm…, and notice how…"

But wait, there's more! Mathilde Froustey says she will be posting some 'behind the scenes' photos on Instagram for SFB

I like her tweet: "Question: we eat ducks and gooses why not swans?Are we scared there's a princess inside? But we do eat frogs... I'm confused."

And someone answered back. "Not in England. The Swans in UK belong to the monarch since middle ages. Eating/killing is a serious no no."

- I did not know that.

Here's another link, not as recent, Sylve has more fire (and ice) in her approach to Black Swan with

Friedemann Vogel:

(It's a round stage and the focus is not so clear, but you'll enjoy it, I think!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz9RK5UIajc

Her Swan Lakes with NYCB were my favorites!

Thanks SZ - nice find. It's frustrating that the visuals are so blurry, but that's the way it goes.

Do you happen to know the year of this performance?

Ooh, what a great thread to discover! (Why on earth didn't I come searching earlier?!) I'll be seeing Sylve/Di Lanno on Sat pm 2/27. Can't wait! And I'm putting money down on the bet that the female principals who didn't get rehearsed for Swan Lake (notably Chung) are instead being rehearsed for Coppelia. Time will tell...

A couple of new SFB Swan Lake photos to add:

"We've had quite the week. Four more to go before these swans become Swanildas friends!"

https://instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/11848893_670637069743319_304373854_n.jpg

"Swan Lake is one of the most well known ballets in the world, and I am so grateful I got to be a part of it. Getting to dance with this fantastic company, as a trainee, in one of the hardest yet beautiful corps de ballet pieces is an opportunity that I will remember for the rest of my life. The music is enchanting and the experience, wonderful!" - SF Ballet School Trainee, Natasha Sheehan

https://instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/12729626_1688959688014680_418431956_n.jpg

Is there anyone who has managed to see multiple performances (with different leads) that would like to share their impressions?

EDIT: CHANGE OF CAST FOR SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28TH:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCTjqhFnrdO/?taken-by=lapetitefrench_

Is there anyone who has managed to see multiple performances (with different leads) that would like to share their impressions?

EDIT: CHANGE OF CAST FOR SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28TH:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCTjqhFnrdO/?taken-by=lapetitefrench_

I saw the 2/20 matinee Sylve / Di Lanno / Helimets, and 2/25 Froustey / Ingham / Bennet. It's taking some time to gather my reactions coherently: two interesting and VERY different interpretations. I'll try and post something tomorrow.

And I'd recommend trying to see Froustey on Sunday, even if you need to stand. Her interpretation may not be to everyone's taste, but trust me, you won't be bored!

I saw the 2/20 matinee Sylve / Di Lanno / Helimets, and 2/25 Froustey / Ingham / Bennet. It's taking some time to gather my reactions coherently: two interesting and VERY different interpretations. I'll try and post something tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear more. ;)

Froustey seems to be the natural dramatist of the female leads - I'm sure it makes Tomasson happy to have a dancer with some fire in her veins. It takes all kinds. Tan and Van Patten can be very dramatic performers, to be sure, but that isn't a feature of their everyday personalities. Froustey is more naturally volatile in temperament.

Sylve, if you know about her personal style/aesthetic, might seem like a candidate for crazy-divadom, but when she puts on the work tiara, she's in another world, and channeling other parts of her personality with sometimes surprising results.