This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I went to see Hail, Caesar! this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It's an affectionate send-up of a 50s-era movie studio (M-G-M in particular).

I can report that the Scarlett Johansson aquacal number (with Johansson playing an Esther Williams-style aquatic star) and the Channing Tatum tap dance number (with Tatum as a Gene Kelly-style musical star) were both swell.

Loved the Johansson character's predicament in the movie which was 100% based on a real event from Old Hollywood. (I won't spoil it here, though.)

Really looked forward to this, but disappointed. There were three great 'skits'----the Johanssen bit, the dancing sailors and the best one -- Ralph Fiennes trying to teach English to a cowboy star. The transitional scenes were tedious....

That's par for the course when it comes to the Coen brothers. Hit and miss, and sometimes it's mostly miss.

Finally got to see this a couple nights ago and had an excellent time. It was an affectionate satire, which isn't easy to do. And the production numbers were indeed extra fun. The dancing sailors made reference to just about every gobs on the loose number I've ever seen.