This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Poll: Vote for your favorite version of RAYMONDA

Natalia

What is your favorite version of the full-length RAYMONDA?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite RAYMONDA?

• La Scala (Vikharev's recon of Petipa's 1898 original)
    • Kirov-Mariinsky (1948 Konstantin Sergeyev)
    • Paris Opera Ballet (1983 Rudolf Nureyev)
    • Bolshoi (1984 Yuri Grigorovich)
    • Other full-evening version

Yes - I agree totally. That is it in a nutshell!!! Yuri Fateyev is entirely to blame.

Fateyev does operate under certain constraints--notably Gergiev's leadership and what seems to be the latter's plan to have the Mariinsky at all times in 3 or 4 or 5 places at once. Fortunately, Skoryk's second performance of Raymonda in D.C. (which I saw) was quite beautiful and I am glad to have seen it. (Of course I am very sad that I likely will never see Lopatkina dance Raymonda in the theater.)

I don't feel able to vote, but do love the Mariinsky Sergeyev production.

After seeing three performances of the Mariinsky version in DC, My vote does not change: La Scala recon by a mile. The Mariinsky's has simply too many wacky changes such as the introduction of Abderakhman to Scene 1....Ray is supposed to first see him in the nightmare of sc2, then be shocked to meet him in A2 at the Cour d'Amour. I also don't care for the now-simplistic Virsaladze designs, although they were nicely refreshed 15 or so years ago...but that raggedy floor covering on the steps, sloppily stapled (or scotch-taped?), always gets me.

After seeing three performances of the Mariinsky version in DC, My vote does not change: La Scala recon by a mile. The Mariinsky's has simply too many wacky changes such as the introduction of Abderakhman to Scene 1....Ray is supposed to first see him in the nightmare of sc2, then be shocked to meet him in A2 at the Cour d'Amour. I also don't care for the now-simplistic Virsaladze designs, although they were nicely refreshed 15 or so years ago...but that raggedy floor covering on the steps, sloppily stapled (or scotch-taped?), always gets me.

Do you mean the steps in the dream scene? If so, I agree. I thought the steps were covered in sheets and very dangerous (slipping potential for dancers), but when I sat up close 2nd row for Lopatkina's Raymonda this past summer I saw it was built to look ragged. But even though I think the reconstruction sets are more beautiful I love the Sergeyev version anyway.

This version with the saracen introduction in act I and the non WL element, can be somewhat confusing. Sometimes you wonder why is that the enemy (he is a muslim chief during the times of the crusades...the same ones that de Brienne is fighting on)- is received with smiles and courtsies in the de Doris celebration. The original libretto is way more substantial and clear. BTW, Natasha...the metal things hanging in Abderrhakman's costume were there for all performances. They are indeed noisy, particularly during his pdd with Raymonda.

I noticed the clanging only of Sat night and I believe that I noticed the bottom set of metal circles were loose...something had not been secured or came loose. It's in my "notes" loud and clear even from way up...as is your amazing "Bravo!" after the A2 adagio, Cubanmiamiboy. (Ha ha)

I noticed the clanging only of Sat night and I believe that I noticed the bottom set of metal circles were loose...something had not been secured or came loose. It's in my "notes" loud and clear even from way up...as is your amazing "Bravo!" after the A2 adagio, Cubanmiamiboy. (Ha ha)

Yes, the whole raw of metal clings hang only from the top. Very noisy. And about my "Bravo!", I channeled my inner CubanHavanaBoy!.. ;-)

Back to the poll. La Scala recon still ahead and Bolshoi is 2nd.

No need to have seen them live to vote, since all of them are available online or by purchase. Of course, you'll need TIME...one of the longer ballets.

La Scala - Vikharev, using Harvard notes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLoyDuUqg8A

Bolshoi - Grigorovich:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q-_C0iwIHwI

Mariinsky - K. Sergeyev:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTtes3h1VUg

Paris - Nureyev:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPxvmRYBtU